x635

Size Ups Every Time

8 posts in this topic

Since I started re-listening to my scanner again a couple of weeks ago, I'm hearing Chief's or first dues arriving with no size up given immediately upon arrival. I hear fire officers arrive to a dispatched structure fire, smoke condition, etc and not hear anything from them for minutes, if at all.

Personally, I feel that the size up, even if it's a false alarm or other, should be given every time on mostly every call (excluding most EMS).

It gives the crews and dispatch an idea of what they are heading to, and can start pre-gaming in their heads.

What do you feel should be included in an arrival size up? Does any department post game their fire audio to see what can be improved?

antiquefirelt likes this

Same thing happens in our area, it's become a large pet peeve of mine. I see it as a sign of the first due person/officer at the minimum, not understanding the value of the size-up report, something that should be understood before someone is given a radio, regardless of their rank.

x129K, x635 and markmets415 like this

I believe a 360 size up (when possible) should be done on all calls except of course EMS.

A 360 degree size-up is nice but that should follow the initial size-up as you arrive. We don't live in a portable radio friendly system and if you get out of your truck without saying anything and encounter something problematic on the backside of the building, nobody will know it.

A brief size-up upon arrival should simply be the way we operate.

xchief2x and antiquefirelt like this

Seth, I think using the word "size up" may confuse some into thinking that a detailed report on arrival is needed. While in a perfect world that would be great I believe even a "preliminary report" would be helpful. For example short blurbs such as "engine abc on location, nothing visible" or rescue xyz "smoke showing, building self evacuating" or engine xxx " manager reporting malicious false alrm, investigating".

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

When I was a FF in Peekskill, we could usually tell by the first due drivers tone of voice how bad the situation was. When I was in NH the first due engine gave a windshield size up usually based on 3 sides, then dispatch repeated the report. A second report would usually be given when the officer got out and did a more in depth investigation into the situation and conditions. This happened every time, it was like second nature there. Many times mutual aid departments would stat to don turnout gear and mount up based on the size up and in anticipation of 1st or 2nd alarm.

PEMO3 and antiquefirelt like this

We don't live in a portable radio friendly system and if you get out of your truck without saying anything and encounter something problematic on the backside of the building, nobody will know it.

What do you mean?

Westchester Depts. who have spent more $$$ per capita on fire protection than anywhere outside of L.I. cant communicate?

We have had a portable radio friendly system for over 30 years.

Dinosaur I agree with you and that's what I meant AFTER the initial size up from a mobil radio.

velcroMedic1987 likes this