Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to EMTBravo.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of EMTBravo.com by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FDNY Commish Orders Aviation VFD to Cease Operating

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#76 ONLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

POPULAR

Yes EPVFD is still around and active. It covers its own area and is quite useful as the streets are incredibly narrow, many FDNY apparatuses ambulances and engines alike have gotten stuck on the streets.

Now, with regards to Aviation. I agree, they've had a bunch of problems over the years. Do they need a new administration or some oversight? ABSELUTELY!! Personally, I never say a bad word against those who volunteer. If they want to help their community, let them. Ofcourse you need to play by the rules. FDNY needs to once again remember that vollys do exist in NYC (legally) and it needs to play with them...enough of the strong arming! Now, if Aviation is not properly trained or compliant or w/e the Commish is claiming, he needs to take it up w/ w/e agencie(s) certify or allow fire dept's in NYS to exist....it is not the FDNY's job to enforce anything. Both agencies exist to help people, not get into pissing matches. If Aviation wants to restore their image and do their job, they need to make damn sure they do it right. If FDNY wants to look good, they need to focus on their job and figure out a way to co-exist peacefully.

Hold on....lets get a few things straight here. "Joe Samaritan" doesn't get to go start his own fire company because he wants to do good. It doesn't work that way. The City of New York is protected by the FDNY from fire and emergencies. The FDNY is also charged with enforcing fire and building codes. Additionally, FDNY and it's personnel have the ability to enforce and issue summons for a slew of other infractions. Every FDNY apparatus has multiple summons books. Sounds like we're a long way away from "...it's not the FDNY's job to enforce anything".

Aviation VFC is a band of freelancing buffs. They're not needed and they're not helping anyone. One of the FDNY's greatest assets is staffing, assignment of standardized riding positions and response matrix, all of which give us the ability to work efficiently and safely at any fire. We as firemen know what our specific task is and chief officers know who's supposed to be where. It's a highly coordinated effort and the last thing that anyone needs is a rig no one expected taking a hydrant, blocking out trucks and stretching a line that could end up opposite ours. I don't care what their intentions are, their behavior is wrong and they're going to get someone hurt.

As for training, all I've heard is talk of FF1 or Essentials, ect. Those courses do little more than scratch the surface, they're not a bench mark. An FDNY Proby receives about 1,000 hours of intense training before graduating and being assigned to a field unit. After that, he will respond, on average, to anywhere from 600 - 1,500 alarms a year while on duty. Please, tell me how Aviation is going to achieve training on that level.

The Fire Commissioner of NYC has called for them to cease operations. He's the final say on all things fire in New York City, who are they to thumb their nose at that? If they are found to be operating in some claimed official capacity it should be handled in a legal manner.

Edited by M' Ave, 28 January 2012 - 06:11 PM.

Forever Dedicated Never Yielding

There is only 1 Job.

#77 OFFLINE   HFD219

HFD219
  • Members
  • 2,156 posts
  • Joined 28-March 04

• Sector:Fire
  • Role: Past Chief

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

The Fire Commissioner of NYC has called for them to cease operations. He's the final say on all things fire in New York City, who are they to thumb their nose at that?

And so he should as in any other jurisdiction.

#78 OFFLINE   v85

v85
  • Investors
  • 548 posts
  • Joined 04-July 08
  • Name: Vincent C

• Sector:Fire/EMS
  • Role: Unspecified

Donator

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

Anyone who thinks that there is no problem with this department operating needs only to look at the photo page on here.

Their "fire engine" is older than I am, and carries NO HOSE other than a booster reel. Would you want that showing up on your scene?

I think NYPD Highway would have a field day with those rigs.

Member, Warwick Volunteer Ambulance Corps
Certified Public Safety Telecommunicator
Certified New Jersey Emergency Medical Dispatcher

#79 OFFLINE   USAFvet

USAFvet
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 28-January 10

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

How are they even funded? The rigs and all the needed gear is very expensive. Besides, the huge insurance cost, etc,
What FDNY chief would even put them to work? Then again, they are not even authorized to be at the call or fire ground.

