Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Knox Boxes

18 posts in this topic

Just curious: What depts or towns in the EMTBravo area use or require the knox box system? If used do all rigs have access to the key (their own key) or is it kept on specific vehicles? Also how is the key released by radio or some other means?

Edited by cas2383

Stamford Fire Rescue has had an active Knox Box program since the late 80's. We have over 200 in service throughout the downtown and Springdale districts. There are also several more in the Big Five response districts (Glenbrook, Belltown, Turn of River, and Long Ridge).

Our policy is to have three sets of keys in each box. One for the first arriving engine, one for the first arriving truck, and the third for the IC. At some locations this involves many keys so we specify only the larger 4400 series for new installations. As we do our building surveys through the year we try to get occupanies with the smaller boxes to upgrade to the larger ones. When there are too many keys in a smaller box they are very difficult to lock up.

The keys are kept in all apparatus in a key vault that is unlocked via radio encoding activated by Fire Dispatch. At no times are the keys permitted to be just "hung up" in any SFRD rig. If you monitor the SFRD (800 mHz Trunked) or Big Five companies (154.13 mHz) the signal for a Knox Box activation is a "Signal 20". When the key is secured in the vault the CO would report that the "Signal 20 is secure" via radio.

We don't require Knox Boxes by city ordinance but the fire marshal's office strongly recommends them during the plan review stages of a new occupancy. In older occupancies the company officer will try to "sell" the system to property owners.

Be Safe and Happy New Year!!!

SFRD49

Purchase FD has had a knox-box system for over ten years. All the corporate buildings on Westchester Ave have them. Other buildings in the district are also equipped with it too. E-240, TL-53, R-30, 2411, 2412 have the key to the boxes. The system works great for us over the years.

Edited by JBJ1202

I know that Bedford uses the knox box program, and i believe Bedford Hills does as well

Bethel Ct uses the Knox/radio system. Each of the 4 engines carry a vault with the key . Each is tone activated, each Engine has it's own tone.. The Firemarshals office stipulates all new businesses with alarms have a knox box. there is a town ordinance for fire alrams [fines etc] and i think it supports the FM request.

The only problem I have really seen ovder the years have been that the owners do not update the keys in the box when changing locks or the tenants change.

Edited by CHIEFPHIL

Brewster fire department in putnam has this also..it is activated by putnam 911..

Torrington,CT uses this system, it is very handy with buissness. All trucks have access to the keys.

Pleasantville started to use the knox box system. We do not require the use of it as of yet (but working on tieing it into the alarm permits in town) The keys are in the chief's car only at this time but also working on putting them in the first due rigs with the radio dispatch. We have about a dozen buildings and one residental. Question... What do other departments do with driveway gates? Do you require homeowners to do if that is the only way into the house?

All 3 Town Of Bedford FD's have it, it is for all commercial buildings in town,tied in with alarm permits,Residentally is not as easy, after a certain amount of false alarms we were working on it but not sure how out come was, in Katonah all 3 chiefs cars have them as well as all apparatus, we also put them on each fire house,so we could get in to them if called for stand by, all 3 districts match if we our mutual aid we can access, all are are releases by county, unique for each piece.

Gates we put in and they have to get permit from town so it is in there but I will find out for you, as you know I was MIA for 2 years so I have not seen the final result on paper.

Edited by ja3kfd

Pleasantville started to use the knox box system.  We do not require the use of it as of yet (but working on tieing it into the alarm permits in town)  The keys are in the chief's car only at this time but also working on putting them in the first due rigs with the radio dispatch.  We have about a dozen buildings and one residental.  Question... What do other departments do with driveway gates?  Do you require homeowners to do if that is the only way into the house?

I know some departments such as Fairfield have a special code (allong the lines of *911) on the keypad to these gates so they can facilitate getting in. Other places such as the colleges in Fairfield (Sacred Heart U and Fairfield U) which have gates are requested to be opened (security does this) by the responding units if need be.

Brewster fire department in putnam has this also..it is activated by putnam 911..

how is it activated by 911? isnt it just a key used to open it?

how is it activated by 911? isnt it just a key used to open it?

The key is released from the holder by a set of radio tones, similar to what activates the minitor pagers. If you ever hear a unit request their key be released, you will then hear a string of tones. This is the tone set to release the key. There is no other way for the key to be released.

We use the knox system in Bogota NJ we made it a town ordinance and gave to places 1 year to comply if not it would be a violation on the next year fire inspection with a fine if not abbated by ordering the knox system and we have to order forms in the office and had to be signed by someone in the office. Then the knox company would advise us as soon as someone order one for our town. As far as the release box on trucks our Ladder 1 has a box and engine 2 has it it works on the main fire channel with a DTMF tone to release the key.

If any one would like a copy of the plan we wrote up to give the town please let me know and I will email you a copy asap as I have it on my PC.

Pleasantville started to use the knox box system.  We do not require the use of it as of yet (but working on tieing it into the alarm permits in town)  The keys are in the chief's car only at this time but also working on putting them in the first due rigs with the radio dispatch.  We have about a dozen buildings and one residental.  Question... What do other departments do with driveway gates?  Do you require homeowners to do if that is the only way into the house?

Unless they want the gate damaged, make them give you the code or have a knox box at the gate with the keys/entry access. When you tell them how much damage it will avoid most people are happy to agree. If it is a keypad access, you can have the code stored in CAD with 60, and access it via landline after dispatch advises you of the special access. They also have knox box key holders wich have punch in pass codes. some departments will use the last 4 of the members ssn. to access the master key. this i think is much easier than the whole tone acctivation. Knox box's are a great thing. they should be pushed at every building inspection/ walk through.

In Dutchess County, Knox box keys are released by radio tones which are sent from County Dispatch if requested.

In my department, the keys are secured in a knox lock in all of our primary attck rigs, ambulances, Dept. Chief and Lts vehicles.

Just curious:  What depts or towns in the EMTBravo area use or require the knox box system?  If used do all rigs have access to the key (their own key) or is it kept on specific vehicles?  Also how is the key released by radio or some other means?

We use KNOX boxes in East Fishkill, a lot of businesses have them as well as schools and public buildings. Also I believe but am not completely sure that all of our engines, ambulances, and cheifs cars have them.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

We use KNOX boxes in East Fishkill, a lot of businesses have them as well as schools and public buildings. Also I believe but am not completely sure that all of our engines, ambulances, and cheifs cars have them.

At LEAST the main attack engines from each company have Knox Boxes, the vast majority, if not all engines, do have them, as our fleet is being upgraded. The district chief has a personal Knox Box key, not attached to an activation box. Also, our ambulances do not have Knox Box keys in them.

Our two engines, truck, and 3 chiefs cars have the knox keys.

Andy