Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Firehouse USA:Boston Next Episode Sept 20th!

31 posts in this topic

Firehouse USA: Boston will premiere it's next episode September 20th (next Tuesday) on the Discovery Channel. If you remember, there was a sneak preview of this show in July. The show will repeat at 11pm, and again sometime during the following weekend. It should be a regularly scheduled series, every Tuesday night, but for some reason it's only showing one episode listed at this time.."Huntington Ave Express".

top_banner.jpg

It's scheduled to premiere at 2000hrs on Tuesday, September 20th (Next Tuesday).

I cant wait for that show it looks to be a great show by the coming atractions. Go Boston YEA!

Two of my buddies grew up with one of the Lieutenants of the form the truck they said that it nuts up thier. the young lieutenant used to be in FDNY before he moved back home

Bump, premieres tonight.

Yes 121, I am posting, then going to study, eat dinner, watch the show, then bed! ;)

Bump Half Hour to go

T-munus 30 Mins and counting

Hey, is this Firehouse show going to be in Boston every week?

to my knowlage yes it's like every other show

i thought the show was pretty good. looks like they are gonna get inside shots on some of these fires, which is good since all we ever see is smoke coming out a window when they do the reality thing with firefighting. i think they should look into doing a FDNY house for next season, then maybe like L.A., Miami, whatever. would be interesteing to see how diffrent cities do stuff.

i thought the show was pretty good. looks like they are gonna get inside shots on some of these fires, which is good since all we ever see is smoke coming out a window when they do the reality thing with firefighting. i think they should look into doing a FDNY house for next season, then maybe like L.A., Miami, whatever. would be interesteing to see how diffrent cities do stuff.

yeah that would be a good idea. it make me want to become a firefighter i never seen that inside of a burning room that was really cool. the only thing that get's me out of that running is that agility exam, but other than that i would love to do what you guys do. :(

I'd be curious to see if anyone from OSHA (or MA equivenant) watched it. I thought it was rather interesting that during the car fire scene the narrator is explaining how poisonous the smoke is and not one firefighter is wearing SCBA. Better yet, the Lieut explains you "just stay upwind of the smoke".

Did anyone else notice the constant PASS Alarms going off in the background? Every call they went on, and even when they were in the firehouse!

When I worked in professional scenery shops and theaters (one shop was actually on Huntington Avenue in Boston, 3 blocks from E37/L26) it was mandatory that we be PROVIDED with safety glasses, ear protection, respirators, fall arrest equipment, etc. Whether or not we WORE the proper protection was technically up to the individual employee.

We did have a boss/supervisor, and I suppose that they would be the first person to be questioned by OSHA in the event of an accident

Now, in the case of a Fire Department or other uniformed service, you have officers (such as a Lieutenant) who are clearly in charge of the men/women on their crew.

I do not mean to diminish the dangers of sparking grinders and loud table saws... but clearly there are much more serious dangers related to firefighting, and in the case of "Firehouse USA: Boston" it is pretty ridiculous that they have a Lieutenant telling the camera that in a car fire you should just "stay upwind" of the nasty smoke.

To have a reality check for a moment- we all know that this sort of thing happens. For those of you that are officers- I hope you use your influence and authority to make sure that everyone wears proper PPE/SCBA.

As a firefighter, I think Discovery Channel and the BFD were careless in airing that segment. But I'm sure that the director of the show loved it because it shows the guys from E37/L26 as smoke-eating super-heroes.

...no doubt in my mind that they are heroes- but I'd like to see them retire with healthy lungs.

...and it was kind of silly that while they are having an emotional scene with that young man from Canada there were PASS alarms going off in the garage!

Edited by 242steve

Ok, a couple of things here. I love all the critics of what is arguably one of the premier fire departments in the nation.

I am fairly confident that they have seen more fire than the vast majority of you on this site put together. They may not have followed YOUR sop for car fires, are you aware of what theirs are? Have you gone online to read their PPE SOP?

As for the PASS alarms. They go off. A lot. And, as for the comment about the PASS alarm going off in the station...did you notice if it was change of shift? Part of checking your PPE should include checking that PASS device. Every day. Do you do it when you do your truck checks? Do you do truck checks?

All I am saying, in a somewhat harsh manner, is that I have no tolerance for all the people who watch a TV show that essentially shows a glimpse of life in a working firehouse, and you see a few inconsistencies and are suddenly the experts on how bad Boston Fire is. They may not do everything your way, and that does not make it wrong. Not offering excuses for some of the things that went on, but c'mon now. The show has been off for a few hours, and you are jumping all over them for stuff you saw. What are your credentials and experience that give you the priviledge to do that?

I have to agree with Stat on this one. I work in a company in New York City that is probably quite similar to the firehouse depicted on this show. Car fires are just another routine emergency that we deal with day in and day out. I personally dont wear my mask at a car fire, its personnal preferance. As far as the background noises in the firehouse, at any given time of day or night in my firehouse it sounds like a jobsite. SCBA's are being checked, saws are being run, the rigs are being put through there paces etc etc. Its what goes on in a big city firehouse. You cant compare it to a small dept or a volunteer dept because there are vast differences between the two.

