x4093k

White Plains Working Fire Photos

42 posts in this topic

Just a question with the different color coats, is that the company officer or the ladder company members wearing the tan coats? I figured its for ID purposes.

BFD1054 and 2231* like this

Just a question with the different color coats, is that the company officer or the ladder company members wearing the tan coats? I figured its for ID purposes.

Yeah, I always wondered that myself. I've seen engine guys with the tan coats as well.

Yellow coats are the Lieutenant, tan coats are theDeputy Chiefs or the Chief of the dept, Black are the firefighters

BFD1054 and sfrd18 like this

How far into the operation does that video begin?

Looks like a pretty good job by WPFD

I think, however, the the video kind of illustrates a common complaint among White Plains firefighters. They're always shorthanded.

tytin29, tglass59, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

There was a ladder company in front of the building...

Great Photos Chris, But the ladder is located infront of the exposure (and the supply line is blocking the "front" of the building).

791075, M' Ave, BFD1054 and 2 others like this

How come there is no ladder company in front of the fire building?

Did the eng forget its ground ladders???? :P

Im just kidding but where i volly we dont have a ladder nor do our neighbors, even if we call for one which is 15+ mins from request to scene time it will never make the front of the building either due to supply lines or driveways are just manuverable for a prius, but im all for a truck company on any house fire, moving from southern westchester to NW CT is a huge wake up call, i asked wheres the ladder? "oh we dont need one we only have a few 3 story houses mostly 2 and 2.5" ARE YOU KIDDING ME was my answer, ever hear of safe working platform and long runs on roofs? "we have a 36' ground ladder" Oh boy....

x4093k likes this

Great Photos Chris, But the ladder is located infront of the exposure (and the supply line is blocking the "front" of the building).

Exactly - and even if the chauffer wanted to enter the intersection a bit and spot the turntable by pulling hard left - the Chief's buggy is in the way.

we dont have a ladder nor do our neighbors

Obviously NOT from Westchester! LOL :P

Awesome pics though Chris!

sfrd18 likes this

I love the monday morning qb's on this site. bottom line is fire went out, everybody went home and the structure is still there.

You know how it generally works on this site. When it's your own department, it's "Monday Morning Quarterbacking", when it's someone elses department, it's "Post-Incident Critquing."

I love the monday morning qb's on this site. Bottom line is fire went out, everybody went home and the structure is still there.

Couldn't agree more and...

That's White Plains' NEW Ladder 32 and it really looks sharp, doesn't it?

If the supply line had been laid along the curb before charging, the ladder could have been located in front of the fire building.

Looks like another rig parked under the trees.

Couldn't agree more and...

That's White Plains' NEW Ladder 32 and it really looks sharp, doesn't it?

Wait, the new Ladder 32 as in the 2007 ALF delivered in 2009, or the new, new Ladder 32 that was out to bid a while back. If so, what make/model is it and what year?

Wait, the new Ladder 32 as in the 2007 ALF delivered in 2009, or the new, new Ladder 32 that was out to bid a while back. If so, what make/model is it and what year?

That looks just like the one I saw last week down there, the American Lafrance. Based on that picture and search in google, thats the older (2009) ladder.

This thread here: http://www.emtbravo....s-ny-ladder-32/ says the new ladder suppose to be delivered by now I would assume. Who knows...

(Maybe TheNewLadder32 would know.. :P )

Edited by x4093k
sfrd18 and 2231* like this

Couldn't agree more and[/]

I couldn't agree less. Is the point of this site to critique operations and procedures or is it just to talk about who's got a shiny new truck. (even though we all DO like shiny new trucks).

There is no fire operation anywhere ever that is text book perfect. Anyone who feels thier operation requires no critique, comment or question is dangerously self confident. We Monday morning quarterback because that's how everyone learns!

From the look of the smoke colum from those great aerial photos, it looks like they managed to make a great stop. From the video, it looks like that house will be perfectly sound for renovation. With today's interior furnishings and petroleum products, a saved structure is a good stop. Well done.

Asking about positioning ect. is just that, a question. It invites debate and discussion and no one should take offense, as long as questioning parties act appropriately.

791075, 210, Bnechis and 10 others like this

It indeed was a great stop by WPFD as only west side of the house i think suffered all the damage as the east was untouched so they got there fast and made a great stop. White Plains also wasnt understaffed if you see the IA they had all three ladder companies there three engines and a rescue they even put spares into service as the manpower either went up or was a last second decision. And lol at (x4093k) that isnt the newest Ladder 32 it is the 2009 one i think are ladder will probably be delayed just like this one was as it is coming from American Lafrance from what im hearing so we might have to sit tight for a while and keep using our modo use what you got and try to go with less.