#80 OFFLINE   alsfirefighter

alsfirefighter
  • Investors
  • 4,077 posts
  • Joined 03-December 03
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hold on....lets get a few things straight here. "Joe Samaritan" doesn't get to go start his own fire company because he wants to do good. It doesn't work that way. The City of New York is protected by the FDNY from fire and emergencies. The FDNY is also charged with enforcing fire and building codes. Additionally, FDNY and it's personnel have the ability to enforce and issue summons for a slew of other infractions. Every FDNY apparatus has multiple summons books. Sounds like we're a long way away from "...it's not the FDNY's job to enforce anything".

Aviation VFC is a band of freelancing buffs. They're not needed and they're not helping anyone. One of the FDNY's greatest assets is staffing, assignment of standardized riding positions and response matrix, all of which give us the ability to work efficiently and safely at any fire. We as firemen know what our specific task is and chief officers know who's supposed to be where. It's a highly coordinated effort and the last thing that anyone needs is a rig no one expected taking a hydrant, blocking out trucks and stretching a line that could end up opposite ours. I don't care what their intentions are, their behavior is wrong and they're going to get someone hurt.

As for training, all I've heard is talk of FF1 or Essentials, ect. Those courses do little more than scratch the surface, they're not a bench mark. An FDNY Proby receives about 1,000 hours of intense training before graduating and being assigned to a field unit. After that, he will respond, on average, to anywhere from 600 - 1,500 alarms a year while on duty. Please, tell me how Aviation is going to achieve training on that level.

The Fire Commissioner of NYC has called for them to cease operations. He's the final say on all things fire in New York City, who are they to thumb their nose at that? If they are found to be operating in some claimed official capacity it should be handled in a legal manner.

Couldn't agree with your post more. Just to clarify, I for one am not saying that FF 1 is remotely adequate. All I'm saying is, that at the minimum level it complies with OSHA's fire brigade standard. From what I understand it does not meet the haz mat requirement by hours. Do I feel it has enough content...yes...in fact it gives more than what many states follow for their awareness level they give. I doubt they can even provide proof of that.
IN BATTLE YOU NEVER RISE TO THE OCCASSION, YOU REVERT TO THE LEVEL OF YOUR TRAINING. TRAIN HARD, TRAIN OFTEN!!

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.-Winston Churchill

#81 ONLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Couldn't agree with your post more. Just to clarify, I for one am not saying that FF 1 is remotely adequate. All I'm saying is, that at the minimum level it complies with OSHA's fire brigade standard. From what I understand it does not meet the haz mat requirement by hours. Do I feel it has enough content...yes...in fact it gives more than what many states follow for their awareness level they give. I doubt they can even provide proof of that.

To clarify in return; I completely agree with your post as well. I was in no way looking to belittle FF1 or FF2 ect. I took them and a great deal more of the State Curriculum. Well designed and much comprehensive than Essentials was. I used FF1 as an example because all I've read with regard to Aviation's training is, "I've seen them in FF1 before". That's a spot on beginning to fire training, but I wouldn't call a department full of FF1 certificate holders adequate. Really though, from the sound of things, that group would probably have a difficult time showing even that amount of training. I've seen these guys at incidents closing streets and directing traffic near me and I'm no where near the Clason Point area. Any time a guy from this job goes to confront them, they hop in their SUV and drive off. I haven't worked in Soundview or Castle Hill recently, but I'm sure I will and I'll have to inquire about them with the units that are 1st due in that area.

There is only 1 Job.

#82 OFFLINE   alsfirefighter

alsfirefighter
  • Investors
  • 4,077 posts
  • Joined 03-December 03
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

To clarify in return; I completely agree with your post as well. I was in no way looking to belittle FF1 or FF2 ect. I took them and a great deal more of the State Curriculum. Well designed and much comprehensive than Essentials was. I used FF1 as an example because all I've read with regard to Aviation's training is, "I've seen them in FF1 before". That's a spot on beginning to fire training, but I wouldn't call a department full of FF1 certificate holders adequate. Really though, from the sound of things, that group would probably have a difficult time showing even that amount of training. I've seen these guys at incidents closing streets and directing traffic near me and I'm no where near the Clason Point area. Any time a guy from this job goes to confront them, they hop in their SUV and drive off. I haven't worked in Soundview or Castle Hill recently, but I'm sure I will and I'll have to inquire about them with the units that are 1st due in that area.

