Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Cuomo rescue trucks 'costly exercise in futility'

9 posts in this topic

Interesting article.

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-local/article/Cuomo-rescue-trucks-costly-exercise-in-futility-6121331.php

Gov. Andrew Cuomo's fortified Chevrolet Suburban was no match for the swollen rivers overwhelming the Southern Tier.
It was late in the summer of 2011, and two successive tropical storms, Irene and Lee, ripped through New York, bringing torrential rains that caused massive flooding, widespread evacuations and hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.

Cuomo viewed some of the hardest-hit areas from a State Police helicopter. But the aerial tour limited his ability to get first-hand accounts from local officials and to interact with grief-stricken residents. So he switched to his black Suburban.

"He went into water that he shouldn't have been in," said a former state Homeland Security official familiar with the incidents. "The troopers advised him not to, but he went in. And they were certainly caught, and were in a position where that Suburban was not heavy enough — that it could have floated away."

According to interviews with current and former state officials, Cuomo was not happy to be reined in by the storms and vowed that it wouldn't happen again.

The governor, a longtime mechanic with a penchant for fast cars and motorcycles, told state officials to purchase four "high-axle" rescue trucks to be assigned to the State Police and posted at security facilities and airports around the state, ready for his use on a moment's notice.

THE REST OF THE ARTICLE CAN BE FOUND HERE:

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-local/article/Cuomo-rescue-trucks-costly-exercise-in-futility-6121331.php

Westfield12 likes this

I couldn't read the full article, but I would think they are the dark blue, four door dump trucks. There is one stationed at Stewart airport. Two wheel drive, with red instead of amber lights, and the spare tire mount welded into the middle of the dump bed. I have pictures on my phone, I'll try to put them on here.

Westfield12 likes this

I couldn't read the full article, but I would think they are the dark blue, four door dump trucks. There is one stationed at Stewart airport. Two wheel drive, with red instead of amber lights, and the spare tire mount welded into the middle of the dump bed. I have pictures on my phone, I'll try to put them on here.

Similar to the ones the city has for flooding?

10579109856_687d2d21f6_b.jpg

Completely wasted space behind the cab, how about some type of enclosure with bench seating to aid in evacuation and why not all wheel drive instead of two wheel so it can go in the snow, speaking of which how about a plow attachment and a winch.

Sounds like they had money for dump trucks not specialized vehicles and this is the best they could do. Another waste of taxpayer money.

Newburgher and fdalumnus like this

Not as well thought out. Actually, to me it looks like the only purpose of these trucks, was a way of spending money.

NYSDOT runs the same trucks but in yellow.

I had seen one of these in the city after Sandy. Always wondered why NYSP needed a DOT dump truck. Makes sense now.....

Someone should send this to Preet Bharara

Completely wasted space behind the cab, how about some type of enclosure with bench seating to aid in evacuation and why not all wheel drive instead of two wheel so it can go in the snow, speaking of which how about a plow attachment and a winch.

Sounds like they had money for dump trucks not specialized vehicles and this is the best they could do. Another waste of taxpayer money.

That was never a consideration. Didn't you read the article? These are strictly to be used by the Governor when he has to distract people involved in an emergency response by showing up and "taking a tour" (read photo op). Why he would order a trooper to drive into flood water is beyond me and that the trooper did is equally ridiculous. He needs to be less of a responder. It's pathetic.

Newburgher likes this

These got stuck in the snow (and King Andy didn't like that) so they have ordered new 4x4s that will mimic the FDNY high axle vehicles much closer. Theyre delivered but not completely upfitted.

3 of these were originally lettered for NYSP, later stripped and repainted black to match DHSES scheme. 2 Others are DOT yellow with the DHSES logo on the door.

post-778-0-82114100-1450356940.jpg

EmsFirePolice likes this