Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Taz288

North Babylon (Long Island) 1st Pierce Quantum Remounted Aerialscope

11 posts in this topic

They originally had a 86 Mack/Aerialscope which they sent to Pierce last year or late 2011 for remounting and refurbishing of the boom. Here is the almost final product, just missing some decals.

post-11-0-35468900-1366582902_thumb.png

Edited by x635
NOTE: Photo was is hosted/hotlinked to PhotoBucket which has been down, NOT locally here on EMTBravo!
markmets415, FF398, ant241 and 5 others like this

Awesome! Very unique! Thanks for the shot!

sfrd18 likes this

Firematic has all the built pictures, quite a process in doing the rig! Very nice!

There have been a number of these Aerialscope refurbish and re-mounts. Taking a 1986 tower, refurbishing it an mating it with a new Quantum could not be cheap.

My department was all mack until the last one in 1978 which was recently replaced by a Seagrave, the one before that by a Pierce.

Why did Mack get out of the business and why doesn't anyone offer a new version of the Aerialscope. You would think that just the business from FDNY would have been sufficent to keep the division in operation.

I must have missed the memo all those years ago when I was away from firematics for several years.

Why did Mack get out of the business and why doesn't anyone offer a new version of the Aerialscope. You would think that just the business from FDNY would have been sufficent to keep the division in operation.

I've always wondered that myself. Probaly because chasis production was more lucrative, so they dropped the body portion, and when they went to chasis only, the CF wasn't profitable enough for the beancounters. Spartan and HME were able to do it, retrospectively.

New Aerialscopes were then built by Baker on FWD and Simon Duplex chasis in Richmond,VA for the most part, until Seagrave bought and currently offers the Aerialscope II.

I've never seen a refurbished Aerialscope II put on a Quantum, but it's an awesome chasis! Tons of space, handles nicely, nice fold out steps, great A/C.

Been looking forward to seeing this ever since I first heard about it. GREAT looking rig, best of luck with it! Hopefully, I will get to see it in person some day. Wonder how long it will remain a "one of a kind"?

When Mack was bought by Volvo they made the decision not to stay in the fire business and fazed out in 1991. The CF was done anyway as it did not comform to the standards and Volvo did not want to start all over agian for the amount of trucks that they thought they sell.

Edited by PCFD ENG58

I just relocated to the Ocala area having been in Palm Beach County. Everything up here is E-One as the factory is in Ocala. I plan to stop by some time and see if they give tours.

I saw a Quantum pumper before moving that Palm Beach (City) purchased and it was very impressive. They had just started to switch over to the Chicago black over red paint scheme from their prior piss green/yellow.

There have been a number of these Aerialscope refurbish and re-mounts. Taking a 1986 tower, refurbishing it an mating it with a new Quantum could not be cheap.

My department was all mack until the last one in 1978 which was recently replaced by a Seagrave, the one before that by a Pierce.

I must have missed the memo all those years ago when I was away from firematics for several years.

Seagrave will refurb and rechassis, but they're very, almost obscenely expensive. Pierce is actually coming in cheaper that Seagrave on many of the Aerialscope refurbs that have been done by them. There's a least a few out there. This is all coming from a former Seagrave rep that I'm friendly with...

Edited by NPFD801