mikeinet

Major ambulance service shuts down without notice in six states

11 posts in this topic

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/09/21841229-major-ambulance-service-shuts-down-without-notice-in-six-states?lite

A private ambulance service that transported more than a half-million patients a year in six states abruptly shut down without explanation, leaving dozens of cities and towns scrambling for medical transportation options Monday without a word of warning.

First Med EMS, based in Wilmington, N.C., served hospitals and other medical facilities in more than 70 municipalities in Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. It operated under the names TransMed, Life Ambulance and MedCorp, boasting in publicity materials: "We take pride in our performance and the safety of our patients. We refuse to compromise on this."

Dispatch services in several cities reported that First Med called them Friday night and Saturday to stop all requests for emergency runs. Workers who were in the middle of their shifts were told to turn around and go home.

It won't be the first or the last, but it should give pause to those who think that privatization is the cure all for budget ills.

Danger, antiquefirelt and AFS1970 like this

Wow what a nice thing to do to your employees right before the holidays. Unfortunately this won't be the last time something like this happens.

Wow what a nice thing to do to your employees right before the holidays. Unfortunately this won't be the last time something like this happens.

Sadly this is the way it's done in most business. The rationale is that by giving notice, especially before Christmas, the employees will treat the company and company equipment like they perceive themselves being treated. The other option of waiting until after Christmas without giving notice will allow the employee to overspend for the holiday with no post holiday income. There are no good answers, but most management training/programs/classes all say you must cut the ties quick without notice. All great reasons to ensure your community is protected by employees and departments who are under taxpayer control. Essential services are best served by municipal departments eliminating anything happening fast (you can only close up at the speed of government).

Capejake72 likes this

While, I agree with Antiquefirelt about municipal depts. are better for ensuring essential services. Well written contracts can protect communities that are using commercial services.

In our region there are multiple commercial services who could step in with only a few hours notice. We require a very large performance bond that if the commercial provider did something like this, we could call another company and have them in within 12-24 hours. Then we cash the bond (its worth between 4 and 6 months of total cost). Any additional cost for the new service would be covered by the bond.

When I look at the issues being claimed in the Arlington under attack thread, I know that many of the communities around Arlington use a commercial contractor and they have no guarantee for anything; response time, level of service, or if they will even respond.

antiquefirelt and Dinosaur like this

Lawsuit filed against shuttered ambulance service that stranded hospitals in six states

A six-state private ambulance service that shut down without explanation over the weekend was sued Tuesday for allegedly firing more than 2,000 paramedics and other emergency workers with no notice that they were losing their jobs.

First Med EMS, based in Wilmington, N.C., abruptly folded its tent Friday and Saturday, leaving hospitals and other medical facilities scrambling for medical transportation options in more than 70 municipalities in Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.

At least one municipality — Bertie County, N.C. — declared a state of emergency and said it also would pursue legal action against First Med.

The company, which operated under the names TransMed, Life Ambulance and MedCorp, transported more than a half-million patients a year.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10/21852954-lawsuit-filed-against-shuttered-ambulance-service-that-stranded-hospitals-in-six-states?lite

Since I live here in an area affected by this company, I might as well chime in.

First Med is a private ambulance transport company. They do not respond to any emergency calls here in the Hampton Roads area. They are not "contracted" by any municipality for EMS services. What they do (did) have, is a contract with one of the regional hospitals to provide routine transportation to/from a residence and provider then back home. Most of the transportation calls have been picked up by second area provider. This other provider has also offered to "fast track" all former First Med applicants through their hiring system as to provide the additional resources needed for the additional transport calls.

I'll also say that I have several friends and coworkers that left First Med recently due to mismanagement and poor management. Some of them were full time, others were part time and supplementing their full time Fire/EMS jobs. The story was the same for all of them. One of the worst was from a good friend telling me that as an ALS provider but riding on an BLS unit (even though its set up as an ALS unit), he was not allowed to perform any ALS procedure even though he was precepted and rode as an ALS provider with this company. The only reason they would give him is that "it's company policy to not perform ALS procedures on a BLS call" Seriously!?!?

One of the worst was from a good friend telling me that as an ALS provider but riding on an BLS unit (even though its set up as an ALS unit), he was not allowed to perform any ALS procedure even though he was precepted and rode as an ALS provider with this company. The only reason they would give him is that "it's company policy to not perform ALS procedures on a BLS call" Seriously!?!?

So maybe this is a good thing.

v85 likes this

If I worked for the state EMS agency in that state. I would shut them down upon hearing that. The patient comes first.