goon16

Drunk Firefighter Drives Fire Engine To Fire

19 posts in this topic

story courtesy of firehouse.com

New Jersey Fire Truck Driver Charged With DWI

08-10-2006 03:01:39 PM

PAUL PELUSO

Firehouse.Com News

Keyport, N.J.-- An on duty Keyport, N.J. firefighter was charged with DWI Aug. 5 while driving a fire truck, according to Keyport Police Capt. Thomas Mitchell.

Mitchell said Wayne Lawson, 37, drove the fire truck to the scene of a fire at approximately 6 p.m. at the historic Keyport Fishery restaurant. When other firefighters realized Lawson was intoxicated, they told him to leave the scene.

That is when Mitchell said Lawson decided to drive back to the station the way he came -- in the fire truck.

"The other firefighters told him to leave after they recognized his condition," Mitchell said. "They didn't intend for him to leave in the fire truck."

Keyport firefighters contacted the police, who met Lawson at the firehouse and took him back to their station to be processed for a DWI.

Mitchell said the firehouse sustained minor damage when Lawson scraped the door frame while driving to the fire. He said this is the first incident he can remember where a firefighter received a DWI while driving a fire truck.

Firehouse.com will have more information on this story as it becomes available.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...nId=46&id=50648

On behalf of volunteers everywhere, a thank you note should be sent to this clown for setting us back in the eyes of the public who entrust us to protect them.

On behalf of volunteers everywhere, a thank you note should be sent to this clown for setting us back in the eyes of the public who entrust us to protect them.

Is this an all volunteer Dept? Said "on Duty"......paid drivers maybe?

Simply amazing, thats all i can manage to say. What a dumb-a$$.

Volunteer or career, who cares, either way this guy is a total a$$-hole and should be charged to the fullest extent!

This guy obviously had to concern for the publics safety, not to mention the safety of his fellow firefighters.

Glad to see that his own guys had the courage to do the right thing and call the PD to get this guy locked up.

E53LT....well said, yet another black eye for the fire service :rolleyes:

Lets emphasise the fact that his fellow ff's were responsible enough to turn him over to PD. While this may look like sh!t for a while, it will fade away since there isn't much of a story. Had he actually injured someone or done some real damage this would have been a much bigger story.

Volunteer or career, it is an embarrasment to the fire service. While a previous poster had recognized the IC or another member for realizing he was intoxicated and sending him back, the problem remains that he responded in the first place.

Keyport Fire Department

About Keyport Fire Department:

Keyport Fire Department proudly protects 7800 people living in an area of One square miles. We operate out of Six stations that protect a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status.

This summer has been a busy one. Although our in town fire actvity has dropped our FAST Team has responded sevral times, only to be placed into service as interior teams in nneighboring Matawan. Our CFR/AED unit Eagle Hose 22-76 has responded to nearly one hundred calls since December of 2000. This unit has worked in unison with both local BLS, Paramedics and NJ State Police Medevac units. Our recent aquisitions of a a schoolbus and van will enable us to knwo provide canteen services to firefighters, ems or any other agency requiring such a service in the area. Our new First Responder Unit will take over dutines from the larger Seagrave Engine, which enable more drivers and allow us to more quickly repsond to EMS calls. The KFD is always moving ahead. A big thankyou to Chief Larry Stonerock for his hardwork in bettering the department this year.

Department Type: All Volunteer

Edited by pjm1733

SIX stations in one square mile??!! How many calls a year?

Keyport NJ is the location for the annual "Fire Fighter's Fair" (read: Drunkfest) every summer. It's so bad that Class I and II cops from surrounding towns are brought in to keep the peace, since it's usually a pretty "upbeat" affair. (Note: That's not a knock at any particular department; that section of Monmouth [Keyport, Keansburg, and parts of Hazlet] are pretty rough at times...)

As far as KFD, they're just an average, run-of-the-mill volunteer (since that's all we have in Monmouth County) fire department. They don't really have too many calls per year.

Edited by WolfEMT

A couple of thoughts on the Paid / Volunteer aspect of that article......

