Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Death Of K-Rock NY

35 posts in this topic

Well, I have heard today that NY's only rock radio station (even that is a stretch now) is dumping its rock format to become "Free FM". So now in the NY Market, we have Z100, which is a waste of airwaves, 10,000 spanish language channel formats, and NO rock station.

Thank goodness I switched to Sirius Satellite Radio. Octane Channel 20 is THE BEST!!!! Now that I've gone satellite, I can never go back! And I think many are with me...FM and commericals on radio is slowly dying!

Also announced, David Lee Roth, EMT-D is replacing Howard Stern on the K-Rock channel. Adam Carolla will fill in other areas. I don't know, but I'd rather have Adam Carolla in the AM....not like I listen to Morning shows anyway since the Hillman is out of my area. I miss 107.3 WAAF Boston...now that's a FM rock radio station!!!

"Infinity's FREE FM station, which will replace KROCK radio in NY, will feature an eclectic mix of personalities, whose distinct creativity, perspective, sense of humor, intellect and unpredictability do not fall under the guiding principals of any particular narrowcast theme or ideology," said Joel Hollander, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Infinity. "An entertaining hybrid of provocative, political, pop culture, news, music and lifestyle formats, our next generation of FM stations will be personified by their conviction, passion, originality, fearlessness and innovation which is not heard anywhere else on the radio."

Aw crap. Great. Just as they seemed to at least start playing some decent stuff, they go off and change the format. I'll stick to my CDs and internet radio thanks.

This Sucks major a$$. I'm not a stern fan, but nobody plays music like K-rock. I guess I'll be listening to the XM a lot more now. Ever since 102.7 Switched to talk, and then the crap they play now, K-Rock has been by far the best radio station around.

In the article I was reading today about David Lee Roth taking over for Stern, he is pictured in front of an OLM bus, with the caption saying he is an EMT, but the first line of the article calls him a paramedic. Unbelieveable. That always happens in the papers.

K-rock, LIR...all good stations...GONE...

What about Q 104.3. Don't you Old guys( :D:D ) listen to that kind of rock stuff. I'm sorry for you guys but i listen to what you guys call computer music A.K.A 103.5 K.T.U.

Ahhhh the only 2 I ever really enjoyed are and have been gone a while--- 103.5 when it was Country and 101.1 Oldies!

I was kind of pissed when i heard this today....and then i got over it, quickly lol! K-Rock has not been a "rock" station in a long, long time! They have been getting worse and worse over time. I hear the same songs every day and it kills me. Plus all the damn dj's waste too much time BSing, rather than playing music!

Thank god for my girlfriend buying me XM awhile back, best present i've gotten in a long time! It may cost a few bucks a month, but definately worth it, no matter what kind of music you're into. I have a ton of CD's in my car that i listen to, but the XM comes in handy when you want some variety. XM has decades (40's - 90's), news, sports, popular/todays music, country, rock, "urban" ( :D ), you name it!

only other station close to that music format is92.7/96.9 wrrv,unfortunately anything south of mahopac and you are out of luck

When Philly lost it's last rock station earlier this year, they said New York was next.

Bring me back to '93 when there was 92.3, X107, 104.3, 92.7, 95.5........

Next is the brewing war between the record labels and Apple over cost per song to download. That should kill that buisness.

if you want a rock station check out WCCC in Hartford, CT. It's 106.9 FM or check them out on the web at www.wccc.com. Really good music, rock to heavy.

Izzy

Listened to it since I was a kid, the new format is okay the newer one will suck. XM radio is a hundred times better anyway.

As Seth and Art mentioned... satellite seems to be the "wave of the future"...

What worries me is that kids who are at the age where they start to really get into music won't have any "alternative" station to listen to. I'm not saying that they must listen to alternative rock, but I think its important to be able to hear everything thats out there and then make your choice.

See you on Sirius.