Like I said..same page brother. Couldn't agree with you more.
IN BATTLE YOU NEVER RISE TO THE OCCASSION, YOU REVERT TO THE LEVEL OF YOUR TRAINING. TRAIN HARD, TRAIN OFTEN!!

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.-Winston Churchill

#83 OFFLINE   velcroMedic1987

velcroMedic1987
  • Investors
  • 293 posts
  • Joined 28-September 06
Donator

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

I can't believe no members of the Aviation Bronx Fire Patrol have come here to defend themselves and their so called department. You know they're members here.

So guys, what's the deal? Are you and FD or JB (just buffs)?

#84 OFFLINE   PEMO3

PEMO3
  • Moderators
  • 671 posts
  • Joined 21-October 04
  • Name: Joe

• Sector:OEM
  • Role: Retired

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just curious where this will leave NYC's other 9 VFDs. I am in no way saying that they are of the same level as Aviation or that they have done anything wrong, just wondering how this will effect the FDNY - VFD relations as things move forward on the legal end of things.
  • Gerritsen Beach VFD, Brooklyn
  • Edgewater Park Volunteer Hose Co #1, Bronx
  • West Hamilton Beach VFD, Queens
  • Broad Channel VFD, Queens
  • Point Breeze VFD, Queens
  • Rockaway Point VFD, Queens
  • Roxbury VFD, Queens
  • Richmond Engine Company, Staten Island
  • Oceanic Hook & Ladder Company, Staten Island

Lt J Ronca, FDNY-EMS Div (Ret)

#85 OFFLINE   ny10570

ny10570
  • Answered Final Alarm
  • 3,111 posts
  • Joined 25-December 04

• Sector:Unspecified

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

This should have no bearing on the other VFDs. This essentially a group of people who decided to start responding and picked up an old discarded dept name. This is would be comparable to the White Plains FD Volunteer company buying an engine and suddenly responding to alarms. Aviation was disbanded. The other 9 VFDs chartered or not, are all operating in the same way they have been for years and this should have no impact. However if Aviation's actions were to directly result in the death or serious injury of a civilian or firefighter this will absolutely bring greater scrutiny upon all of the volunteers and their operations.

#86 OFFLINE   antiquefirelt

antiquefirelt
  • Members
  • 1,491 posts
  • Joined 13-July 05

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

While I understand the whole recognized, trained VFD vs. what it appears Aviation has become, I'd still think the FDNY Commissioner would have grave concerns with any FD responding first due to an area FDNY covers. Unless they're constantly drilling together and a are truly interoperable, I'd think they're really just in the way. Not that a VFD can't operate in a professional manner, but when you're procedures are as exacting as FDNY, having to worry about what's been done before your pretty timely arrival would seem to complicate matters? If I'm a taxpayer paying for the FDNY, I would want FDNY service without someone coming in first and potentially changing the rules of the game...Or are these other VFD's just that good?

#87 ONLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

While I understand the whole recognized, trained VFD vs. what it appears Aviation has become, I'd still think the FDNY Commissioner would have grave concerns with any FD responding first due to an area FDNY covers. Unless they're constantly drilling together and a are truly interoperable, I'd think they're really just in the way. Not that a VFD can't operate in a professional manner, but when you're procedures are as exacting as FDNY, having to worry about what's been done before your pretty timely arrival would seem to complicate matters? If I'm a taxpayer paying for the FDNY, I would want FDNY service without someone coming in first and potentially changing the rules of the game...Or are these other VFD's just that good?

I rarely run into any of these agencies, so my knowledge isn't as in depth as someone who works on Cross-Bay Blvd. or Throggs Neck. Some of these agencies serve private, Co-Op developments, such as Edgewater and Point Breeze. They have equipment that allows them to navigate tight streets. Often, they simply assist the FDNY in getting water to the fire, but what they provide is simply a service to a private community that is very specific in it's needs. As for the two units in Staten Island; Richmond Engine is 1 mile from E165 L85 and E162 L82. Oceanic Hose is half a mile from E 154 and a mile from E166 L86. I'm sure they're not beating any of those companies in unless they happen to have a crew hanging around the firehouse. I don't know how active they REALLY are, but we share a frequency with Staten Island and I occasionally hear the SI Dispatch calling them and they rarely answer. The neighborhoods they serve are very residential and remote. They have a real small town in a big city feel. The volunteer fire service has always been a cornerstone of small town life and the community. I'm sure this keeps it relevant, despite being covered by FDNY units. I have never heard of any real issues between them.

