ddoyle195

Aerial Apparatus questions

17 posts in this topic

Good afternoon everyone, I am trying to help my brother and sister firefighters with their promotional packets. I have the following aerial apparatus questions that I am looking for answers to:

1) Describe the capacity of the trucks hydraulic system.

2) Describe the max. hydraulic operating pressure.

3) Describe how the hydraulic fluid is checked and it's capacity.

Any help and answers is greatly appreciated. I look forward to some of your responses and have a great and safe day.

2231* likes this

Wouldn't this information vary by manufacturer?

2231* likes this

JM15 is right. This would vary by manufacturer. The information can also be found in the trucks operators manual.

2231* likes this

Ok Lets go with a Sutphen TS-100 mid mount, and an E-One 95ft. platform 2000's models.

Good afternoon everyone, I am trying to help my brother and sister firefighters with their promotional packets. I have the following aerial apparatus questions that I am looking for answers to:

1) Describe the capacity of the trucks hydraulic system.

2) Describe the max. hydraulic operating pressure.

3) Describe how the hydraulic fluid is checked and it's capacity.

Any help and answers is greatly appreciated. I look forward to some of your responses and have a great and safe day.

If I found out this is how my officer candidates got their answers, I'd be very disappointed. Look the web is great and serves to uncover all types of information, but looking in a forum for answers that should be found within one's own FD manuals is just crazy and another word that rhymes with it.

I don't think the test is for the physical answer maybe it's to test the ability to find the info in the proper place. Getting the right answer ment you went to the right place. Stick with the manual that came with the truck or check with the manufacturer things can change even if it's just the year of the the truck.

2231* and Bnechis like this

If I found out this is how my officer candidates got their answers, I'd be very disappointed. Look the web is great and serves to uncover all types of information, but looking in a forum for answers that should be found within one's own FD manuals is just crazy and another word that rhymes with it.

really? its a simple question and a simple answer. you guys always have to been the rudest you can to these people who have questions YOU don't approve of. Its a emergency services forum, hes allowed to ask questions.

and people wonder why theres dozens and dozens of people who just "view" instead of post anymore.. the answer is right here.

Im not into any argument about this, its just disgraceful that some of you would reply like that.

Haggerty 1029 and hfdr19 like this

really? its a simple question and a simple answer. you guys always have to been the rudest you can to these people who have questions YOU don't approve of. Its a emergency services forum, hes allowed to ask questions.

and people wonder why theres dozens and dozens of people who just "view" instead of post anymore.. the answer is right here.

Im not into any argument about this, its just disgraceful that some of you would reply like that.

Really, it's just simple question? Why don't you answer it for him? Not so simple when you don't know the answers or even the whole question (hint: you need to know the apparatus to reference the proper manual). My point was twofold: One, looking in forums is a great way to find the wrong answer. Maybe someone just posts an answer, with no idea what aerial his FD uses, and that information is used and subsequently wrong. And two, if this is part of a promotional packet, the candidates should be finding their own answers for themselves, and know where to look (this not being that place).

Maybe my post isn't as tactful as it might have been, but it's factual. I have no reason to be rude to people asking questions, in fact I will always try to answer those I can answer factually. I agree this is a great place to ask questions and seek opinions, but the type of questions posed were very limited in where the answers could come from and did not provide the proper information for anyone here to answer. The note about trying to help those seeking promotion merely notes to me that the candidates are not seeking the info on their own, something I think is a mistake. But maybe this is the day we live in where easy a priority over right? Funny, I like men and women who lead others to not seek the easiest path, but instead favor the correct one, but that's just me.

Bnechis likes this

OK I only drive the ladder trucks in my agency when there are no firemen around to do it, but somehow I eneded up with an owners manual once.

Reffering to an older 100 foot Sutphen tower, there were 60 gallons of hydo fluid. No clue as to what pressure it ran at, but there was a guage for such things, I just don't remember what it ran at, since as long as it ran, it ran and I didn't care much beyone that.

