Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pagers

Colonie EMS in Colonie, NY (Albany Suburb) switching from Fords to Chevy

11 posts in this topic

Colonie EMS is currently ordering new vehicles and have made the switch to Chevrolet/McCoy Miller and adding a separate HVAC unit for the box. Also a note, they are switching from Diesel to Gas.

Unit 642

2012 Chevrolet/McCoy Miller

CEMS642_zpsd91b8c6d.jpg

Old 642

2007 Ford/McCoy Miller

DSC_2892copy_zps94d83c73.jpg

http://10-75.net/index.htm'>http://10-75.net/index.htm

http://10-75.net/apparatus/ny/albanycnty/cems/apparatus.htm'>http://10-75.net/apparatus/ny/albanycnty/cems/apparatus.htm

Edited by lafd55

They are in upstate NY, but they purchase 2 wheel drive ambulances? The Albany area does get a lot of snow. Also, switching from diesel to gas? We all know that gasoline engines do not last nearly as long as diesel.

I've worked in upstate NY (Syracuse) and in NH. I've never seen the need for AWD ambulances. Gotten along fine with good tires, patience, some hiking and the occasional plow truck/SUV for some really snowy days.

As for gas, yes diesel may last longer, but Diesel engines HATE being run the way we run them. And, most of our ambulances never get into the range of mileage where long lasting comes into play. Any ambulance you work on have 500k+ miles??

The new diesels cost more, fuel costs more, they are expensive to maintain and don't hold the advantage they once did. Fleet managers are clearly looking at gas again.

Just my .02.

Dinosaur likes this

I worked the area over 15 years ago, very few cases where you need 4WD ambulances, especially in the metro area. Sure there were times you wish you had one, but it's not really worth the added cost and operational expense for a commercial service. And no, they do not plow very well up there, in fact some of the worst I have ever seen. I hope they have gotten better.

I hope the rigs are more functional than they are looking.

I've worked in upstate NY (Syracuse) and in NH. I've never seen the need for AWD ambulances. Gotten along fine with good tires, patience, some hiking and the occasional plow truck/SUV for some really snowy days.

As for gas, yes diesel may last longer, but Diesel engines HATE being run the way we run them. And, most of our ambulances never get into the range of mileage where long lasting comes into play. Any ambulance you work on have 500k+ miles??

The new diesels cost more, fuel costs more, they are expensive to maintain and don't hold the advantage they once did. Fleet managers are clearly looking at gas again.

Just my .02.

It's not so much a matter of mileage but of the hours the vehicle runs. The rig may only have 30,000 miles when it retires but could have 60,000 hours on it. To put this in perspective, if you ran the vehicle 24/7/365 for 10 years the rig would have 87,360 hours on it, but in 10 years my truck has 116,000 miles. This is well below its life expectancy. The diesel takes the abuse better than gas. They run cooler and at lower RPMs. Much less wear.
87D124 likes this

Who gives a crap? Just give me an ambulance that is well maintained and properly equipped. The days of massive 4WD and "road warrior" monsters is over. Let's all get back to reality.

gpeifer and Newburgher like this

Who gives a crap? Just give me an ambulance that is well maintained and properly equipped. The days of massive 4WD and "road warrior" monsters is over. Let's all get back to reality.

I agree. I worked out of a van for years with no problem, and guess what happened when it snowed... I still got to the call! With good tires and the weight of the bus it moved just fine. I can't stand these giant land barges some agencies buy. Although, the new demers that my agencies has are pretty sweet. Nice small type II with 4WD. Weren't all that expensive either.

• 4WD ambulances ride in the back is much worst than 2WD. How many days a year do you really need the 4WD? 4, 6, 10? out of 365 days that you give patients a poor ride.
  • Before anyone says what's the difference, get yourself secured to a backboard and ride around in the back. I had a sever back muscle spasm 30 yrs. ago and took that ride. I will crawl to the ER before getting in the back for that ride again.
  • Onspots, nice concept, until you skid in them. they are nice to give you that little extra from not getting stuck, but I have seen them disengage the moment the unit slides sideways and then you have nothing. Most drivers are overconfident with them.
  • Diesel engines do run cooler and last longer, but they require a longer warm up than EMS ever provides them with. They are designed to run and run, not start & stop. Unless your ambulance is posted to a location and running all tour, the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages.
Edited by Bnechis
Monty and Dinosaur like this

On spots!

I don't see the benifit of on-spot chains.

Added expense, something else to break, and performance that does not compare to true tire chains.

Once you learn to put on chains does it really take that long? 10 minutes top to do it completly right. If you had to drive an engine or ambulance through a foot of snow which would you choose?

I don't see the benifit of on-spot chains.

Added expense, something else to break, and performance that does not compare to true tire chains.

Once you learn to put on chains does it really take that long? 10 minutes top to do it completly right. If you had to drive an engine or ambulance through a foot of snow which would you choose?

On spots are intended to get you to a place you can safely chain the rig. Too many people are relying on them full time. They come in handy when you find icy little spots or get caught in a fast storm. That's about it. Gimme a good old wrap any day.
Pagers likes this