Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viper

Mount Pleasant sued for poaching NYC officer

9 posts in this topic

The Mount Pleasant police department thought it was getting a bargain when they hired a new officer in 2014 who was a fresh graduate of the New York Police Department’s training academy.

But now the New York City is suing the town to recoup the cost of training that officer.

New York City filed a lawsuit against Mount Pleasant in Westchester County court on Feb. 11 in order to get back $47,670 in expenses related to training ex-NYPD officer John Kardian, according to court filings.

Article: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/mount-pleasant/2016/02/17/nypd-mount-pleasant-police-officer/80519376/

Edited by Viper

How much does the Westchester Police Academy charge agencies per student?

And if you take the Westchester County PD Towns and Villages test, you have a better shot if you go through NYPD first?

NYPD now has a 2 year waiting list.  10 years ago you got in, in 2 months.  About 16 years ago Mayor Guiliani had the state change the law on NYPD lateral transfers.  Used to be if you were NYPD and wanted to work out east or north simply go to that department and submit your resume no need to take the towns and villages test.  Now of course you do.  NYPD was losing so many cops to the suburbs they had to do something so they did.  And now recently NYPD pushed the state to pass the law getting reimbursement from towns taking cops with 5years or less.  So to answer your question of better shot? not really.  Getting a job in the towns and villages is like getting the golden ticket in wildly Wonka. 

No offense to anybody but I feel like you are really doing a disservice to that community you get on the job for when you pull some stuff like this. I know everybody would love to work closer to home but honestly, just being able to get on the job is lucky enough. 

I can see why this is an issue for NYC, and I can sort of see how the individual may not be dealing with the first department completely ethically. However many people looking for a career take multiple tests. Very often you have no real idea when your are going to come up on someone's list. So a department calls you and offers you the job, you take it. Then a short time later another department offers you a better job and you take that. Outside of public safety we would just call that climbing the ladder of success. Here we call it poaching.

Chkpoint, x635, fdalumnus and 1 other like this

AFS you are absolutely correct.  Here is the thing the NYPD is a interesting situation and this is what I mean.  You can go to the NYPD and be a patrolman your whole career which is fine and work in the same PCT.  Or you can easily become a boss and climb the ranks and retire from there and go on to do many things with a great salary in your new gig.  Maybe running a department in Westchester or a security firm or head of security for some of the big corporations and so on.  Or you get into a specialized unit as a cop and retire and go make some good money working for one of these bosses now in the private sector.  Maybe driving and doing security for a high profile person.   So much opportunity. Sometimes none of the above I meet cops and they want to do their 20 and move down south, nothing more.   Now NYPD cops make I think now after the total 2% raise top pay is $78k at 5.5 years.  Add on night diff if you work after 4pm and before 7am I think those are the hours. Add holiday pay and longevity you are up to $91-93k. A lot of OT and giving up many days off and you can make $100-110. Or you go to Anytown, NY in the east end or up north and walking in the door the top pay is $105+. And that maybe 5-7or so steps to that top pay Depending where.  You do a hell of a lot less, then NYPD and you don't have to walk the beat or do OT which is always for awful details and working high crime areas on day off from 530pm-2am or 4am. Miss a lot of family time to make that $105k.  But in those towns the opportunities I listed above will not happen forba large majority of cops and majority don't move up in rank because there are 40 cops competing for that 1 Sgt spot.  Yes getting the job is lucky but 75% of NYPD cops maybe even more would leave to go else where especially the past several years.  After getting on in the city you don't feel so lucky anymore.  You are 1 step closer to prison and being on the front page 

Edited by Chkpoint
AFS1970 likes this

Maybe if NYC paid their cops a decent wage guys wouldn't be jumping ship. 1% raise for cops, double digits for city council...

The city shows no respect to NYPD.

Edited by SageVigiles
AFS1970 and Chkpoint like this

3 hours ago, SageVigiles said:

Maybe if NYC paid their cops a decent wage guys wouldn't be jumping ship. 1% raise for cops, double digits for city council...

The city shows no respect to NYPD.

This is the problem they are paid beans compared to other jobs outside the city the legislature voted themselves a 32% raise what bullets do they take there have been 4 cops in NYPD shot in the last few weeks my son is a cop  in the projects where there are a lot of drugs and guns the money needs to be up there like other jobs

SageVigiles and Chkpoint like this