The platform was rated I believe at 800 lbs WITHOUT the waterway in use, and 600 with. Interesting rule was that only ONE of the two master streams, when using a straight tip, could be aimed above horizontal- I guess if you were to have two big firemen up there, and they both pointed the nozzels upward to get better range, then that was too much downward weight on the boom. Our new tower has no such rule.

You checked the fluid by opening the fill. There was a can shaped strainer that set into the tank, built into the hole. The hydro fluid was supposed to be right at the botton of the strainer- about 8 inches. If you could see the bottom of the strainer, it was out of the fluid, and more was needed.

There is also a lifting eye on the boom, which I think might have had a 400lb limit.

Remember the hydo system has to run the stabilizers as well as the boom, so lots of fluid.

Sorry I don't know more- you kind of made me see, once again, how little I know about what I am doing when it comes to the Nomex side of things.

Bill

x129K and x4093k like this

Billy...you're showing your age buddy...it's PBI or better now...Nomex is so "cotton duck"..LOL

Bnechis likes this

Bill:

Thank you for your in-sight, a huge help. Yes I 100% agree candidates should be able to seek out their own information. However, if they ask for help and you do not know the answer to it's fullest shouldn't you start to pull from your pool of help? Forums is a great way to do that along with manuals, manufacturers. That is exactly what I did in this instance. By no means did I want to start a shitstorm on a forum. Have a good night and stay safe everyone!

Haggerty 1029 likes this

Bill:

Thank you for your in-sight, a huge help. Yes I 100% agree candidates should be able to seek out their own information. However, if they ask for help and you do not know the answer to it's fullest shouldn't you start to pull from your pool of help? Forums is a great way to do that along with manuals, manufacturers. That is exactly what I did in this instance. By no means did I want to start a shitstorm on a forum. Have a good night and stay safe everyone!

It's not a shiitstorm Bro, it's just the process we have to go through to get answers around here. lol

Y'all come back again now.

x4093k likes this

I did find some answers to my questions and I would like to share with everyone just in case you have an E-One 95ft. platform:

1) Describe the capacity of the trucks hydraulic system. The tank holds around 60gallons, the system holds roughly two 55 gallon drums of oil

2) Describe the max. hydraulic operating pressure. 2900psi

3) Describe how the hydraulic fluid is checked and capacity. Ladder must be in transport position and the oil at operating temp.

Have a great day and stay safe everyone!

x4093k likes this

I've been reading this thread and I'm a little confused. Are these actual test questions for a promotional exam from FF to say Lt.? They seem too simple to me for that level of promotonal exam. They are more along the lines of a final exam for Aerial Apparatus Operator Course.

Along with any testing system there should be a bibliography, and the test should be job related. A Lt's test should ask questions on Engine or Truck Company Operations, Leadership, Hazmats, Building Construction, etc. Not hydraulic tank capacity. Sure, the Lt supervises the FF and should know tank capacity, but from when he was a FF.

Also, asking questions on a blog like EMTBravo is not a mortal sin, but it a poor place to get your test answers. The info may or not be correct. You are better off getting a study group together. Not only will you prepare for the test, (using the bibliography) but there is a distinct possibility you will learn something more than just the test material. This will definitely come in handy once you pass the test and go for your interview.

Not to brag, but to prove a point-

I've taken a lot of tests, guys, and this is the best way to study: Relax at home, but at the firehouse, skip the TV and study. Maybe you can score 104.6 someday.

Bnechis likes this

I've been reading this thread and I'm a little confused. Are these actual test questions for a promotional exam from FF to say Lt.? They seem too simple to me for that level of promotonal exam. They are more along the lines of a final exam for Aerial Apparatus Operator Course.

Well said.

When I saw the questions, I thought the correct answer for a supervisor was not 0000psi or 000gal but how to find the info:

a) 15psi

b ) 52 gal

c) check the owners manual

d) unknown

wraftery likes this