Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Will Cassano remain Commisioner under new Admin.

21 posts in this topic

Will Sal Cassano remain as Commisioner of the FDNY under the new administration?

It's possible, there's nothing out there that says he has to go. I can't say I've seen/heard anything about plans for that office.

I was under the impression that the FDNY commissioner was always replaced (retired) prior to 24 months because after that their civil service status changed.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this?

I was under the impression that the FDNY commissioner was always replaced (retired) prior to 24 months because after that their civil service status changed.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this?

I believe you're thinking about the Chief of Department rank Barry, that is a civil service position even though there is no test for it. Commissioners in New York City are all appointees and serve at the pleasure of the mayor, they have no real job protection as far as I know. As far as Cassano goes I have heard that he's out, he did ask to stay but it doesn't look like he will, several different names have been floating around out there for who DeBlasio will replace him with.

Bnechis likes this

Why do you care? No one else who works here does. He is a puppet regardless of his name. and CofD is granted tenure after 2 years and at that point he can do as he pleases, meaning tell Commissioner to GFY but that hasn't happened in probably 30 or 40 years maybe even longer. I hope Nigro comes back, that guy is aces.

Ok to clear things up the commissioner is a mayoral appointee who doesn't have any fire experience and we have had commissioners that had no fire service experience. Chief John O'Hagen actually held both positions at the same time but that has since been outlawed. The commissioner never enjoys tenure.

The Chief of the Department on the other had was formerly a civil service title was the highest rank in all of NYC government that was tested and all in the rank of Deputy Chief and above were eligible to test for it. Under Commissioner Von Essen the city attempted to change the way the chief ranks were decided because it seemed they were not happy with the pool. They proposed Chief Level I and II. Chief level I would be the rank of battalion chief decided by civil service test and promotions above level I would be decided by the commissioner. I believe they reasoned that all upper level chiefs would owe their allegiance to the commissioner and they would like the pool to choose from better. Step in that pesky union the UFOA. They challenged the proposed change in court. The city attempted to argue that there was no real difference between Deputy and Battalion Chief. The union was successful and the change was blocked but the city was pretty committed to not allowing another man to reach tenure in the rank of Chief of Department. The last man to be tenured was the late Pete Ganci who was tenured because his 1 year probation ran out without any action by the city by their inaction he defaulted into tenure. As we all know Pete the fireman's fireman died with the 342 other brave members on that fateful day in September of 2001. They then appointed Dan Nigro to chief a man who stepped up at an unprecedented time to do a very difficult job. Chief Nigro had always done what was asked of him and had routinely taken on difficult jobs like the EMS integration into the department. As thanks for that they showed him the door just shy of a year to avoid tenure and re-wrote the probation for Chief of Department to 2 years. What followed were a few more chiefs that would get all the way to the tenure point and then let go. Finally after all this the UFOA found it self in contract negotiations that required substantial give backs to meet the pattern set. It was in those negotiations (circa 2005 or 2006) that we bargained away Chief of Department as a civil service rank. The Chief of Department now serves at the pleasure of the commissioner. I believe he or she must be filled from the rank of deputy which is the highest civil service rank in the FDNY.

Bnechis and lt411 like this

CofD is granted tenure after 2 years and at that point he can do as he pleases, meaning tell Commissioner to GFY but that hasn't happened in probably 30 or 40 years maybe even longer.

Finally after all this the UFOA found it self in contract negotiations that required substantial give backs to meet the pattern set. It was in those negotiations (circa 2005 or 2006) that we bargained away Chief of Department as a civil service rank. The Chief of Department now serves at the pleasure of the commissioner.

So, the COD is protected or no? Seems like these two statements cannot both be true?

No one ever gets the two years under their belt, always removed or retired before it happens.

But does the COD have CS protection or not?

But does the COD have CS protection or not?

Not until after he is granted tenure after two years in the position, which as multiple people have pointed out, hasn't happened in quite some time.

COD is no longer a civil service test for promotion, it is an appointed position, so no such thing as tenure after 2 years. The union gave the position test up in contract negotiations a few years back. Deputy chief is highest testing position in FDNY.

History once again

Prior to ~2002 1 year probation Civil Service title of Chief of Department (Civil Service Exam)

~2002-2006 2 year probation Civil Service title of Chief of Department (Civil Service Exam)

~2006 forward Chief of Department appointed by the fire commissioner from the rank of Deputy Chief and serves at the pleasure of the fire commissioner. As it stands now no one can be tenured in the rank of Chief of Department or any of the staff positions for that matter. They can theoretically be dropped to Deputy which did happen under Von Essen and/or Safir. I believe Kilduff and Cassano served more than 2 years in the rank of Chief of Department.

No one ever gets the two years under their belt, always removed or retired before it happens.

Not until after he is granted tenure after two years in the position, which as multiple people have pointed out, hasn't happened in quite some time.

COD is no longer a civil service test for promotion, it is an appointed position, so no such thing as tenure after 2 years. The union gave the position test up in contract negotiations a few years back. Deputy chief is highest testing position in FDNY.

History once again

Prior to ~2002 1 year probation Civil Service title of Chief of Department (Civil Service Exam)

~2002-2006 2 year probation Civil Service title of Chief of Department (Civil Service Exam)

~2006 forward Chief of Department appointed by the fire commissioner from the rank of Deputy Chief and serves at the pleasure of the fire commissioner. As it stands now no one can be tenured in the rank of Chief of Department or any of the staff positions for that matter. They can theoretically be dropped to Deputy which did happen under Von Essen and/or Safir. I believe Kilduff and Cassano served more than 2 years in the rank of Chief of Department.

sal was chief from 2006-2010, Kilduff has been since 2010, both over 2 years in rank

Seems like a lot of conflicting information here.

Seems like a lot of conflicting information here.

Conflicting information? Here? Say it isn't so! :lol:

Bnechis likes this

I guess it is okay because she is a political appointee, but can someone jump the ranks from Captain to Commissioner? That alone should be enough of a challenge .

I guess it is okay because she is a political appointee, but can someone jump the ranks from Captain to Commissioner? That alone should be enough of a challenge .

Von Essen never held rank beyond Firefighter. He was the UFA President when appointed Commissioner by Giuliani. And several commissioners had zero fire service experience prior to their appointment (including Nicholas Scoppetta and Howard Safir). That said, IMHO the appointment of Berkman would be a poor choice and a negative signal for FDNY.

Dinosaur likes this

Von Essen never held rank beyond Firefighter. He was the UFA President when appointed Commissioner by Giuliani. And several commissioners had zero fire service experience prior to their appointment (including Nicholas Scoppetta and Howard Safir). That said, IMHO the appointment of Berkman would be a poor choice and a negative signal for FDNY.

And that is because?

INIT915 likes this