38ff

Rescue truck front bumpers

38 posts in this topic

Yes, exactly like that, Bnechis!

As for having tools preconnected, why not? We have pre connected handlines, lights, etc.. Why waste time making connections in the dark/rain/snow/under pressure when there are other things to do like stabilize the vehicle and check for other hazards? No one is saying jump off the rig and start cutting before doing a 360 and making a plan, but when that has been done, I see no reason to waste time doing things like making connections that could of already be done before you left the station.

I not saying you shouldn't but at the top of the why not list would be: Expense. Followed closely by complexity of operations (under the hood so to speak). I must say, we're biased using the CORE hose system, I wouldn't have wanted to run our old twin line Hurst system without the reels, as the hoses were far less manageable. I understand that the preconnected stuff works well and can be easier, but we found many places we could enhance using the money we saved going totally portable. Again, as I think back the twin hoses may have been the issue, as we needed to make two connections at each and man the dump valve to swap tools. Now two connections and a single pull (Honda engine) and your tool is ready to go, at the side of the truck, in the woods or inside a metal fabrication plant.

Every agency operates differently but the outcome is (usually) the same. Getting the job done SAFELY and PROFICIENTLY. How many firefighters does it take to size-up a working fire? How many Police Officer's does it take to size-up an arrest? And how many rescue tech's does it take to size-up an entrapment? Every agency varies depending upon your SOP's and available Trained Personnel. What works for 1 department can be different for another.

Before I retired from EMS our rescue rode with the driver and a rescue tech. Only 2 on Rescue. Sometimes a recruit doing their rescue training time before being the 2nd. Rescue training usually consisted of 3 months of schooling and practical (hands On). Then 6 months as a third. Then the testing to see if you were eligible for Rescue Tech status. All were trained to usually the same or better level. Could be 1 or 2 EMT's or 2 Paramedic rescue tech certified or even the supervisor may need to fill a vacant spot on rescue. We were all trained to the same standards for the most part, some more. Quite often arriving on scene prior to PD, BLS or ALS. So size-up was decided by the 2 techs.

We had pre-connected tools from reels since 1991 on our rescue's. Rear compartment pre-connected tools which didn't work to well because most of your rescue operations are from the front or sides of the rescue. Prior to 1991 we also pre-connected our tools from portable motors. 1 Portable Duo with hose rapped around it and 1 spreader and 1 cutter pre-connected. Both techs would grab the motor and then grab 1 tool each. Carrying them to the incident. The current (rescue's) have the tools split almost evenly on both sides of the vehicle. 1 spreader, 1 cutter and 1 combi tool, 3 reels. So both the driver and the 2nd rescue tech has his own hydraulic system set-up and ready for deployment. Very common to see 2 techs with 2 spreader's and 2 cutter's working a cut job by themselves from each side of the auto.

That's this agencies system. And it works very well. No one to trip over someone else. Try connecting tools at 1 0'clock in the morning. By the way, part of their training was to close their eye's and connect tools. TRY IT? Not easy. Even with single hose hydraulics. So pre-connecting tools are a great an efficient way for any tool for any rescue operation.

Don't we all try to strive for a safer, faster and more efficient way to provide rescue? P.S. our rescue in what I call the (Hay Day's) would average around 400 entrapments a year. Not counting Fire Rescue or PD ESU.

Bnechis, antiquefirelt and JM15 like this

What is the optimal mounting for hurst tools? I've seen them mounted in compartments on the driver's side, the passenger's side, the rear, these depend on how the truck is positioned safety wise and then the downside of having to bring the tools around the other side of the truck (then you lose length). Someone mentioned something earlier about a compartment that you can pull from either side. I've never seen this done with hurst tools. Does anyone have a picture of that?

Preconnected or not, bumper mounted or elsewhere, first due or special call, the victim will still be there when you start the extrication. Others have said it, you have to size-up, stabilize and protect the victim(s) before you start anything so I'll ask the medical side of the house - will one minute make any difference in patient outcome?

Preconnected or not, bumper mounted or elsewhere, first due or special call, the victim will still be there when you start the extrication. Others have said it, you have to size-up, stabilize and protect the victim(s) before you start anything so I'll ask the medical side of the house - will one minute make any difference in patient outcome?

Usually no, but my 1st call as a medic had a 16y/o pinned in a car. Had a pulse when I 1st got to him, after lots of effort to get the tool set up and start extricating, he went into respiratory arrest, then cardiac arrest. then he was slid out the window on a board.

Would it have changed the outcome......not likely, but the extra 30+ seconds, denied him the needed care (do to position).

Note: the size up was completed before the tool was on scene and the position of the vehicle eliminated stabilization (the frame was solidly on the ground).

Preconnected tools are definitely a plus. But for those times when 100' of reeled hose won't reach, or you're at a multivehicle wreck and the preconnected tools are already in use at one pin, having the portable generator mounted on a hand cart with a cutter and spreader and lines is a blessing. As for mounting in the vehicle, keeping the tools to the rear of the apparatus is tough because often you pull up on an MVC and can't get the rear of the apparatus closer; mounting to one side or the other causes you to lose working length when the wreck is on the opposite side; multi tool setups are great-if you can afford it and have lots of room to spare. I have seen a transverse compartment where the tray slides out to either side, with tools/rams,etc mounted on it to make them accessible from either side. The generator is mounted in a fixed position on the wall of the compartment with on/off switches on both sides of rig. Reels were mounted above in compartment and could feed out either side with rewind controls mounted on both sides. Saw this at Firehouse Expo a few years back. Have never been a fan of the bumper mounted tools. Road grime gets in (no matter how well enclosed tools are), it adds to the length of the rig, and Lord help you if you get hit in the front!!! Instead of replacing a steel bumper and brackets (and maybe a winch), you're looking at A LOT more expense and vehicle being out of service time. Also, doing maintenance might be tougher on bumper mounted tools. Not sure about that-maybe Barry or someone with that setup can elaborate.

I'm not sure a preconnected system even saves a full minute, 60 seconds is pretty long when your talking about just making connections.Nonetheless I will say that in the overall operations from the brake being applied to the actual victim removal time vary so much in terms of number of personnel, tools working at once, complexity of the situation and the extrication tactics employed that two crews facing the same wreck could easily lose 1 minute or two. Our FD was one of only two sets of "Jaws" in our region for a few decades, now almost every FD has a set. THose that are not integrated with EMS tend to treat extrications like drills, while those who are part of EMS treat them like EMS calls: all about the victim. Many FD's go far overboard with their tools, when simpler methods could free the victim, but they tend to: fail to see this and fail to work with the EMS people on scene. Even EMS people do this too when it's an uncommon occurence and "tool" time represents the most fun they'll have this week.

Bnechis likes this