Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers 3 Alarm Fire - May 21st - Firefighter Hurt

17 posts in this topic

My prayers and best wishes go out to YFD Firefighter Ronan for a quick and speedy recovery. According to reports from the JN (below) FF Ronan was removing tools from one of the fire trucks (unknown which truck) when he was hit by a fire rescue truck (unknown if it was R1 or Squad 11). Firefighting is such a dangerous profession and incidents can happen anytime and anyplace. Great job by the YFD in getting this job under control so quickly.

From the LoHud JN Web Site This Morning:

YONKERS - Yonkers firefighter Steven Ronan is in stable condition at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx this morning after suffering a severe leg injury as he helped battle a Caroline Avenue fire last night.

Ronan was hit by a fire rescue truck as he removed tools from a fire truck three blocks from the blaze. He suffered a severe shin and tibia injury, Yonkers Fire Chief William Fitzpatrick said. "Originally, we thought it was a lot worse," said Chief Fitzpatrick who went to the Bronx hospital with the injured firefighter last night. He said the firefighter suffered no head injuries.

The fire broke out shortly before 7 p.m. Yonkers Deputy Fire Chief John Flynn said the cause of the fire was accidental. It started from a short circuit of an air-conditioning unit on the third floor of 46 Caroline Ave. Assistant Fire Chief Tom Fitzpatrick said 10 to 15 firefighters were injured. Only the firefighter at Jacobi is serious. Firefighters battled the fire for five hours, but it was declared under control after three hours.

Original EMTBravo Post by Oswegowind

Date: 05/21/2009

Time: 1858

Frequency: 484.7125

Units Operating: YFD ENG.S 303, 304, 306, 308, 309, 307, LAD.S 71, 74, 72, BATT. 1 & 2

Weather Conditions:

Description Of Incident: Working Fire 3 Story Wood Frame

Reporters: wind on blackberry

Writer: O-Wind

1858 - numerous 911 calls for house on fire.

1901 - E303 o/s 10-29.

1903 - B1 10-30, 3 story wood frame (all hands)

1904 - 2nd alarm. (309, 307, 72 B2)

1906 - 4 story wood frame, heavy fire 2nd floor & 3rd floor rear.i

1908 - Car 2 spec call E312 to replace E304.

1913 - PD closing area to all traffic.

1924 - 3rd Alarm. (sq11, L75)

1927 - 310 & 70 o fire hq.

1931 - Riverdale Ave closed from Vark to Ludlow, lines stretched across Riverdale.

This post has been edited by Oswegowind: Yesterday, 08:10 PM

The brother that was run over was working 4 Engine, he was by the rig when he was struck by R1 and pinned between both rigs. As a result R1 was impounded pending an investigation.

Thoughts and prayers for inured Fireman and the others invloved.

Any update on the injured FF? Get well soon!

On another note, one thing that caught my attention....

10 to 15 other firefighters were injured? HOW? Help the rest of us learn from this, thanks.

Steve underwent surgery for the second time today. The procedure included repair to the broken bone and skin grafts to close the wound. The surgeon reported that all went as planned but no word is available on the final prognosis. He's expected to remain heavily medicated for some time yet and will require lots of rest to heal.

10 to 15 other firefighters were injured? HOW? Help the rest of us learn from this, thanks.

You would have to ask the ER docs who examined them and placed them off duty, I don't believe they read this site.

You should keep in mind that the conditions at this fire would not normally be encountered by your department so it might be hard to relate- two attached 80 year old (balloon frame) buildings with heavy fire on two floors and in the cockloft on arrival. Traumatic injury to a firefighter immediatley on arrival removing one and one- half companies from the operation, poor water supply in that area, tightly congested streets, pit bulls running loose in the building, etc. The number of Firefighters available to fight this fire, about 70, was probably less than half of what would be used at a similar fire fought by that great department only a mile to the south.

Kee n mind that the firefighters who fought this fire would need to be sure that they were medically and physically able to continue on duty until at least 0800 the following morning, or 1800 the following day, certainly responding to many more alarms and emergencies and possibly respondin to another major fire. If they were too exhausted to do so, or were injured, it would be their obligation to request to be examined by a medical professional who would make the determination whether or not they were able to continue on duty.

I'm actually surprised that the number of injuries wasn't higher, especially considering that several of the firefighters at this fire were actually recently demoted from the rank of Lieutenant and everyone there recently worked a day for free.

I hope you are able to learn from this.

Wow! Does this guy ever respond to a post without being arrogant and condescending?

Tell you one thing we don't have on my job (that great dept to the south as you put it) is firemen running over other firemen.

Get well brother Ronan.

Actually I seem a recall a certain squad rig and ladder running into each other and injuring a dozen or so members quite recently. Its an unfortunate incident on both jobs but it does happen. This post is about the well-being of our brother Steve.

Spirited debate is one thing, disputes are another. Sarcasm and parody are one thing, jabs or snipes at each other are another.

We don't always have to agree - in fact it would be pretty boring if we did. But we do have to at least respect each other's opinions and viewpoints. With that said, enough is enough. If you can't keep this thread on topic without the snipes it will have to be locked and I don't want to do that.

