Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tarrytown's New Tower Ladder 78

42 posts in this topic

I know there is going to be some conterversy about this Ladder.

A new photo by FDNY1075 is posted as the feature photo, www.emtbravo.com

But I think this Ladder looks quite HOT! The paint scheme is AWESOME! It matches the EMTBravo.com scheme, lol! (Blue and grey also happen to be my favorite colors) I really like the way this TL looks! Even though I'm a big believer that apparatus should be red or Hartsdale/Elmsford green, this is what makes fire apparatus so interesting!!!

I hope TTown FD will use it properly.

BTW, the only thing that bothers me.....I have heard through a friend who spoke to an ALF rep at the NYS Chiefs show that this Ladder cost $1.2 million. (I doubt the paint contributed to it, becuase it has to be painted anyways, right?) If that is true, then that is outrageous....I wonder if that is the most expensive apparatus in this county. What do fully loaded ALF Eagle MM towers go for anyways nowadays???

Any idea where they are going to house it yet?? Also, this will be a second ladder for them, or are they disposing of the E-One RM????

If it really was 1.2 million.........that would be crazy, talk about a blatent waste of money. I hope thats not true. Not to be totally negetive though, its a really sharp looking rig. I'm not into the Smurf blue, cause fire trucks are red, but its still a sweet rig.

Bad color, and worse price. They must have really gone for all the bells and whistles and goodies for it to cost that much.

Even if it did cost $1.2 million, they will probably have the truck for closer to 30 years.$1.2 million for that long a time is actually quite a bargain. In response to our brother from Larchmont, fire trucks are coloured any damned way the people cutting the check want it coloured. It will not be replacing Conqueror H&L's E-One, it is replacing Washington Eng.'s Hahn. Rumour has it that it will be housed in a temporary structure on Martling Avenue behind the Hitachi building. I wish Washington Engine and the Tarrytown Fire Department best of luck with TL78.

It did replace an engine. How is this going to affect there response to alarms? Are they now down an engine? What was the reaoning for a second ladder? If you are going to have 2 trucks wouldn't you want a stickand a ladder? I would

:-k :-k :-k

I believe L37 is a rear mounted E-One straight-stick. Similar to L42 from Ossining. Colors are interesting, how did you guys come up with this color-scheme? Best of luck with it, I hope you get your money's worth.

Rumor says that it has heated seats, every position. Can anyone confirm this?

Is smurf blue a custom color?

That is a sweet looking truck for an American Lafrance..The color is really sharp. Since it was said it is replacing an engine and I noticed it has a pump on it, does it carry water? Good luck on the truck though

Wait untill you see this truck in person. You will see it is a bad paint job. doors and the frame of the truck appears to be different shades of blue.

Well for the price of the truck it should be perfect. I think it should be sent back to ALF and have the problem corrected...But from a picture standpoint it's a nice looking rig and quite unique in color

The reasoning for the second aerial in Tarrytown is simple, the many office buildings along Rte 9 and Rte 119, the tightly packed downtown area, several nursing homes and a college in their response district makes having two truck companies a no-brainer. It should also stop the "musical ladders" game that gets played along the Hudson every time Sleepy Hollow makes a mutual aid request.

Since it was said it is replacing an engine and I noticed it has a pump on it, does it carry water?

Judging from the 4 vertical lights behind the rear cab door (under the flood light), it does carry water. Those 4 lights are commonly water level indicators so anyone on the fireground has an idea how much water is left in the booster tank.

Can anyone verify the reason why Tarrytown's Tower Ladder 78 has not been delivered yet? Being just a town away in Sleepy Hollow Fire i heard because there is no fire house to put in on Rt. 119?

It has not been delivered yet because ALF is using it at fire shows. An earlier post indicated that it will be housed in a temporary structure on Martling Avenue behind the Hitachi building. Hope this takes care of your curiosity. :D

As far as I know, that temporary structure has yet to be built.

As far as I know, that temporary structure has yet to be built.
it carrys 350 gallons of water and 50 gallons of foam

To ENG8022, is the Martling Avenue rumour true?

I was told when I took the photo that the truck cost a bit more than a million, and have heard from a few other sources that it was 1.2 million. It also has a built in thermal camera in the bucket, tower controls in I believe 4 locations, and XM satellite radio. :wink:

Tarrytown has proven the time honored tradition of going overboard. If they, or should i say the taxpayers of tarrytown shelled out 1.2 mill for that then they have really lost their minds. Having a tower ladder has it's benefits over a stick. But the question on the table should be, did they purchase it out of necessity of just to have a second truck.

The argument for a second ladder in Tarrytown has actually raged for over two decades. With the construction of the Tarrytown Marriott (now in the Elmsford Protection District), the Talleyrand complex and others, it was decided to get a second ladder. It just wasn't decided when to purchase it, until recently. For the benefit of some, even if you don't need the aerial device at a particular incident, you may need other truck company gear in short order, and realistically, waiting for Ladder 37 to arrive at the Carrolwood condos from Main Street can be a bit of a stretch, especially with the 12 hour a day traffic jam on Route 9 from the Route 119 intersection to the corner of Route 9 and Pocantico Street in Sleepy Hollow. It is my firm belief that it is in Tarrytown's best interests to have two truck companies.

No ALF is going to last 30 years if it gets any work, one local Dept has ALFs and they are constantly in the shops [-X

To efdac, Yonkers does what FDNY does, they beat the crap out of them. With the call volume in Yonkers I wouldn't expect any rig to last realistically past 10 years. I only make an assumption that you mean Yonkers' ALF's. Please tell me if i am mistaken.

I believe it will be housed on Rt. 119 on donated space in the parking lot of the office building across the route from the entrance/exit to I-87. If anyone knows Martling Ave. behind Hitachi, it's a hilly curvy road with no room to house it.

MGMedic, the Martling Avenue location would have room if the building is offset enough. Bear in mind so far Martling is still a rumour, and the structure would only be temporary. Then again, Engine 77's quarters is temporary, but four years on.........

Eventually Tower 78 possibly housed with Engine 77 will locate to Route 119.

I was told when I took the photo that the truck cost a bit more than a million, and have heard from a few other sources that it was 1.2 million. It also has a built in thermal camera in the bucket, tower controls in I believe 4 locations, and XM satellite radio.  :wink:

8-[

All that money, and they still won't be able to listen to Stern after this year...

E 40, vil of mamk was going to be the same blue from RDMURRAY, however, since they finally got the department to stop complaining about the yellow they had for the previous 20 years, they decided not to go through it all again and stayed with the yellow