There is only 1 Job.

#88 OFFLINE   gamewell45

gamewell45
  • Members
  • 1,013 posts
  • Joined 03-May 08

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:46 AM

I can't believe no members of the Aviation Bronx Fire Patrol have come here to defend themselves and their so called department. You know they're members here.

So guys, what's the deal? Are you and FD or JB (just buffs)?

Would you stick your hand into a nest of agitated ants?
Fire-Police: First to arrive, last to leave.

#89 ONLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

Would you stick your hand into a nest of agitated ants?

If I had good information to help dispel myth, yes. We really need to remember that we're not dealing with a Fire Department here. We don't really know what we're dealing with. All we know is that there is some guy named Romero who's 28 and calls himself "chief" and says he has 60 active qualified members. There's no firehouse, only an office with a phone number that no one answers. There are a few pieces of apparatus, but no equipment. These are guys who show up at emergency scenes and operate, but don't belong. If you check, I'm sure you won't find that this happens with Edgewater, ect. They have an organization with a command structure of some sort, ect. Aviation does not exist, they had trouble years ago and went out of service permanently. This is a few people who've resurrected a name only.

There is only 1 Job.

#90 OFFLINE   IzzyEng4

IzzyEng4
  • Banned
  • 3,805 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05

• Sector:Unspecified

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

Wasn't this Romeo Toro the same guy who was a former member of Vallhala FD and arrested for stealing equipment? Didn't he take a plea bargain of 3 years probation on a misdemeanor charge?

Edited by IzzyEng4, 31 January 2012 - 09:11 AM.

Joseph J. "Izzy" Navin II - Mashantucket Pequot Fire Department - IAFF Local 4746 & Charters Hose Company No. 4 - Ansonia, CT Fire Department - Renegade Knights Firefigher MC - "REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM ALWAYS!!!"

#91 OFFLINE   firemoose827

firemoose827

Firefighter II

• Moderators
  • 1,496 posts
  • Joined 27-September 05
  • Name: Brian

• Role: Past Chief

Donator

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Fire42resue..they are not being picked on. They are not trained to our standards. At fire or emergencies they are very disrespectfull, and make unprofessional transmissions on the radio. In the past they have blocked fdny rigs at jobs, and they are very unwilling to cooperate with us.

This is unbelievable...

I don't see the need for them,,,,,,
And who iinsures them????
What if they severely injur or kill someone when responding?????
Someone wrote they aren't dispatched ,they use scanners ... I'm not a lawyer but pretty sure that won't go over to well in court !!!!!

I asked the same thing...where do they get insurance to operate?

Let me begin by stating that I know very little about the Aviation VFD and I will have to take the word of those on here who do in regards to their issues. That said and sorry to divert too far away from the topic at hand, but this particular post caught my attention and I would like to respond to it.

I must respectfully disagree with the assesment that training in the volunteer sector is not "sufficient". I know of many VFDs that have excellent training programs, run by experienced, knowledgeable and dedicated training officers and members that produce superb firefighters...and this I know because I am one of those training officers. Blanket statements rarely if ever tell the whole story, in fact the usually do more harm than good. Are there VFDs that provide substandard training? Yes of course there are, and guess what there are career departments guilty of the same offense...and if anyone actually believes volunteers have a monopoly on pencil whipping training reports, who is it that's being naive? So while it may be true in many States that career FFs are required to meet standards which are often more stringent than their volunteer counterparts, (which indeed does usually lead to better trained, but not necessarily more experienced FFs), it does not by any means mean that volunteers are, as a rule, un or insufficiently trained.

