Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

I Want To Lose Weight-But Gain Mass

16 posts in this topic

OK, so I have a exercise regimen that works for me and is compatible with my illness. I don't like going to the gym and lifting weights.

However, I want to lose weight, a nd gain muscle mass. I go to GNC.com and all the websites, but I am completely perplexed by all the supplements and vitamins out there. I'm not looking to be "built" or anything like that, I just want to look a healthy weight with proportionate muscle mass.

Does Lipozene or similar diet drugs actually work? What about protein shakes? There seems to be a million of them nowadays. Would those counter losing weight? Should I be taking vitamins?

My diet and eating habits such, I just don't have much or a regular appetite, and only eat once a day most days and sometimes don't even drink any water or beverage. I have mostly "stress fat" (belly, hip, thighs mostly), which is caused by a medication that I am now switched off of.

Any advice is really needed.

Since you have access to a computer, you are the best person to evaluate the effectiveness of any supplement that you are considering taking. From a quick search on the lipozene that you mentioned, I'm fairly certain that you would have a better result saving that money to spend on healthier food choices, the gym or investing in some exercise equipment for your home. The only effective way for anyone to lose weight is by consuming less calories than you need in a day. One thing that a lot of people struggle to do is understand exactly what they eat in a day. By using one of many websites or apps available, you can track the number of calories you are consuming and also track things like fat and salt.

There are some medications available that can increase your metabolic rate slightly, these are prescription only and generally only used in people with a BMI of 30 and above. The only verified pharmacologic way to help you lose weight available OTC is Orlistat/Alli which can decrease fat absorption, but commonly causes diarrhea, fatty stools and flatulence as a result.

You also mentioned that you don't consume much in the way of fluids. In general, if you are considering a supplement of some kind this is not a good idea. The lipozene is a fiber, acting as a bulking agent to hypothetically feel more full after consuming less food. If you were taking it in a dosage to be effective it is going to absorb fluid in your colon and potentially cause constipation. All of the recommendations for fiber intake presume you are consuming an adequate amount of fluids.

In summary:

1. Consume less calories than you burn

2. Track the food you consume and adjust accordingly

3. Try to exercise 30min a day most days of the week. Aerobic exercise such as running or biking is best for weight loss. Aim for a HR of 50 - 85% of your predicted max sustainable HR = 220 - Age

4. Shoot for a weight loss of 1-2lbs/wk if you want to maintain the results.

x635 likes this

Lifting would probably be your best bet to gain some mass. I have been lifting for 4 years with no supplements and have gained a decent amount of mass, but not too much for my frame.(you don't want to be too big for your body).I like to stay away from supplements as they are pumped full of crappy chemicals. DRINK WATER, its your best friend and your body needs alot of it. Try to drink a gallon a day, you will lose weight doing just this alone. Do 1 hour of cardio and 30 mins of lifting 4 days a week followed by one day of just cardio and then 2 days of rest. I have a friend who lost alot of weight and put on some mass doing this exact plan, again everyone is different but its worth a try. PS its a long term process, don't give up after a month if you don't see huge results. Rome wasn't built in one day. Feel free to message me about more specific stuff

Edited by 99subi
x635 and sfrd18 like this

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm very limited on what I can do exercise-wise as the doctor's wont approve certain things, I just want to lose weight and get some muscle back as well as the endorphins.

I will have some follow up questions later.....

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm very limited on what I can do exercise-wise as the doctor's wont approve certain things, I just want to lose weight and get some muscle back as well as the endorphins.

I will have some follow up questions later.....

Have you asked your doctor(s) what they'd recommend? Might want to try that if you haven't.

jruff04 and x635 like this

Have you asked your doctor(s) what they'd recommend? Might want to try that if you haven't.

I don't have healthcare insurance right now or for a while, so I'm just going off bits and pieces I've been told over the past year and over the course of all this..

If you dont mind me asking what is the condition you have?

x635 likes this

Not all the supplements out there are full of "crappy" chemicals. You can do everything you want to in the gym and what not but if you don't have a clean diet your not going to see results and any change in anything. You gotta remember you have to burn more than you consume to lose weight. Just eat clean allow your self a cheat meal every once and awhile

x635 likes this

If you dont mind me asking what is the condition you have?

