Westchester

Authorities say a second body has been pulled from New York's Hudson River

43 posts in this topic

Its been a long couple of nights and days since the horrific boating accident on July 26th. First my condolences to the families of the deceased, and my prayers to the injured and all family members.

As a member of a Volunteer Department my hats off to all that came out Friday night at 11:15pm for the search and the continuation through day and night Saturday and this morning. As Volunteers we should bow or heads down in prayer for those deceased and injured, but keep our souls high and proud for leaving our families day or night and spending countless hours searching the waters of the Hudson in hope for survivors or to bring closure to the families.

I myself am very proud to be a Volunteer. To search with my other brothers/sisters not thinking about anything else inside of our day to day jobs and lives, but to concentrate of our job at hand. We all put every bit of energy into this horrible accident. To see the amout of Volunteers from all departments on either side of the river work together as one was inspiring. Hope and Pray this never happens again.

P.S I don't care what the Tappan Zee Bridge Contractors or any other Department says YOU CAN'T SEE THOSE BARGES IF THEY WERE PARKED IN YOUR FRONT LAWN. Shame on them if they think bare minium standards are good enough. That river is DARK. Put spot lights or something else for boaters to see. It's like boating through a maze of steel death traps. In closing We all worked together, and did or job. That's what a Volunteer Firedepartment or Volunteer Ambulance or Volunteer Dive Team does. We do this because of who we are ,DEDICATED

Edited by Westchester
JetPhoto and PEMO3 like this

Jet-skiier finds second body

A recreational jet-skiier spotted a body believed to be Mark Lennon, the man thrown from the powerboat that crashed into a barge near the Tapan Zee Bridge on Friday night, authorities said Sunday afternoon.

Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said a the jet-skiier, a civilian not involved in the search, spotted the body a mile south of the Piermont Pier at 11:12 a.m

http://www.lohud.com...nds-second-body

I find it interesting how many people are blaming the barge in this incident, but yet those people do not seem to understand that the operator of the speed boat was drunk. They went to the restaurant were the bartender said it appeared that they were drinking before they got there, proceeded to have more drinks, then left on their boat and headed for Tarrytown most likely to drink some more.

Meanwhile people say the lights on the barge are not bright enough, but yet I can seem them from Sleepy Hollow, and other people say they can see them from Piermont. Lets place blame were it belongs, To the Operator who was drunk piloting a speed boat at night, not the barge which was just sitting there being a barge lighted to US Coast Guard Standards. The construction company stated they will put more lights on the barges now, hmmm wonder how many people will complain now that it is too bright, and bring law suits for that.

I find it interesting how many people are blaming the barge in this incident, but yet those people do not seem to understand that the operator of the speed boat was drunk. They went to the restaurant were the bartender said it appeared that they were drinking before they got there, proceeded to have more drinks, then left on their boat and headed for Tarrytown most likely to drink some more.

Meanwhile people say the lights on the barge are not bright enough, but yet I can seem them from Sleepy Hollow, and other people say they can see them from Piermont. Lets place blame were it belongs, To the Operator who was drunk piloting a speed boat at night, not the barge which was just sitting there being a barge lighted to US Coast Guard Standards. The construction company stated they will put more lights on the barges now, hmmm wonder how many people will complain now that it is too bright, and bring law suits for that.

You may be right, the boat operator is at fault.No one is disagreeing that drinking and boating played a factor in this accident. The question is are the lighting on the barges minimal standard lighting or should more safety prevention be in place. I've owned a boat for years and have docked in Irvington and Washington Irving. I personally feel the lighting on the barges are not visable enough for proper boat sppeds. Besides the main topic of this form was a Thank You to all of us Volunteers who work together.

While I too am a proud volunteer, not only of my department, I think proper credit is due to all responders on this incident. This was a multi agency effort, volunteer and career. Everyone acted professionally, and cooperated with each other to the best of everyone's ability. I've never seen so many agencies operating at one incident on the Hudson. Kudos to all!

JetPhoto, x129K, Westchester and 1 other like this

While I too am a proud volunteer, not only of my department, I think proper credit is due to all responders on this incident. This was a multi agency effort, volunteer and career. Everyone acted professionally, and cooperated with each other to the best of everyone's ability. I've never seen so many agencies operating at one incident on the Hudson. Kudos to all!

Well said my friend. Good job to your and your team.

I 100% agree, it was a very professional rescue/recovery the only reason I did not mention others than Volunteer, is all day long ar work I here negitive conversations about Volunteer organizations over paid. But when the s^^t hits the fan we all are ONE

did I miss the first page of this ! , away for the weekend what happened other than a few are dead ? ok found it in Rockland

Edited by PCFD ENG58

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of the First Responders at this incident.