First of all, I think the phrase "On Duty" applies to all of us while responding to a call, regardless of payroll status. No matter what your opinion about pre-response activities, I think we should all agree that one is on duty while responding to and working at any incident..

Second, finally a news article that just talks about a Firefighter, not a Volunteer or Career Firefighter. Too bad it is a negative story. I have found that the positive stories often don't mention volunterism and the negative stories usually feature the word Volunteer prominantly. I'm glad to see news coverage that calls us what we are, Firefighters.

A couple of thoughts on the Paid / Volunteer aspect of that article......

First of all, I think the phrase "On Duty" applies to all of us while responding to a call, regardless of payroll status. No matter what your opinion about pre-response activities, I think we should all agree that one is on duty while responding to and working at any incident..

Second, finally a news article that just talks about a Firefighter, not a Volunteer or Career Firefighter. Too bad it is a negative story. I have found that the positive stories often don't mention volunterism and the negative stories usually feature the word Volunteer prominantly. I'm glad to see news coverage that calls us what we are, Firefighters.

Good point!

SIX stations in one square mile??!! How many calls a year?

Thats seems like an awful lot of stations for one square mile and a population 7800.

Lets bring the subject a little closer to home. how many departments have a policy that addresses this type of situation. How many stations have beverages in their soda machines that arent soda or for that matter a open tap in the rec rooms. so it is extreamly possible that this could happen a lot closer to home.

What do we do to prevent this??

Should he be taken off the drivers rolls with a DWI or a DUI??

Your village, town or fire district have any regulations concering this matter??

As Emergency responders, we our resoonsable for the safety our community and the people in it. Most importantly, we are responsable for each others safety. With that said, I offer a few thoughts. First, the member who responded intoxicated: He put everyone on the road in danger. Thank God that no inocent people were hurt or killed. Second, the reputation of that dept, and the fire service in general is now being draged through the mud. But worst of all, he put his brother firefighters lives in danger. What the hell was he thinking doing something stupid that could have caused yet another line of duty funeral. We can not controll all of the danger in this job, and it is reality that some of us will die doing this job, but this is a way that LODD can be prevented and it is obvious to me that he has no reguard for the safety of his brothers.

Second, to the fireman who took it upon them selves to recognize the problem and act on it: You Guys have a big set of You Know What!!! Not everyone would have done something about it, but you did and I must say THANK YOU!!! And one more thing, Don't let anyone give you any S*** for what you did. You saw a problem and you did something about it. It is obvious to me that you do care about the safety and well being of the rest of your brother firemen.

And lastly, to the senior officers of the dept: as you are considering what course of action to take concerning this members actions, please remember the fact that inocent people as well as the rest of your firefighters were put in danger by this incident. It is pure luck that we are not attending a funeral. I trust that there will be severe punishment for this members actions.

Lets get back to reality, has anyone of you ever had a drink....in the course of a night( Im not saying drunk) & driven your car? If he was that drunk, an officer should have taken him off the rig. Do we need the PD involved? I am not defending him for driving drunk, I just feel that it could have been handled in a little better way.

Lets get back to reality, has anyone of you ever had a drink....in the course of a night( Im not saying drunk) & driven your car?  If he was that drunk, an officer should have taken him off the rig.  Do we need the PD involved?  I am not defending him for driving drunk, I just feel that it could have been handled in a little better way.

How should the incident been handled? I think what was done was approiate. He put his crew and the public's safety on the line. Who knows if he got away this time would the next time been some kid he hit?

How should the incident been handled? I think what was done was approiate. He put his crew and the public's safety on the line. Who knows if he got away this time would the next time been some kid he hit?

I would agree with the chief on this one. I have never been someone to go out of my way to hurt a fellow firefighter, police officer or emt/paramedic. I have always given a brother who may have messed up a bit the benifet of the doubt.

But I believe this guy crossed the line especially when he got back in the rig and drove back to the house. I wonder what his service record looks like. Many screw ups or is this his first offense? Who knows.