2231* likes this

How come there is no ladder company in front of the fire building?

ladder would have been no good. power lines.(look at Picture # 1 #2 and # 4) like tglass said fire went out nobody got hurt and the house is still standing. WPFD did a great job making a great stop and preventing the fire from getting to the attic with little man power and one truck comp OOS. Also was a delay in calling FD,

sfrd18, CHIEFPHIL and tglass59 like this

ladder would have been no good. power lines.(look at Picture # 1 #2 and # 4) like tglass said fire went out nobody got hurt and the house is still standing. WPFD did a great job making a great stop and preventing the fire from getting to the attic with little man power and one truck comp OOS. Also was a delay in calling FD,

Yes WPFD did a great stop. Yes we see the power lines. With a rear mount you put the turn table under them and rotate the stick and you made the roof. Simple truck positioning, done all the time and the stick is well below the danger zone.

Do you REALLY need an Aerial in front of that house? Come on that is a ground ladder job all the way, and they are certainly accesable if the rig made the turn or even stayed there if they had to. While I would agree it is good practice to leave the front open for a truck company give it a rest

Do you REALLY need an Aerial in front of that house?

No, but if you can put it there, why leave it up the block. If its positioned and conditions worsten, you are in a better position to react. Particularly if the primary truck crew is not available latter to operate the unit.

Come on that is a ground ladder job all the way, and they are certainly accesable if the rig made the turn or even stayed there if they had to.

While it clearly can be done with ground ladders, is it not safer to operate off an arial if you can? And more important if you do not practice rig placement at jobs like this, as you rarely get to do it in training, you will most likely not do it when its really needed. While I suspect this is a 1950's or 60 stick built, how do you know if its not light weight truss? Even if it is not, good practice for when it is.

While I would agree it is good practice to leave the front open for a truck company give it a rest

fair enough

M' Ave and CHIEFPHIL like this

Wait, the new Ladder 32 as in the 2007 ALF delivered in 2009, or the new, new Ladder 32 that was out to bid a while back.

Sorry, yes I think that is the ALF delivered in 2009, though I admit I was thinking it was delivered more recently then that. In any event, it's the first time I recall seeing this truck in a photo in this forum.

Noteworthy I think is that it's the first ALF rig WPFD has put in service in over fifty years. I think the last ALF was WPFD Truck 33 which came in 1957. At that time ALL three truck companies had ALFs. They were all replaced by Maxims during the 1970s.

Is it safer to operate off an arial? It depends on the angle,distance to the roof and the pitch of the roof. I would much rather climb a ground ladder to this particular roof than a arial extended 60-80 feet at a very low angle. Working off a ariel is not always safer. Seeing guys carrying tools while going up a ladder that is extended 50-80 ft at low angles would not be safer in this particular case or similar incidents. But if you don't position an arial in front you have less options from the start. Looks like a good job and a great stop!

antiquefirelt and efdcapt115 like this

Is it safer to operate off an arial? It depends on the angle,distance to the roof and the pitch of the roof. I would much rather climb a ground ladder to this particular roof than a arial extended 60-80 feet at a very low angle. Working off a ariel is not always safer. Seeing guys carrying tools while going up a ladder that is extended 50-80 ft at low angles would not be safer in this particular case or similar incidents. But if you don't position an arial in front you have less options from the start. Looks like a good job and a great stop!

Some one gets it :)

I don't know.....at the risk of turning this into an aerial/ground ladder debate, I'm going to say that working off an aerial is ALWAYS safer. Look, I work on a job were we don't operate on peaked roofs, ever. Someone much wiser than me determined that risk vs. reward made operating on peaked roofs unnecessary. I'm sure we could debate that for ever, but if you DO have ego cut on, wouldn't you rather have a reliable ladder under you? I've never heard of a ladder burning through, but we've seen firemen fall through perfectly good looking roofs because all the joists are burned away. When aerial ladders fail, it's national news, ground ladder accidents happen all the time.

SageVigiles likes this

It indeed was a great stop by WPFD as only west side of the house i think suffered all the damage as the east was untouched so they got there fast and made a great stop. White Plains also wasnt understaffed if you see the IA they had all three ladder companies there three engines and a rescue they even put spares into service as the manpower either went up or was a last second decision. And lol at (x4093k) that isnt the newest Ladder 32 it is the 2009 one i think are ladder will probably be delayed just like this one was as it is coming from American Lafrance from what im hearing so we might have to sit tight for a while and keep using our modo use what you got and try to go with less.

Paper had said they had 18 ff's. Is that what's considered the norm for WP or is that a lot?