x4093k

White Plains Working Fire Photos

42 posts in this topic

I don't know.....at the risk of turning this into an aerial/ground ladder debate, I'm going to say that working off an aerial is ALWAYS safer. Look, I work on a job were we don't operate on peaked roofs, ever. Someone much wiser than me determined that risk vs. reward made operating on peaked roofs unnecessary. I'm sure we could debate that for ever, but if you DO have ego cut on, wouldn't you rather have a reliable ladder under you? I've never heard of a ladder burning through, but we've seen firemen fall through perfectly good looking roofs because all the joists are burned away. When aerial ladders fail, it's national news, ground ladder accidents happen all the time.

Who said this roof was going to give? M' ave I'm not talking about all fires or all the time. But I am talking about this fire and when arial's are at such a low angle that climbing them is less than safe. And of course if the roof might be undermined due to fire don't go on it. Or work out of a bucket. Btw working off of a stick to cut a roof is no picnic, with it bouncing and the temptation to side load it. You could throw off its structural integrity. For "this" fire and those like it I'd rather climb a reliable ground ladder 24 to 30 ft up than an arial 40 to 60 ft out. Now were not talking about rescues cause if we are I might do something different but thats another thread.

efdcapt115 and Newburgher like this

Paper had said they had 18 ff's. Is that what's considered the norm for WP or is that a lot?

That is actually not the norm for White Plains maybe they had 18 ff's at the scene but we should have about 27-30 ff's in service providing we have 3 ff's per rig and have 9 pieces of apparatus in service. Maybe the IA was a little off because I dont think you need three aerials at a house fire such as this one and having put spare rigs in service never heard that before so idk bout it as I wasnt there nor did I hear when the call came out. And

Sorry, yes I think that is the ALF delivered in 2009, though I admit I was thinking it was delivered more recently then that. In any event, it's the first time I recall seeing this truck in a photo in this forum.

Noteworthy I think is that it's the first ALF rig WPFD has put in service in over fifty years. I think the last ALF was WPFD Truck 33 which came in 1957. At that time ALL three truck companies had ALFs. They were all replaced by Maxims during the 1970s.

Actually tommyguy White Plains has had 2 different American Lafrances in service in 50 years Tower Ladder 6 is a Metropolitan/ American Lafrance and the old Engine 70 now 71 is a Freightliner/ American Lafrance.

Paper had said they had 18 ff's. Is that what's considered the norm for WP or is that a lot?

The incident report shows the initial assignment was two engines, a truck and the rescue company. I think the tower ladder was special called. Anyway that's five companies and that would probably be about eighteen officers and firefighters.

Since it was Engine 66 that first reported fire showing and Engine 67 was apparently second due it would appear to me the companies that would normally have responded first and second due were busy. Be interesting to know.

The additional engine and truck company mentioned were sent to the scene two hours after WPFD first arrived, presumably as relief.

NFPA states for a residential structure fire such as this it's supposed to be 18 within the first 8 minutes?

Barry?

Great knockdown wp! Leaving the engine along side the hydrant and having two ladders sandwich it works great especially in narrow streets. Closer stretch and both sides of house covered. 71 and 74 are usually great with coordinating with which way they are responding. Great jop wp once again!

efdcapt115 and tglass59 like this

I agree it looks like they did a great job, a fire that could've easily gotten out-of-control.

As a former White Plains resident I am a bit confused. If the IA is correct it looks like the initial engine company assignment was Engs. 66 and 67. Normally the assignment would be (I think) Engs 65, 70 and possibly 71. So that sounds like something was else was going on at the same time on the south side of White Plains.

71 and 74 are usually great with coordinating with which way they are responding. Great jop wp once again!

If I can ask a question without ruffling any feathers, the IA shows Eng 71 was requested by 2512 at 12:28 PM, two hours after WPPD first requested that Fire respond. As far as I know Eng 74 is North White Plains.

NFPA states for a residential structure fire such as this it's supposed to be 18 within the first 8 minutes?

Barry?

For a home that is no more that 2,000sq ft and no basement...otherwise, you need more.

Seems to me the aerial issue is "much to do about nothing". Coming from a FD that runs short handed all the time, it appears they did what we likely would have: dump the aerial given the conditions on arrival, use every firefighter available for getting the first line in place, vent opposite the attack and search. If things changed I have all the faith in the world any of my operators could have made that stick by turning on to the street on the left and backing the turntable under the power lines, I'd certainly hope WPFD has the same thoughts. Different staffing would certainly change this, but being short means doing things sequentially as opposed to simultaneously most days.

grumpyff likes this

Actually tommyguy White Plains has had 2 different American Lafrances in service in 50 years Tower Ladder 6 is a Metropolitan/ American Lafrance and the old Engine 70 now 71 is a Freightliner/ American Lafrance.

Thanks I did not know that.

Wonder what happens to TL6 when the new truck arrives?

Thanks I did not know that.

Wonder what happens to TL6 when the new truck arrives?

Tower Ladder 6 will stay until White Plains orders a new Tower Ladder in another maybe 3-5 years.

tommyguy likes this

I agree it looks like they did a great job, a fire that could've easily gotten out-of-control.

As a former White Plains resident I am a bit confused. If the IA is correct it looks like the initial engine company assignment was Engs. 66 and 67. Normally the assignment would be (I think) Engs 65, 70 and possibly 71. So that sounds like something was else was going on at the same time on the south side of White Plains.

If I can ask a question without ruffling any feathers, the IA shows Eng 71 was requested by 2512 at 12:28 PM, two hours after WPPD first requested that Fire respond. As far as I know Eng 74 is North White Plains.

Went by the station and talked to the guys Engines 65 & 70 were at drill school at the time of the call so they couldnt make it. And Engine 74 is North White Plains not White Plains.

tommyguy likes this

sorry for the confusion. I was referring to two companies in yonkers, tl71 and l 74 on how they work well together.