Please someone close this thread before this escalates.

Why close this thread? I'm Paid and Volunteer. I'm only speaking in positive reaction towards that outstanding professionalizm of Volunteers on either side of the Hudson. The only reason I did not mention NYPD, Coast Guard,State Police and County is because they are always held to high standards, and so well deserved. Everyone did a professional job. And hope and pray this never happens again.

Please someone close this thread before this escalates.

Why close this thread? I'm Paid and Volunteer. I'm only speaking in positive reaction towards that outstanding professionalizm of Volunteers on either side of the Hudson. The only reason I did not mention NYPD, Coast Guard,State Police and County is because they are always held to high standards, and so well deserved. Everyone did a professional job. And hope and pray this never happens again.

Ok, I believe what Westchester is saying here (In order to prevent the age old and boring arguments) is that our career brothers and sisters are highly trained and should normally be able to operate at these type of incidents with no trouble because of their training. As volunteers, we do not get the career academy with the basic rescue training all included in one shot, we have to get all of the individual rescue trainings in order to operate at a call like this one. He states that he is proud that some of the volunteers can rise to the level of the career family in both training standards and professionalism in order to operate at a water based search operation like this one, and he is extremely proud to be a part of this group that selflessly dedicate their time with family and hours from work in order to train and respond to these incidents. I see no crack or insult at either the career or volunteer brothers so please keep it that way. For now we will leave it as is but we are watching you... :ph34r:

Keep it on track. Thank you.

PEMO3 and Westchester like this

Just wondering where were the Westchester and Rockland helicopters? Why did NYC have to come up to the TZB again?

Was it really a seamless integrated response or was it the usual Rockland command, Westchester Command, everyone does their own thing on the water response?

x129K likes this

You may be right, the boat operator is at fault.No one is disagreeing that drinking and boating played a factor in this accident. The question is are the lighting on the barges minimal standard lighting or should more safety prevention be in place. I've owned a boat for years and have docked in Irvington and Washington Irving. I personally feel the lighting on the barges are not visable enough for proper boat sppeds. Besides the main topic of this form was a Thank You to all of us Volunteers who work together.

Do you have minimal standard lighting on your vessel, or do you have extra lighting all around it, does your neighbors who dock there boat next to you all have extra lighting above the standard. The problem is there too many people who will not take responsibility for there actions. Too many people are saying the barge needs more lighting. Not implying anyone here has said that, but I don hear many people saying the dude was drunk and should of never been on the water. What the real shame is that some drunk killed a bride to be, and the best man. and chances are he will get a slap on the hand for this. The shame is that he will walk away with minimal time if any at all. The shame is that having a boating license or a drivers license is almost basically like having a license to kill.

You opened it to this discussion when you posted your PS in your first post.

Dinosaur and bmfd438 like this

Just wondering where were the Westchester and Rockland helicopters? Why did NYC have to come up to the TZB again?

Was it really a seamless integrated response or was it the usual Rockland command, Westchester Command, everyone does their own thing on the water response?

To my knowledge, command was run by Piermont FD.

I have a lot of experience on the Hudson river and can say first hand that not only the barges at the Tappan Zee bridge but the gas barges that anchor over night in the Hudson can be very difficult to see at night.

Do you have minimal standard lighting on your vessel, or do you have extra lighting all around it, does your neighbors who dock there boat next to you all have extra lighting above the standard. The problem is there too many people who will not take responsibility for there actions. Too many people are saying the barge needs more lighting. Not implying anyone here has said that, but I don hear many people saying the dude was drunk and should of never been on the water. What the real shame is that some drunk killed a bride to be, and the best man. and chances are he will get a slap on the hand for this. The shame is that he will walk away with minimal time if any at all. The shame is that having a boating license or a drivers license is almost basically like having a license to kill.

Lets face it calhobs, the real shame in todays world where drunk driving and efforts to prevent it are prevalent is the fact that the others got on the boat with the drunk guy or didnt try and stop him. They all got on that boat, driver included, knowing they were all drinking. It was dangerous, stupid, assinine, and in todays world should never happen after all of the publicity with drunk drivers killing people, drunk teens killing each other in high speed accidents and all the grief that goes with it.

How many times will we have to lose loved ones to drunken driving accidents before we all grow up? Yes it was sad, yes it should have never happened, but I have no further pity for any ahole that gets behind the wheel drunk or any of his dumb friends that get in with them without stoping them or even thinking its dangerous to do so...

