Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Under-Armour or Similar Garments Issued As Part Of Uniforms

6 posts in this topic

I've noticed departments that are starting to issue Under Armour or similar garments for T-shirts.

Is there any hazard that would be associated with this garment while doing our job(s)?

x129K likes this

Like the fact that its 100% stuff-that-will-melt? Yeah, probably. I believe Under Armor does have a 100% cotton line though, not "NFPA Approved" to my knowledge but I wouldn't be particularly concerned.

Honestly in my experience selling uniforms, not too many departments are wearing NFPA FR approved uniforms. Nomex and the like is ridiculously expensive and 100% cotton fades, shrinks and generally looks like crap in no time. We offer it as an option but if 10% of my customers bought it that would be a lot.

Here's the contradiction: personally my station uniforms are almost all 65% polyester / 35% cotton, and while my department's certainly aren't the busiest in the world, I haven't really had a problem. I have a few pairs of "expired" hand-me-down nomex FR uniform pants that I wear from time-to-time, but until my volunteer department pays for FR uniforms, I'm not about to go out and spend that kind of money.

I think that too many people are jumping on the under armor band wagon. The stuff works great for sports and the like. The 100% will melt fabric is not for firefighting. People think that since it wicks away sweat when playing football it will work when in a burning building. I am sure it is comfortable but it will melt if things get real bad. People have to remember that in a normal kitchen fire or something that is not real big you maybe be fine, but go into a real high heat environment and the stuff will melt to your skin and cause a real burn.

I don't wear the stuff at work but it has been brought up as a idea. As mentioned they might have a FR line but i have never seen it. Just stick with the stuff that works.

peterose313, SageVigiles and x129K like this

They do have fire resistant garments, mostly from the tactical line.

If you are worried about the shirt under your gear melting, you have bigger things to worry about. Like your facepiece melting or inhalation burns.

Its also not just a comfort thing, its also the lubricity that the garment provides. Lubricity is the ease of motion when wearing the garment, directly relates to how silky the facecloth of the liner system is. Not all FD's gear have a ton of lubricity so an UA style garment makes up for where the TOG lacks.

I've been exercising wearing a UA style shirt and gym shorts when the tones go off and I don't think twice. You will be living in a world of S for the rest of your life even if you survive a fire that is so hot it will melt the shirt to your body.

As for the FR ones, they are out there. I was gifted one made by Lion which I like during the Summer. Not as silky as an UA style but it has the anti stink materials in the design. I know MSA use to carry ones, but I think they may have sold with their LE/Military division of ballistics. I have also seen Power Dry FR shirts on Wildland Warehouse's website.

BIGRED1, FDNY 10-75 and CM36 like this

Yes, as many people have said before, if it gets to the point that your shirt/pants are melting to your skin, you've got much bigger problems. No question. However, it then becomes the difference of a cotton shirt burning and flaking off, or doctors having to peel and cut out the polyester from your skin, making an already terrible situation that much worse. Food for thought.

x129K and BIGRED1 like this