Im sure internet radio is just as accessible as well as cable stations like Fuse and MTV2 etc...

why cant z100 and PLJ go away? i don't want to hear the dumb prank phone calls and the 30 year guy who acts like a 13 year old. i want rock. all kinds of rock. hard rock, 80's rock, classic rock. stop the teeny bopper crap.

yo, yo, yo, yo, fitty and hot 97 must gett better ratings cause there is a new rap station every year it seems. Damn corporate BS...k-rock was just getting good again.

LONG LIVE X107!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, I like my xm radio better than fm anyway!

belive me xm radio is a lot better then fm their knothing on fm like the old days xm radio plays everything and sound better then fm

What about PDH out of Poughkeepsie on 101.5 and now simulcasting on 106.3 for Westchester who cannot receive it at 101.5?

Also I95 out of Danbury/Brookfield on 95.1?

WPDH is great for classic rock, as is Q104, but nobody plays the alternative rock like K-Rock

Long Live XM

97.9 rules!

This sucks!

There is nothing left to listen to. All I hear is the same s*** every hour on Z100, K104 and K-Rock. If you ask me, I prefer the sound of my breathing over the radio anymore. Anyone ever flip between K104 and Z100, and it is the same playlist??? Drives me nuts. Time to invest in XM.

if you were closer to dutchess you could get 96.9, thats a great rock station!

As Seth and Art mentioned... satellite seems to be the "wave of the future"...

What worries me is that kids who are at the age where they start to really get into music won't have any "alternative" station to listen to.  I'm not saying that they must listen to alternative rock, but I think its important to be able to hear everything thats out there and then make your choice.

See you on Sirius.

Thats not a big worry there are many bands out there for years who never got any airplay and have become very big. plus there are so many internet radio sites KNAC.com is really goodand if you search in media palyer there are tons.

95.1 aka I-95 has not changed there format in several years, just rock and they play a good variety, nothing really heavy though. WPLR in New Haven used to be really good but they play the same rotation Led Zep, the Stones ect. over and over again and have been doing so for quite some time. WCCC 106.9 in hartford is aa sure bet. Plus too I can pick these three up when I'm heading up RT 28 into the Catskills but I start to lose it near Olivia. There was another rock station down in Stamford but I can't pick it up where I am, but I can pick up K-Rock in New Haven County though scraty. Radio hasn;t been the same in 10 years. XM or Sirius seems the way to go now.

A topic near and dear.

No loss with KROCK. Their programming is terrible. How many times do you need to hear the same awful Nickelback song. At least with the Top 40 stations they get rid of the songs quickly. On KROCK the same crap song will linger for months on end.

The two local radio stations I listen to are 107.1 The Peak and 90.7 WFUV (Fordham University - they have an Irish show on Sundays 12 - 4 I've listened to forever). College stations are still good. There are a few in Connecticut you can listen to in No. Westchester anyway.

I've had Sirius over a year and love it. Bought a new car in June that had XM and did the three month free trial but I liked Sirius MUCH better so didn't renew my XM subscription. So now I have a factory installed XM radio which is useless.

www.accuradio.com has my favorite online station. keep it on in the background at work.

I think Infinity (Owner of K-Rock and WCBS FM) is hoping people looking for rock will move down the dial to 101.1. The ratings for the new "Jack" format are about half of what they were when WCBS was playing oldies.

http://www.purevolume.com/

This is not exactly an online "radio station" per say, but its a great place to find some good music (IMO). You can find alot of local (NY Metro) bands as well as unsigned/up and coming bands. You can search for bands or use browse to listen to random bands. Most bands on here have at least 4 songs to listen to, most with alot more than that.

if you were closer to dutchess you could get 96.9, thats a great rock station!

You're absolutely right! 96.9/92.7 is an excellent station if you are in the Dutchess or northern Putnam area. Give 'em a try!

Also, on a bit softer side is WDST 100.1. They will literally play anything! They are out of Woodstock but come in real well in Dutchess. A little bit like Fordhams FUV but way better.