I caught the last ten minutes of it last night. Doesn't look much different than some of the other shows I've seen.

I love how some guys go "backdraft" with no bunkerpants and such. and with the pass alarms, the cool thing about the show is almost all of it is real, its not set up or anything, maybe some but if that part with the kid wasnt being filmed, the same thing would have happened. One thing i wish they would have had was maybe slow the show down a little. it was like once your off one job, bang, they got another. it just seemed that the show was on fastforward. over all though, id give it an A+!!!

heres the TV listing thing... :blink:

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/series.j...721&channel=DSC

Edited by Firefighter57

Guys-

If they are going to film an important/emotional moment- they could have waited until the PASS alarm testing or whatever was finished... I realize that it is a "reality" show- but give me a break, it is not ALL filmed on-the-go, there are a lot of set-up scenes.

I still stand by my statement that it is totally careless of a Lieutenant to go on TV and say "you basically try to stand upwind..." after the narrator has just told the audience that car fires pose the dangers of explosion and poisonous gasses.

Remember- a lot of people watching the show have no working knowledge of firefighting. Its called the Discovery Channel... lets hope that people aren't "discovering" that some of this country's bravest are taking un-necessary risks.

The Boston guys not wearing their masks at a car fire will continue to irritate me just as much as Paulie, Vinny and Rick welding with the "close-your-eyes" method on American Chopper.

If Discovery Channel is all about teaching and informing... they should try to teach by example.

I guess nobody else caught the disclaimer at the beginning of the show...

Something to the effect of "we made up some scenes due to safety concerns."

Be careful when you're watching to not believe everything you see. Some of it is made up and rightfully so, real fires don't always make for good video footage.

As for the car fire attack, if it is thier policy to do it that way, so be it. Perhaps they are not required to don an SCBA. As others said, personal preference. I've put out a few car fires without mine - but when I did do this it was to "not look like a wuss" when I was younger in the Department. Now that I am older and sometimes wiser (I said sometimes), not to mention a leader, I take the time to pack up everytime. Why?? Three reasons, personal preference, Department SOG, and to set an example for my peers.

I enjoyed the show - and that's all I watched it for. I didn't flip it on to chastize anyone or to point fingers.......GEEZ, SETTLE DOWN PEOPLE, IT'S FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT, NOT FOR TRAINING!!!

I love how some guys go "backdraft" with no bunkerpants and such. 

Firefighter57, that is part of their PPE in Boston. Remember, just cause someone, somewhere taught us something, does not make it right. One of the best things one of my instructors once told me was: Half of what I am gonna teach you is wrong, I just don't know which half yet.

Check their website. You do not need to wear Bunkers in Beantown, it is up to the individual firefighter.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/bfd/news/New_B...Gear_Policy.htm

It was a great show it would be even better if it was with the FDNY

Edited by jklam3

Welcome to the real word. Its alot more than shiney fire trucks and parades....

Welcome to the real word. Its alot more than shiney fire trucks and parades....

Say it ain't so!!!!! Parades are far more important then anything, aren't they?

Having witnessed and worked with Boston FD, and being a Boston FD fan, despite what may be portrayed on the show (DONT FORGET CREATIVE EDITIING!!!) they get the job done quite effectively and safely a majority of the time...however they are a very traditonal, very deeply rooted, and very old department with a lot of issues.

As far as the next "Firehouse USA"....I'd love to see LA City!!!

Having witnessed and worked with Boston FD, and being a Boston FD fan, despite what may be portrayed on the show (DONT FORGET CREATIVE EDITIING!!!) they get the job done quite effectively and safely a majority of the time...however they are a very traditonal, very deeply rooted, and very old department with a lot of issues.

As far as the next "Firehouse USA"....I'd love to see LA City!!!

Anyone else want to see them do a "Firehouse USA: Detroit" during Halloween time? That should provide enough "adrenaline-boosting entertainment!"

Na it is all about "Firehouse USA- FDNY". like i said before the idea of a diffrent city each season would be great. it lets you see how other guys do it. some where bunker pants, other the 3/4 length boots, some guys wear Scott packs and others go super human lung capacity. just enjoy the show and learn stuff

how about chicago...that would be cool. FDNY would be nice but do they even still allow ride alongs? i thought they stoped that. and to stat213, i wasnt saying it was right or wrong. i like how they are traditional and if they stay safe with little record of injury related to their way of firefighting, then good for them and id say keep going with what they're doing now. its like what the fdny said about wearing shorts as house dress, there is no big list of injuries related to them so why take them away.

I still stick by my original comment from another thread that the show is a crock. If a so-called "reality" show has to be re-worked so that it appears to be more "real," which is what happened over the summer, then the producers accomplished the exact opposite of what they supposedly set out to do. It ceases to be a reality show when you actively change the definition of reality.