N1Medic

What Happened To 60 Control's Fieldcom?

18 posts in this topic

I used to see 60 Control's Fieldcom at every major incident when they first got it. I don't think I've seen it on a scene in years? Do they still run it?

Westfield12 and WCFCX613 like this

You know, when I see the country about to go to a 20 TRILLION dollar debt ceiling and taxes keep going up and up, its hard to understand how any department can have less than industry standard staffing. Really, where does all the money go?

I had to kill some time on Saturday so I stopped at a County fire station. 1 Engine, 1 Tanker, 1 Brush Truck and 1 Ambulance.........2 firefighters. The next nearest station is not manned at all. The paid are supplemented by volunteers. By the way, pay down here (Rural Georgia) is about $11-$14 dollars per hour.

And, if you're fortunate enough to get a grant, when the grant money is gone, so are your extra firefighters.

With the notable exception of our major cities, are our first responders really capable of handing what's coming?

WCFCX613, Dinosaur and AFS1970 like this

Inquiring parties want to know. Wonder why it's being kept such a top secret. I'd love to know the criteria to request it, and if it's even still available.I hope I hear an IC request it to the scene, especially now that winter's coming and see what happens.

WCFCX613 likes this

Are you kidding me? That type of incident yesterday in Ossining is exactly what the Field Com is for! With all the DES personnel that responded, not one person could drive it to the scene? So, Westchester County has a vehicle for major incidents, that's designed for multi-agency coordination and command, and it just sat in a garage yesterday? No way, it had to be out for maintenance or something.

Who does the decision about the Fieldcom's response fall under? Is there still a "Fire Council" or Fire Chiefs association that could look into why it is not responding to these type of incidents? Maybe they don't want to pay the overtime to the Dispatchers who operate it, or the communications center doesn't have the personnel to spare.

I also want to add my name to the list of knowing why it didn't respond yesterday. I sent an email to the Commissioner, let's see what I get back.

nydude2473 likes this

If I'm not mistaken, it's staffed by the County PD Communications Unit which includes civilian Comm. Unit guys and County cops assigned to the unit.

If you are old enough, you would remember the County Police when they were 'just' the Parkway Police. Then their leadership moved to make them a real force in the County, expanding their capabilities and equipment and transforming them into the pre-eminent department they appear to be today.

Reading the incident report from this morning, it was clear that the County officers assigned to Mt. Kisco had a major incident with potential loss of life, so the County PD responded by sending the appropriate support.

Good for them.

Is the County really so poor that it can not have 24/7 paid fire personnel able to respond specialized County equipment and apparatus to emergencies?

vwwh1 and nydude2473 like this

Did the Field Com respond to the major incident at the Tappan Zee Bridge yesterday?

No, the Field Comm was not on scene for the Tug Accident. However, the WCPD Mobile Command was on scene eventually. 

vodoly likes this