mfc2257

American LaFrance Closes Shop

30 posts in this topic

A source I trust has indicated that American LaFrance has closed their doors as of the close of business today.

It is being reported on a web site called South Carolina On Fire

http://sconfire.com/?p=2687&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=breaking-news-american-lafrance-fire-apparatus-closes-doors

at this point 9:58 pm Jan 17, 2014 it is not being reported anywhere else. Probably gives the parent company the weekend and one extra day to prepare for the financial fallout with market opening on Tuesday sine Monday is a holiday on the New York Exchange

http://sconfire.com/?p=2687

American LaFrance LLC (Fire Apparatus Builders) based in Moncks Corner, Pimlico and Ephrata Pa have CLOSED their DOORS today @ 5pm. Telling employees they are closed and not to return next week

What a shattered success story. It's sad that they bought all these great brands (LTI, etc) to bring into their portfolio, and then ruined them as well. It was going so well for them, I wonder who exactly started them down the wrong path? And it doesn't even look like they even tried to sell the company.

I wonder what plans they have for departments that have warranties and/or need parts and service?

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

So what does a dept like yours that has a large number of ALF products do when things break?

I saw an email from a high up at LTI stating LTI will remain open. We will see what happens I guess.

What a shattered success story. It's sad that they bought all these great brands (LTI, etc) to bring into their portfolio, and then ruined them as well. It was going so well for them, I wonder who exactly started them down the wrong path? And it doesn't even look like they even tried to sell the company.

I wonder what plans they have for departments that have warranties and/or need parts and service?

Very true. LTI was one of the best manufacturers of aerial ladders at one time. I am sure someone will buy LTI if this is the final call for ALF.

So what does a dept like yours that has a large number of ALF products do when things break?

1) Stockpile spare parts

2) Warn the City Administration that delays in replacing apparatus will result in long down times and higher costs. Eventually it will mean emergency purchases which do not meet the dept needs and costs more.

3) Custom manufacture parts. This may be ok for minor components, but ladder parts and other systems can not be done due to safety & liability.

Very true. LTI was one of the best manufacturers of aerial ladders at one time. I am sure someone will buy LTI if this is the final call for ALF.

The problem for selling LTI is most of the engineers who designed them left when ALF moved to SC. They all went to Crimson (now renamed Spartan ERV).

I suspect (although everything always goes primarily to the Lowest Bid Submitted) that some of the major cities in Westchester County that have had LTI Tower Ladders as part of their Front Line Rigs (ie: Yonkers) will now look elsewhere for apparatus replacement (Does Spartan/Smeal make a decent Tower Ladder?)

No plans. They have not supported us with parts or warranties for a couple of years.

Ditto! We've used Fireline Equipment a company nearby to Ephrata and comprised of many prior ALF employees who lost their jobs during the first bankruptcy period. They have been able to get part and service to us, both quicker and cheaper than ALF since shortly after we took delivery back in 2006.

Didn't they recently repair Yonkers Rescue 1 under warranty? Did they do that in house as one of their last acts, or did they farm it out?

My first engine was a 700 Series LaFrance, the ladder was a Maxim. Then a couple of Macks. Nothing lasts forever, they all had good runs, produced some great apparatus, much of which is still in service. There are still many long established and newly established manufacturers producing quality, state of the art apparatus. As long as there is need, there will be those to satisfy it. I hope those employees affected by the closing can be absorbed by other manufacturers or independent apparatus service companies.

http://shar.es/UhFxX

In two months, the Hickory, NC Fire Department was supposed to get a brand new $700,000 ladder truck.

But that won't happen after the company building it shut down.

I wonder how many more departments are in this situation?

Stay Safe.

Can't you put a performance bond in the bid in case of situations like this?

And I wonder if there's any company that will buy the truck "as is" and finish it up? Or would it be seized in the bankruptcy case?

It's an interesting side note that the same investment group, Patriarch Parters, owns Transcare as well, amongst other companies.

My inside sources (no BS) tell me that every day a certain number of employees work at the Lancaster LTI site and work the complete day.

The article says they had a performance bond. As for buying the incomplete apparatus, yes it has happened. When Hahn closed their doors former dealers went and bid on the rigs they were set to deliver. Some were delivery ready, some not so.

Can't you put a performance bond in the bid in case of situations like this?

Yes and that protects any $$ you already paid them. But you are back to square 1 in terms of rebidding the project. So tack on another 18-24 months after the bond is settled.

For those departments affected, there are plenty of well equipped demos out there, especially with FDIC and trade show season approaching, It may not be the "custom truck", but often can be modified easily to fit a departments needs. So as long as they have their money back, and they have their minds open, they could be in a former demo in only a couple of months.

My inside sources (no BS) tell me that every day a certain number of employees work at the Lancaster LTI site and work the complete day.

Could they be the employees of Spartan ERV that previously were using a portion of the same Ephrata plant?

Could they be the employees of Spartan ERV that previously were using a portion of the same Ephrata plant?

Ding Ding Ding!!! But on a serious note my department is affected by this mess.

Ding Ding Ding!!! But on a serious note my department is affected by this mess.

As I noted before, we found that Fireline Equipment was extremely knowledgeable, well stocked with parts and very willing to help us. When we couldn't get things through ALF, Fireline had them on the shelf. When we had issues that needed ALF job specific programming for, ALF couldn't help, Fireline did. Fireline is pretty close to Ephrata and has mobile service (they've been here in Rockland, Maine twice) and we just sent our Tower there for 3 days this fall. If you find yourselves struggling for parts or service on an ALF or LTI issue, these guys are great.

If the brand comes back maybe they should change the name to Nosferatu Fire Eq. Co. Back from the dead again. I'm sure Patriarch got every nickel from the company before they slinked away.

As I noted before, we found that Fireline Equipment was extremely knowledgeable, well stocked with parts and very willing to help us. When we couldn't get things through ALF, Fireline had them on the shelf. When we had issues that needed ALF job specific programming for, ALF couldn't help, Fireline did. Fireline is pretty close to Ephrata and has mobile service (they've been here in Rockland, Maine twice) and we just sent our Tower there for 3 days this fall. If you find yourselves struggling for parts or service on an ALF or LTI issue, these guys are great.

Thanks I will keep this in mind! We are in the middle of a refurb and they have half of our tiller in PA. It was suppose to be complete the end of Feb.

Thanks I will keep this in mind! We are in the middle of a refurb and they have half of our tiller in PA. It was suppose to be complete the end of Feb.

ALF had it? We visited the Refurb plant in Lebenon when we were there in 06, but I'd heard they'd sold that off and brought work back in to the main plant? That was an apparatus buff's dream, tons of apparatus under the roof and a yard full as well. It was a great place to get ideas from so many different types and styles of apparatus. Again, too bad for the employees, the guys we met throughout our visits were all extremely knowledgeable and seemed to take pride in what they were doing.

ALF had it? We visited the Refurb plant in Lebenon when we were there in 06, but I'd heard they'd sold that off and brought work back in to the main plant? That was an apparatus buff's dream, tons of apparatus under the roof and a yard full as well. It was a great place to get ideas from so many different types and styles of apparatus. Again, too bad for the employees, the guys we met throughout our visits were all extremely knowledgeable and seemed to take pride in what they were doing.

LTI in Ephrata has the trailer. Spartan is building a new tractor.

Edited by spin_the_wheel