Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Nasal Narcan

7 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone here works in a system that distributes Nasal Narcan to opiate addicts, or makes it available to them? Or equips BLS units with them? If so, have you seen any results lately?

I think that it's a pretty good idea to distribute Nasal Narcan to addicts, especially with the potent heroin currently going around. I even think that BLS units should be able to carry it. It's kind of similar to what an epi pen is to people with severe allergies.

I'm wondering if anyone here works in a system that distributes Nasal Narcan to opiate addicts, or makes it available to them? Or equips BLS units with them? If so, have you seen any results lately?

I think that it's a pretty good idea to distribute Nasal Narcan to addicts, especially with the potent heroin currently going around. I even think that BLS units should be able to carry it. It's kind of similar to what an epi pen is to people with severe allergies.

Suffolk County Police are doing a pilot program with NYSDOH. They have issued nasal narcan to some officers and it's already saved a life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5WMJ3kaj2s

Edited by firedude

You aint kidding about the heroin uptick in the past few years. i find it VERY scary that it is so abundant and popular. Especially in schools...

JM15 and Sailr322 like this

Unlike an Epi-Pen where there is no alternative, a BLS ambulance already has a tool to prevent anoxic injury secondary to hypoventilation. It's called a BVM.

I'm all for it as long as the agency provides the proper training and support and equipment to monitor the patient after administration.

JetPhoto, firedude and Sailr322 like this

Bring it...... X129 is correct, in our area there is a handful a day.

A BVM and some Narcan is all you need.

post-18386-0-59845900-1348589491.jpg