Its my life, if I see someone drunk I would rather punch them in the face and grab their keys and have them pissed off at me for a while before I let them get behind the wheel, and if I cant prevent that I will keep everyone else from getting in with them.

calhobs and Westchester like this

P.S I opened the topic, but concentrated on the excellent efforts by first responders. And in my opinion as owning a boat for 30 years and sailing on the Hudson I feel the lights on the construction barges are minimal safety standards, and yes I have above coast guard standard led and halogen lighting on my boat plus spot lights on port and starboard. I have hit many a driftwood and rocks in my time. I just think these barges are not lit up well enough, and let's not forget these barges will move from there current location to another.

Yes Drinking was the main and most likely the cause of this accident, but it can happen to any one of us boaters with out radar.Since the barges have been in the Hudson I have said that the lighting was not bright enough. It's my opinion. If you don't think so go out one cloudy night on a boat, do about about 30 mph and travel under and around the bridge and you tell me what you think!

Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters

CHAPTER I: COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
SUBCHAPTER E: INLAND NAVIGATION RULES
PART 88: ANNEX V: PILOT RULES
88.13 - Lights on moored barges.
(a) The following barges shall display at night and if practicable in periods of restricted visibility the lights described in paragraph (B) of this section:
(1) Every barge projecting into a buoyed or restricted channel.
(2) Every barge so moored that it reduces the available navigable width of any channel to less than 80 meters.
(3) Barges moored in groups more than two barges wide or to a maximum width of over 25 meters.
(4) Every barge not moored parallel to the bank or dock.

(B) Barges described in paragraph (a) of this section shall carry two unobstructed all-round white lights of an intensity to be visible for at least 1 nautical mile and meeting the technical requirements as prescribed in ? 84.15 of this chapter.

© A barge or group of barges at anchor or made fast to one or more mooring buoys or other similar device, in lieu of the provisions of Inland Navigation Rule 30, may carry unobstructed all-round white lights of an intensity to be visible for at least 1 nautical mile that meet the requirements of ? 84.15 of this chapter and shall be arranged as follows:
(1) Any barge that projects from a group formation, shall be lighted on its outboard corners.
(2) On a single barge moored in water where other vessels normally navigate on both sides of the barge, lights shall be placed to mark the corner extremities of the barge.
(3) On barges moored in group formation, moored in water where other vessels normally navigate on both sides of the group, lights shall be placed to mark the corner extremities of the group.

(d) The following are exempt from the requirements of this section:
(1) A barge or group of barges moored in a slip or slough used primarily for mooring purposes.
(2) A barge or group of barges moored behind a pierhead.
(3) A barge less than 20 meters in length when moored in a special anchorage area designated in accordance with ? 109.10 of this chapter.

Note: there are some rivers that have an exemption and no lighting is required, (the Chicago Sanitary Ship Canal & others) but that does not apply to the Hudson.

Dinosaur likes this

I think we need to refrain from commenting until all facts are in. This is the latest statement from the restaurant owner as posted on Lo-Hud: "The six people involved in the accident enjoyed an expensive dinner — but just four drinks between them — before heading out on the Hudson River, the restaurant’s owner told The Journal News."

I think we need to refrain from commenting until all facts are in. This is the latest statement from the restaurant owner as posted on Lo-Hud: "The six people involved in the accident enjoyed an expensive dinner — but just four drinks between them — before heading out on the Hudson River, the restaurant’s owner told The Journal News."

Interesting, the bar owner says they actually skipped out on the bill.

Interesting, the bar owner says they actually skipped out on the bill.

This story is starting to get a lot of twists and turns. First reports say the waiter or bartender told them not to go out on the water. Then the Owner says they ate $300.00 in food and 4 Drinks. Then they even skipped out on paying bill.

O.K For them to skip out on the bill and make a quick getaway out of the Piermont Marina is not happening. And why do that when The Bride to be lives not far from the restaurant. I believe the restuarant is covering there butt so there not liable for any wrong doing with Boating while intoxicated or continuing to serve if there to intoxicated.

Now back to the accident . In one of the storys( News) the best man and bride to be were sitting in front (Bow). Is it possible they were standing a blocking the view of the boat operator ( No excuse if he was drunk ) plus if the groom to be was on the barage where was the boat operator found, where were the 2 other surviors sitting. When they got pulled out of the Hudson they had life perservers on. Did they put them on themselves or did the boat operator make them put it on. Everyone hates wearing a life perserver ( me included ), but did all in the boat have them on and some took it off while underway. A lot of questions still have to be answered not only for the investigation, or first responders, but for the recreational boater.