Another point on which I hold a different view is that of the place of State training. For me I think State training should supplement in house training, not the other way around. Yes all FFs should go and fill their heads with all the requisite knowledge certification classes offer, but once done it should become the responsibility of the FD and the members themselves to train regularly in house to meet the needs of their community...and that just can't be accomplished at a State level. No State academy or curriculum can tailor training for each jurisdiction, so until such time as there are universal SOP/Gs and such, the bulk of training must happen in house and be built around how your FD operates. State classes taught by certified instructors is a wonderful and necessary tool in producing great FFs, but IMO it is just that a tool, not a crutch or substitute for real world department based training.

Stay Safe

Cogs

I think my statement was respectful, and not a blanket statement either. I directed my opinion directly at the departments who think a drill is standing around a pile of burning debris in someones yard. I directed my opinion at the departments who use drill nights as "Social Hour" than sign the drill sheet. That is training that is not accountable. State fire training is accountable, because you need to take and pass a test now to get your certificates, and the trained, certified instructor(s) have to provide hands-on training which in some cases is assisted by other trained certified state instructors. To me, to have all of those certified, Employed, instructors lie on their paperwork is impossible to do with all of the checks and balances that are out there to monitor fire training.
The fire department drill sheet simply needs to have the date, subject of the drill, other pertinent info, and the signatures of those attended...How does this confirm that the training was administered to the members at they understood this training?

I understand there are dedicated departments out there with commendable training programs and I see yours is one of them, but brother, my statement was not aimed at you. I too am now the captain in charge of the departments training and have just started a training program that far exceeds the one they had before I joined a year ago. I will now have them do quizzes on the subject learned at the last drill before I start the next drill and will place these in their files. I will start to implement a hands-on training performance evaluation sheet that will be filled out by myself or the chief and also placed in their files containing an evaluation of their ability to perform basic firefighting skills such as laddering a building, cutting a vent hole, stretching an attack line, performing a search and other skills.
What I will respectfully disagree with is the fact that whenever someone like me shares their opinions with others, there are people who take it personally and will take my comments and make it seam like I was making baseless insults against any one department. My statement was meant to look at volunteer training habbits "World Wide" and not just in your department, or mine, or the guy next door. I have been in 4 volunteer departments in my 23 years service due to moving frequently to find both jobs and affordable apartments. Of these four, 2 were large departments with over 100 members and a call volume of over 500 calls annually, the other 2 were smaller departments with smaller rosters and even smaller call volumes, so it is safe to say that I have a decent balanced experience level with volunteer habits, training, and egos. I offer my opinion based on these facts, and respect your opinion. I could easily take your comment and label it as a blanket statement in favor of quality training in volunteer departments as well, but, we both have only witnessed a small number of the departments in this world so for now, we should just agree to disagree and respect each others opinions. Again, I respect your opinions and I respect you and your department for taking your training to a higher level, I wish more would. But I stand by my opinion as well, when compared to career firefighter training in NYS, volunteer fire training is no where near being the same. And please remember, I am a volunteer and have never worked for a fire department, I wanted to and tried 3 times to get hired at 2 departments but failed to meet the residency requirement, but my opinions are still in favor of career training standards and I feel that it should be the same state wide. Every person in this state that wants to enter IDLH atmospheres and put themselves in dangerous environments should have the same level of training, regardless if you get paid or not.
Question for you though, How does your department handle training records? Do you guys have some sort of testing or hands-on evaluation system in place to determine if your firefighters are competent or do you just have the officers evaluate them at drills? The only reason I ask is because as I stated, I am in the process of starting a system at my department and want to do the homework first, so i make sure it works for us.
Thanks and stay safe.

"Moose"
Firefighter II, 1st Assist. Chief, Carlisle Fire Dept..

Isabella Frances Jones, "My Little Girl", 8/27/06, Love you angel.

Amatuers train until they get it right, professionals train until they cant get it wrong.

#92 OFFLINE   helicopper

helicopper
  • Banned
  • 4,173 posts
  • Joined 13-July 06

• Sector:Emergency Services, Other

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

If I had good information to help dispel myth, yes. We really need to remember that we're not dealing with a Fire Department here. We don't really know what we're dealing with. All we know is that there is some guy named Romero who's 28 and calls himself "chief" and says he has 60 active qualified members. There's no firehouse, only an office with a phone number that no one answers. There are a few pieces of apparatus, but no equipment. These are guys who show up at emergency scenes and operate, but don't belong. If you check, I'm sure you won't find that this happens with Edgewater, ect. They have an organization with a command structure of some sort, ect. Aviation does not exist, they had trouble years ago and went out of service permanently. This is a few people who've resurrected a name only.

