Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyC3J

Female Explorer has skills!

11 posts in this topic

Don't know how many of you have ever seen this before (or if it's been posted here earlier and I missed it), but I stumbled across this video today and was quite impressed by it. A 17 year old female explorer sets up a porta-tank operation all by herself in 2 min. and 30 sec.

Kudos to this young lady for learning her craft well, and also an honorable mention to the truck committee and apparatus manufacturer for designing a rig that can be operated by a single person if need be.

Upon further examination, it appears this clip was uploaded four years ago. Wonder how she's doing today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-VHjdTSYLs#t=14

x635 likes this

Interesting idea for the dropping the portable tank.....

Interesting idea for the dropping the portable tank.....

Looks very good. That's very common for ladders overseas.

I have heard rumor they have lots of potential pinch points & caution is needed.

SageVigiles likes this

Should we really be that impressed? She's a female big deal there's plenty of great female firefighters. By now we should know firefighting has nothing to do with your gender or race or anything like that. She's obviously put in real time learning her trade.

I am thoroughly impressed with the way that apparatus was set up to be run by one person. It's bad enough if there are no hydrants but requiring huge amounts of manpower to run the water supply part of the fire robs the fireground of the firefighters needed to put out the fire. I like the fact that tremendous amounts of energy were not needed to run around the rig and get things. She basically stays in a small area and accomplishes everything.

M' Ave, FFBlaser and Morningjoe like this

Should we really be that impressed? She's a female big deal there's plenty of great female firefighters. By now we should know firefighting has nothing to do with your gender or race or anything like that. She's obviously put in real time learning her trade.

I am thoroughly impressed with the way that apparatus was set up to be run by one person. It's bad enough if there are no hydrants but requiring huge amounts of manpower to run the water supply part of the fire robs the fireground of the firefighters needed to put out the fire. I like the fact that tremendous amounts of energy were not needed to run around the rig and get things. She basically stays in a small area and accomplishes everything.

We should commend the fact that at 16-17, the member is able to flow water to a portable pond by themself in 2.5 minutes.

Additionally, when 0.33% of the largest fire department in the world is female, and 3.4% of firefighters nationally are female, any press that highlights the skill and contributions of members other than white, middle aged, christian men should be lauded.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nyc-female-firefighters-trying-boost-numbers

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

We should commend the fact that at 16-17, the member is able to flow water to a portable pond by themself in 2.5 minutes.

Additionally, when 0.33% of the largest fire department in the world is female, and 3.4% of firefighters nationally are female, any press that highlights the skill and contributions of members other than white, middle aged, christian men should be lauded.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nyc-female-firefighters-trying-boost-numbers

I'm not Christian... Where's my story?

I'm not Christian...

Me neither.......does that make us "minorities"?

Fact remains though, women are the super minority and in this video this one shows, as do many out there in FDNY-land, that there are qualified women for this job. Hopefully the press and the fraternal groups will finally choose to put these fine examples on a pedestal rather than prop up the weak.

Morningjoe likes this

Me neither.......does that make us "minorities"?

Fact remains though, women are the super minority and in this video this one shows, as do many out there in FDNY-land, that there are qualified women for this job. Hopefully the press and the fraternal groups will finally choose to put these fine examples on a pedestal rather than prop up the weak.

Minority this, minority that. When is everyone going to put race, gender, sexual preferences, religious background, completely behind us, and simply acknowledge when great work is done. What this explorer has done, was exceptional and will surpass the abilities of many Senior firefighters. We shouldn't segregate her any further by saying "this female did this, this female did that" but rather including her in the bigger picture of "this firefighter did this, this firefighter did that." And that should be applied across the board, regardless of the job title or task. The only way to truly include everyone without discriminating, is to remove superfluous titles of race, gender and sexual preference.

I don't care who you are, or what you are. If you can cook an excellent cake, you're a great baker. If you can legally get me more money back on my taxes, you're a great accountant. If you can stretch a line, and force a door, vent a roof, follow the chain of command, then you're a Great firefighter.

What this video shows is a great firefighter.

Minority this, minority that. When is everyone going to put race, gender, sexual preferences, religious background, completely behind us, and simply acknowledge when great work is done. What this explorer has done, was exceptional and will surpass the abilities of many Senior firefighters. We shouldn't segregate her any further by saying "this female did this, this female did that" but rather including her in the bigger picture of "this firefighter did this, this firefighter did that." And that should be applied across the board, regardless of the job title or task. The only way to truly include everyone without discriminating, is to remove superfluous titles of race, gender and sexual preference.

I don't care who you are, or what you are. If you can cook an excellent cake, you're a great baker. If you can legally get me more money back on my taxes, you're a great accountant. If you can stretch a line, and force a door, vent a roof, follow the chain of command, then you're a Great firefighter.

What this video shows is a great firefighter.

Can I get an Amen........

Morningjoe likes this

Ah mein,too