x635

FDNY worried about master firefighter key sold on eBay

12 posts in this topic

Is there really such a thing as a "master key", that will open every door in NYC, like the NY Post "reports". Seems very far fetched to me.

Retired locksmith sells ‘firemen’s key ring’ on eBay, alarming FDNY

A retired New Jersey locksmith sold a "firemen's key ring" on eBay to a New York Post reporter, alarming some city officials who fear the keys—at least those that apparently still work—could be used for evil.

FULL STORY: http://www.nypost.co...mrLMKsXh4s2GM/0

The 2642 master key in the article is a city wide elevator key not a door key.

I love the stuff about officially issued keys. Members have been making the keys for themselves for years. The 1620 in question is used to recall elevators and operate the car. I have been aware of situations where residents in some public housing projects have gotten keys. It did cause limited problems but in the past phase II operation of elevators in NYC public housing projects was shaky at best due to the vandalism. They seem to be better about it now but it's not uncommon to find one or both of the elevators out of service.

OMG they might rob city hall!

Ch. 4 (NBC) just reported the guy will stop selling them

I guess they don't realize that hacking into computers can do the same thing these days

How many "low lifes" that would buy these keys and f### with the elevators have paypal accounts?!

I'd say everyone is overreacting.

sfrd18, JetPhoto and SageVigiles like this

The Yale 47 key is found all over - I think I have 3-4 of them myself for use at work......

OMG, if it falls into the wrong hands, those people will be able to break into elevators all over the city and steal everything that is in those elevators.

On 2nd thought, they will only steel from some elevators. Anything left in those elevators with floor drains will be safe and will not move. :P

The elevator key is also in the possesion of every elevator mechanic, and probably 3/4 of the supers and maintainance men of any apartment building or commercial bldg that has elevators. As far as the security of the elevator key goes, that cat has been out of the bag for a very long time.

Edited by 10512

I probably make use of a locksmith expert whenever i face issues with the elevator locks. They can deal with those problems efficiently.