He's apparently been promoted to COMMISSIONER according to the CBS News... http://newyork.cbslo...volunteer-unit/
"ALWAYS be aware that there is ALWAYS more to learn than you think you already know."

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." (John F. Kennedy)

"When the time to perform arrives, the time to prepare has passed."

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

#93 OFFLINE   JJB531

JJB531
  • Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 633 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
  • Name: Joe Bucchignano

• Sector:Police
  • Role: Police Officer

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

He's apparently been promoted to COMMISSIONER according to the CBS News... http://newyork.cbslo...volunteer-unit/

If they have legitimate training... Prove it. Present your FF credentials and CFR/EMT certifications. Don't just cry to the news that you're legit and "why's everybody picking on us?" without providing some form of documentation from a legitate training venue indicating they have at least the minimum necessary training.
"I will not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass right over me and through me.  And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.  Only I will remain."  -Frank Herbert, Dune

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." -Thucydides

#94 OFFLINE   flyboy14295

flyboy14295
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 08-October 08

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Aren't commissioners elected or appointed officials overseeing a fire protection district(or city, village, etc)?

These guys are just a bunch of whackers with no life and nothing better to do, except poking a bear with a stick. One day the bear is gonna wake up......

#95 ONLINE   SRS131EMTFF

SRS131EMTFF
  • Investors
  • 2,648 posts
  • Joined 28-January 06
Donator

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Bronx Fire Squad Is Frustrated by City Order

http://www.firehouse...d-by-city-order

The Aviation Volunteer Fire Department's home is a cramped office space on White Plains Road in a working-class section of the southeast Bronx known as Clason Point. Members on night duty sleep in cots or in a camper parked out front. The unit relies on a small second-hand fire truck and two smaller rescue vehicles, including a truck nicknamed Leaks because of its persistent engine issues. There is a small buggy to patrol Orchard Beach in the summertime and a Jet Ski on hand for boating accidents in the East River.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of any affiliations I may or may not possess.

"This is for the ones who stood their ground" Gone but NEVER Forgotten 9/11/01

#96 ONLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Bronx Fire Squad Is Frustrated by City Order

http://www.firehouse...d-by-city-order

Orchard Beach? I didn't realize that as in Clason Point.
  • JBE likes this

There is only 1 Job.

#97 OFFLINE   JBE

JBE

JBE

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04

• Role: Dispatcher

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Reading my mind. Didn't know they were connected. Oh wait, they are by about 10 or so miles of shoreline!! The more I read, the more I don't like what I'm seeing.And, this knucklehead drops the race card. Ponderous, friggin ponderous.

Edited by JBE, 18 February 2012 - 05:59 PM.

Dispatchers. We're First Due EVERYWHERE!!!!

#98 OFFLINE   rayrider

rayrider
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 19-March 06

• Role: Lieutenant

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

If they have legitimate training... Prove it. Present your FF credentials and CFR/EMT certifications. Don't just cry to the news that you're legit and "why's everybody picking on us?" without providing some form of documentation from a legitate training venue indicating they have at least the minimum necessary training.

They have five members that are city firefighters according to the article. I am speechless.

#99 OFFLINE   nycemt728

nycemt728
  • Members
  • 338 posts
  • Joined 05-December 06

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

They have five members that are city firefighters according to the article. I am speechless.

Why? Find it hard to believe that an FDNY member would want to volunteer? Find it hard to believe that an FDNY member still lives in the 5 boroughs and might want to help his own neighborhood. People stick with organizations all the time, even if they are less than functional. All it means they are dedicated, and ofcourse in need of a little help to fix the organizations obvious problems.

#100 OFFLINE   lafd55

lafd55
  • Members
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 06-August 08

• Sector:OEM

Donator

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

I'm sure any FDNY firefighter who did ever belong to Aviation is now far far away from there. Plus, a lot of FDNY guys are volunteers out on the Island...
"Drew"
OEM
Fire/EMS

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 3 user(s)