This story is starting to get a lot of twists and turns. First reports say the waiter or bartender told them not to go out on the water. Then the Owner says they ate $300.00 in food and 4 Drinks. Then they even skipped out on paying bill.

O.K For them to skip out on the bill and make a quick getaway out of the Piermont Marina is not happening. And why do that when The Bride to be lives not far from the restaurant. I believe the restuarant is covering there butt so there not liable for any wrong doing with Boating while intoxicated or continuing to serve if there to intoxicated.

Now back to the accident . In one of the storys( News) the best man and bride to be were sitting in front (Bow). Is it possible they were standing a blocking the view of the boat operator ( No excuse if he was drunk ) plus if the groom to be was on the barage where was the boat operator found, where were the 2 other surviors sitting. When they got pulled out of the Hudson they had life perservers on. Did they put them on themselves or did the boat operator make them put it on. Everyone hates wearing a life perserver ( me included ), but did all in the boat have them on and some took it off while underway. A lot of questions still have to be answered not only for the investigation, or first responders, but for the recreational boater.

Drunk or sober, isn't bow riding illegal anyway? If they were blocking the view of the operator, it's stlil not the barge's fault. The barge didn't make him operate drunk (so accused), or at an unsafe speed (inference), at night with improper equipment (no radar, spot lights). So let's put the responsibility squarely where it belongs - on the operator. How many other boats are transiting the Hudson without crashing into the barges?

What does the recreational boater or even the first responder have to do with the issue of life preservers? It's a criminal investigation and the legal authorities will have to filter the truth from the BS.

Tragic completely preventable accident. Period.

SageVigiles likes this

Now they skipped out on their bill?? Sounds to me like the owner is covering his butt from a law suit for over serving!!

Dinosaur likes this

Now they skipped out on their bill?? Sounds to me like the owner is covering his butt from a law suit for over serving!!

And he gave authorities their bill. How does anyone know that is that group's bill?

Why did NYC have to come up to the TZB again?

Other than the Coast Guard, the NYPD is the only other area agency that has a 24/7 Helicopter that is an Air-Sea rescue that, besides a helicopter crew, has divers on stand-by 24/7. Besides that helo, I believe they have 5 regular helicopters and 2-3 of those are staffed 24/7.

If anyone else had that at the time and was immediately available, I am sure they would have been called.

Edited by 10512
SageVigiles likes this

Quote from the Journal News

'All six people on a powerboat were keeping their eyes on the river and not one saw the Tappan Zee Bridge construction barge before they struck it because there was almost no lighting, the stepfather of victim Lindsey Stewart told The Journal News on Tuesday.

“With six people looking, nobody could see the barge,” Walter Kosik said. “This is a problem and it’s being minimized.”

Kosik was basing his comments on conversations he’s had with passenger Brian Bond, Stewart’s fiancé who survived Friday night’s crash. Kosik said Bond also told him that he and the other passengers were all sober and consumed only about one alcoholic beverage each.

“That driver had a couple drinks in him,” Kosik said. “If he was that drunk, they would not have gotten onto the boat.”

They struck the barge at 10:40 p.m. Friday. The driver, Jojo John of Nyack, was charged with manslaughter. Police said he was intoxicated when he crashed the 19-foot powerboat.'

Edited by firemoose827
Added quote box.

Here we are again, automatically blaming an inanimate object before we get the facts on a potential criminal case...

If they write it in the newspaper, it has to be correct, right? God knows they wouldn't print anything 100% confirmed. I wasn't aware reporters were certified accident investigators...

And nobody whose ever had just "a couple drinks in him" has ever gotten in a DUI accident before, right?

Let the cops do their job.

Edited by SageVigiles
INIT915 likes this

Why did NYC have to come up to the TZB again?

Other than the Coast Guard, the NYPD is the only other area agency that has a 24/7 Helicopter that is an Air-Sea rescue that, besides a helicopter crew, has divers on stand-by 24/7. Besides that helo, I believe they have 5 regular helicopters and 2-3 of those are staffed 24/7.

If anyone else had that at the time and was immediately available, I am sure they would have been called.

I believe Helicopper said that WCPD is not equipped for Hoist and Air/Sea rescue operations.

Rockland's helicopter is listed as "Long Term Out of Service" on the Rockland County Online CAD System

The only other agency around here that has air rescue capability is the New York State Police, and I'm not sure if they are 24/7 or what

Meanwhile the Coast Guard completed their investigation into the barges and said they had adequate lighting. All lighting on the barges were up to standard. The company who owns the barges have stated they will add more lighting to the barges.

I'm with some of you who say let law enforcement do their thing before we jump to conclusions. The story has already taken many twists and turns.

SageVigiles likes this