elyefire

Kiryas Joel NY Structure Fire 10/16/12 Photos/Video

26 posts in this topic

working structure fire with heavy fire on arrival, picture are from my HTC phone

post-22301-0-56620300-1350492710.jpg

post-22301-0-33896500-1350492719.jpg

post-22301-0-52161000-1350492740.jpg

post-22301-0-86287800-1350492747.jpg

post-22301-0-29204800-1350492754.jpg

post-22301-0-92978800-1350492760.jpg

post-22301-0-46742700-1350492767.jpg

post-22301-0-30699800-1350492774.jpg

post-22301-0-82069200-1350492778.jpg

post-22301-0-47319600-1350492783.jpg

post-22301-0-26668000-1350492915.jpg

post-22301-0-20112500-1350492920.jpg

post-22301-0-30719300-1350492926.jpg

post-22301-0-19551300-1350492931.jpg

post-22301-0-68425500-1350492935.jpg

post-22301-0-14856100-1350492941.jpg

post-22301-0-01834600-1350492946.jpg

Edited by elyefire
JetPhoto likes this

I do not want to create any problems or cause a fight, but those first few photos show a lot of people standing around, and each picture has more and more people showing up and standing around. I know they have their own fire department, but how long did it take for the first piece of apparatus to arrive on scene?

EdAngiolillo likes this

from the call came in the 1st engine was on scene with in 5 min, we cant see it on this pictures this is from the back of the bldg, the engine was in front of the structure,

JetPhoto likes this

from the call came in the 1st engine was on scene with in 5 min, we cant see it on this pictures this is from the back of the bldg, the engine was in front of the structure,

from KJFD or outside department?

What kind of FD does Kiryas Joel have.

Who is it manned by?

What kind of FD does Kiryas Joel have.

Who is it manned by?

just like the rest of us they have 3 engines 1 bursh truck 1 rescue 1 T/L

JetPhoto likes this

I thought the village of Kiryas Joel is 100% Hasid.

Now, to get back to the purpose of the thread... (lol)

Great shots, Elyefire, thanks for sharing!

Edited by x4093k

I know that with Hatzolah their members are exempt from mask confidence because of their beards and religious beliefs. Is the same to be said for the KJFD? Or because they are going into a fire are they required to pass some sort of confidence course? Not trying to start any issues here, simply a question of curiosity.

I believe they do mostly exterior firefighting and call m/a for interior

yes you are right

but they still put on scba on active fire and most cells get handled by their own units if it's a big one m/a will come in

How does one balance the SCBA and the beards/facial hair? Are there special SCBA masks that work in these instances? Wondering the same for respiratory masks for EMS workers - we used to have "hoods" with a hose attached to a HEPA filtered air blower for those who couldn't pass the N-95 testing because of unusual facial anatomy or other reasons.

While searches and firefighting are two differnt things, what is their process for primary and secondary searches? If they are unable to make an effective seal with their facial hair and SCBA how would they enter and search? I don't think the community would want to have to wait for a m/a department to come in and conduct those. Again, not an attack against anyone or their practices, simply a question on how they operate.

I don't think the community would want to have to wait for a m/a department to come in and conduct those.

And you would be thinking wrong. The Hasidic communities are more interested and concerned with jewish religious and cultural identity than proper firefighter techniques. They are more concerned about not having their enclave "invaded" by outsiders than they are any standards. Hatzolah is another example, most ultra orthodox jews would much rather wait for a jewish emt in 5 minutes to assist them than a christian medic now. The Kiryas Joel community members are fine with having substandard service because they know it is their own helping them as opposed to random strangers.

These communities do not have the same values as you, does that make them wrong? No

These communities do not have the same values as you, does that make them wrong? No

If those values compromise the safety of the public... yes.

If those values compromise the safety of the public... yes.

So what you are saying is that this community should disregard part of its protected religious identity and tradition so that they can have public safety services they do not want?

What about Farmer Jones, should he be forced to have public safety services that we doesn't want for no other reason than he is not protected adequately?

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

I don't think they are wrong by any standard. If those are the values of their community then that is what they should be able to live by. My values differ from those and I have no desire to live in a community that places belief or safety, does that make them wrong as you said? No. My question was based from a standpoint of how they operate, not whether their values, opinions, and or actions are right or wrong.

So what you are saying is that this community should disregard part of its protected religious identity and tradition so that they can have public safety services they do not want?

What about Farmer Jones, should he be forced to have public safety services that we doesn't want for no other reason than he is not protected adequately?

No, I'm saying if these guys are going to call themselves a fire department they should be held to the same standard as any other firefighter. Unless these guys do ZERO interior work, in which case they're basically an over-glorified bucket brigade.

My point is that regardless of your religious beliefs, you should not be able to be "exempt" from OSHA standards regarding SCBA.

Edited by SageVigiles
x4093k likes this

My point is that regardless of your religious beliefs, you should not be able to be "exempt" from OSHA standards regarding SCBA.

They aren't exempted.... they should be held accountable under respiratory standard if they are in an IDLH but we all know it comes down to politics.....