Traumatic Brain Injury x 2, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Interstitial Cystitis, and several others I don't want to share on here.

I'd ideally like to look similar to Randy Orton, who had a similar body type to me when he was younger. We are both the same age.

post-11-0-46336400-1375760088.jpg

Well, if you're looking to lose weight and gain stamina and size, i would suggest the stair master coupled with calisthenics, plyometrics and a healthy diet. Forget everything you've ever learn about heavy lifting and "no pain, no gain". It may work short term but in my honest opinion, i think heavy lifting is useless and harmful. P90X and Insanity workout... Downright dangerous! The body shouldn't be losing more than a pound or 2 per week. To lose 30 IBS in 30 days is crazy and super unhealthy! Does it work, yeah sure, but in reality It's bad for your joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscular skeletal system. For any women out there reading this, do not try P90X, it will destroy your pelvic floor!

I don't want to take anything away from people who lift heavy and who enjoy it nor am i looking to kill the companies who sell the gym equipment most people use, but the fact of the matter is, most people who are using this stuff do it to compete with everyone else and do not appreciate what they're actually capable of doing, being happy with themselves, and not going overboard and injuring themselves. I lifted weights for a few years myself before realizing that the mass i was gaining would be gone in a matter of a month if i stopped going. Plus the fact that i wasn't gaining any "usable strength". By that, i mean how strong you are pound for pound and what your gym time is enabling you to do after you leave. Personally, i have found that going into the gym and doing push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and other body weight exercises enables you to slowly put on size while strengthening your tendons, ligaments, and muscles you didn't even realize existed. By no means are you going to see the size increase quickly, but the size and strength you gain will last your lifetime, unlike the size and water weight most people are putting on by spending thousands of dollars on BullSh*t supplements and bench pressing more than they should be. If you need a spotter to lift the weight off the bar, you're already lifting too much! But by all means, taking an amino supplement can absolutely be good for you depending on which one you decide to use, But Anything With a Black Box Label is Definately Not on That List!

Now you can decide for yourself what is best for you and what you would enjoy doing for exercise but i promise you, if you put the time in, you will not be displeased with your outcome and it will become increasingly harder to injure yourself! It will definately take longer to build mass this way but it's all about the time you put in, and nothing good happens over night!

There are a few people on here who know who i am and know what my frame looked like 10 or 12 years ago. And they also know I barely even have to do anything in the gym anymore to keep my physique because of the time i've put it. Pound for pound, you can become impressively strong and have a lot of fun doing it!

If you have any questions or need any input on a few starter exercises, don't hesitate to ask Seth! Good Luck

Chkpoint likes this

I have been into lifting for about 5 years now. I would say take baby steps. Ease your way into workouts and over time up the intensity. Don't go to hard to fast. At least 30-40 min of cardio a day is a good way to start. It can be as simple as walking and then gradually increasing it over time. Also try to eat 6-8 small meals a day. Anything can be counted as a meal, so like a healthy snack can be considered a meal. This will keep your metabolism running all day and help to burn off fat. As for gaining mass. I usually start the day with a protein smoothie with protein powder, some fruit, milk and ice. After working out try to consume a lighter protein shake within an hour of working out. Maybe just water or milk with protein powder.

sfrd18 and 99subi like this

Thanks again, guys.

What do you think of the drink "Ensure", that they give to older people to help them maintain healthy muscle mass. Would that help in anyway coupled with the advice in the posts above?

You can just go to gnc or vitamin shoppe get a good protien with whey and Casin protien whey is fast digesting and Casin and slow digesting my buddy is a rep for bsn and gave me sample of syntha 6 isolate which has both those proteins in it. I have vanilla ice cream flavor and let me tell u mixes real well and tastes awesome with fat free milk. It has all the essential amino acids and what not. I highly recommend it

What are the best places to buy these from at a reasonable price? I went to GNC, and almost fell on the floor at their prices.