Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Large Aerial Ladder or Tower?

24 posts in this topic

Does anyone in the area have a ladder truck that can go over the normal 95 or 100 feet? This may include a straight ladder or even a bucket. How about FDNY do they have anything of the sort given the height of many of the buildings?

chris suprised u didnt kno this one verplank has a bronto skylift i beilve it goes 110" or 105 ft bfd can help u out on this one

FDNY Only runs 95 and 75 ft. tower ladders and 100 ft. tillers and rearmounts. I think the used to run a ALF / LTI 100 ft tower (L-14?) and a Sutphen 100 ft. tower (L-119) in the 1980 sometime. Unsure though, I've only saw pictures.

I know Chicago had a E-One 135' straight stick at one time called the high-ladder.

FDNY Only runs 95 and 75 ft. tower ladders and 100 ft. tillers and rearmounts.  I think the used to run a ALF / LTI 100 ft tower (L-14?) and a Sutphen 100 ft. tower (L-119) in the 1980 sometime.  Unsure though, I've only saw pictures.

I know Chicago had a E-One 135' straight stick at one time called the high-ladder.

That is correct FDNY L-14 was a Century Cab LaFrance rear mount 100ft tower. Follow this link to view it.

http://www.nyfd.com/manhattan_ladders/ladder_14.html

FDNY also ran (they may still run up to 4 of them I believe) 110ft Seagrave Rearmounts.

FDNY L-119 used to run a 144ft rear mount Mack Maxim straight stick (also called a "High Ladder") in the 1960's before being replaced by a Mack Arielscope.

Chappaqua L-3 used to be a 106ft Hahn rear mount straight stick. It was recently replaced by a 75ft Sutphen mid mount tower.

In Orange County:

Middletown in runs Pierce rearmount tower ladder for Truck 3. I believe it is 112 feet.

Cronomer Valley runs a 110' Seagrave rearmount straight stick.

West Point runs a 110' E-One rearmount straight stick.

There are several other straight sticks in the 100-110' range including Port Jervis T-827, Cornwall T-402, Walden T-240 and Washingtonville T-579.

FDNY Ladders are only 100' on the RM's and TDA's. 75' and 95' Tower ladders.

The 110' RM's are now all disposed of.

Tl-45 = 95' e-one Tower Ladder in Peekskill

Until a few years ago all of Boston's aerials were 110 ft. rear mount sticks (E-One). Bronto lists many lengths, up to 241" ( *%^& That!!). I think the "Big Unit" out in Phoenix was a 114 or 119' Bronto. I know there are many 114' Bronto's out there. Evidentally Smeal is offering a 125' rear mount, Maybe St. Loius has ordered a few?

Ossining L41 - 2003 KME 105' rear mount & L42 - 1990 E1 110' rear mount

As for Verplanck's E-One/Bronto Sky-lift, their website states that it has a vertical reach of 100' and a horizontal reach of 88'. I could have sworn it was more than that, i guess i was wrong.

The cool feature about the Bronto (imo), is its feature where it can reach approximately 20' below grade with the bucket elevated.

http://www.verplanckfd.com/index.php

Edited by BFD1054

City of White Plains Ladder 32 is a 105' RM stick

Edited by JN352

Isn't Village of Mamaroneck Ladder 20 (Sutphen Tiller) a 105'?

Also, kiind of off topic, since I don't think there are any nearby...

Metz Fire Apparatus (www.metz-apparatus.com) makes a 175 ft. Aerial Ladder!!!

I believe these have only been sold overseas, so who knows if they are anywhere near NFPA compliant. But-- can you imagine trying to get a scared person to climb down that thing with you? It would take forever!

Edited by 242steve

Isn't Village of Mamaroneck Ladder 20 (Sutphen Tiller) a 105'?

Also, kiind of off topic, since I don't think there are any nearby...

Metz Fire Apparatus (www.metz-apparatus.com) makes a 175 ft. Aerial Ladder!!!

I believe these have only been sold overseas, so who knows if they are anywhere near NFPA compliant.  But-- can you imagine trying to get a scared person to climb down that thing with you?  It would take forever!

That is almost double the length of normal ladders, I hear ya on that one, I had a hell of a time getting a vic down 1 flight of stairs never mind 175' of aerial. Here is the link to an aerial metz made it was 203 feet! They look like a formidable company, wonder why not too many places around seem to have these versatile ladders? Something must be wrong with em ;)

http://www.metz-apparatus.com/about.html

Edited by cas2383

Yeah I was looking at what metz has to offer. They have some pretty innovative features, like a 4 ton lift capacity on their aerials, a bucket that folds down on top of the roof of the cab, and the > -20 degree vertical. I don't know why more departments don't look into them.

Just take a look here: http://www.metz-apparatus.com/features.html

edit: The only thing I can think of is that they aren't NFPA compliant with the required amount of ground ladders.

Edited by GoshenFD

If I'm not mistaking, Spring Valley in Rockland County has a Metz. I am not 100% sure on the length. Our TL44 is a 100' Tower, but when you add the one Truck Lieutenant "Stretch" to the bucket, it's a 110'.

Couldn't resist....

Clostest Metz are Spring Valley Hook & Ladder's and Avon, CT that I know of

The November/December 1999 issue of FAJ has a photo of a 172' Bronto Skylift on a 10 wheel drive chassis at the Stuttgart Airport in Germany.

I know that Calgary has a Bronto in the 150' range on a 8 wheel E-One chassis.

When I lived in Washington DC, they had a 135' straight stick (L10), which is the biggest I've seen in the states.

Picture of Spring Valley's Metz (17-Tower) at this years Ossining Parade.

Edited by ONLOCATION

Middletown also runs a TDA that is either 100' or 110', depending on source believed.

Tallman (Rockland County) has a Pierce tower that says 120 on the bucket. Not sure if that's accurate, or if it's a play on their Rockland County department number, 20.

I believe Spring Valley's Metz tower is 100', but you'd never guess it looking at it.

Stamford truck 4(reserve unit) is a 106' Mack RSI(?) RM stick, and just ordered 109' RM HME to be used as truck 1.

Edited by mstrang1

Fort Worth has a E-One 135' aerial, and South Padre Island, Texas has a 174' Pierce Arrow Bronto-Skylift. :(:blink:

Chicago still has their E-One 135', but it's soon to be replaced by a Pierce 105' tower.

Tarrytown Truck 37 is a 110' E-One Rear-mount and Irvington's Ladder 36 105' Spartan/Smeal Rear-Mount

White Plains runs one 105 ft ladder truck, one 75 ft quint, one 85 ft rearmount tower ladder and a spare 100 ft ladder truck all the trucks mentioned are rearmount ladder trucks. We used to have tillers and a mid platform tower ladder many years ago.

Peekskill used to run a 1989 Pierce 105' rearmount straight stick now they run a 2002 E-one 95' TL :D

Edited by ejaTL45