Let this serve as a warning to those who may not be aware of it... You can speak your mind, lobby for your cause, and defend your position all you want but do not call other members out or personally attack another member. If you can not articulate your point without demeaning or belittling someone else, please take your comments elsewhere. Everyone wants to be called a professional regardless of their position/pay status/affiliation so let's actually be professional and mature.

Thanks all!

Well said Chris, disputes can always provide different aspects on topics. My best wishes to the Brother from Yonkers for a full & speedy recovery. A few weeks ago my wife and I took a train to the city whcih allows you to look at things that you just can't see driving a car. I can see whay Yonkers gets so many multi alarm fires based on all of the balloon constructiion and the close proximity of houses while I was on the train. I do not envy you guys at all. Yes most of the river communities I know have these types of neighborhoods but thankfully not as many as Yonkers.

This is a thread about a serious fire in Yonkers, an injured firefighter in Yonkers, and I see a couple of Chief Officers of The City Of Yonkers have taken the time to post some good information here, which I appreciate.

The way I see it, how did this turn into a line of insults and innuendo directed at a Chief Officer from YFD? Are you people kidding me? If anyone has an issue in this Forum with a Chief Officer, they should take it up in private; and not muck up a serious thread. ON TOPIC if you please.

I have to say, to the probie with the tough name; in time, if you advance through your career, and if you are motivated or lucky enough to rise through the ranks, you may come to understand the inner pain and frustration a Chief Officer, or any Officer for that matter, experiences when one of HIS is injured. You may come to understand the frustration of not having been able to prevent something bad from happening. But before that, as a firefighter you will learn the humility to address a Chief Officer properly, if the senior guys do their job and show you. A good cup of steamy hot st*u usually works.

I'm retired now, but bad things happening on the job used to p#ss me off pretty bad. Of course you're not supposed to show it; it's taken as a sign of weakness. I've let it go, and that's probably why I can blog about it now.

All members should cease and desist from casting any of this antiquated vollie/union arguement into the midst of a thread about a Yonkers fire and an injured member. You dishonor the man's sacrifice, and the sorrow being expressed for him.

And if a Chief comes in here and shares good information, you should just be grateful.

One day maybe you too will feel the weight of the bars. Why the h#ell do you think they call them bars? Because they are freaking heavy, that's why. And the more you wear 'em, the longer you wear them, the heavier they become. It's an industrial, real life kinda thing.

It's something you feel when you walk the Colors down on St. Patricks Day. You inhale the cool air, and it all comes flooding back. The truth and experience of an incredible career, the joyful side, the joking around with the men; aside from trying to process the frustration, anger and sorrow that sometimes comes with it.

God Bless YFD, another tough job, more tough luck. Get well soon.

~Captain George Glover (ret)

Eastchester Fire Dept.

Wow Capt. Thats exactly what was needed in this thread. As I said in an earlier post (which was deleted and I dont know why), this thread is about Steve being hurt. It should stay on point.

The past 3 posts by Chris192, xchief2x, and efdcapt115 were excellent, hit the nail on the head, and I tappreciate their posts-thanks guys for bringing a cool, level head to this situation.

Although I don't do this often, I deleted all the posts that turned this thread about a firefighter who was seriously injured into a paid vs. volunteer debate or pesonally attacking each other, (with many comments deleted before they were seen by the general membership). SOME members behavior disgusted me and disgraced this forum, and some who were involved should be ashamed. As I said, read the posts by Chris192, xchief2x, and efdcapt115, and think about what they said before you hit that "Post Reply" button. Treat your fellow members with respect, and IGNORE those who try to bait you!

This discussion shall be reserved for this incident, any other comment that's irrelevant or inflammatory will be not be tolerated, in this thread or any other thread..

The past 3 posts by Chris192, xchief2x, and efdcapt115 were excellent, hit the nail on the head, and I tappreciate their posts-thanks guys for bringing a cool, level head to this situation.

Although I don't do this often, I deleted all the posts that turned this thread about a firefighter who was seriously injured into a paid vs. volunteer debate or pesonally attacking each other, (with many comments deleted before they were seen by the general membership). SOME members behavior disgusted me and disgraced this forum, and some who were involved should be ashamed. As I said, read the posts by Chris192, xchief2x, and efdcapt115, and think about what they said before you hit that "Post Reply" button. Treat your fellow members with respect, and IGNORE those who try to bait you!

This discussion shall be reserved for this incident, any other comment that's irrelevant or inflammatory will be not be tolerated, in this thread or any other thread..

Seth and Chris, my compliments on the way you handled this thread. George, thanks for the heartfelt post. And to the many others who expressed concern for Steve and the other members who were involved in or affected by this incident (paid or volunteer of course, but unfortunately it seems I need to make that crystal clear)- thank you!!

I often use sarcasm to make a point and I will continue to do so. However, I strive to never let it get personal. Although I did get personal this time with one of the members of this forum, I believe it was warranted in light of his post. Hopefully we have all learned a lesson from this, myself included.

As of today he is home from the hospital

The majority of the injuries are rarely serious. Most common injuries we see are shoulder and knee sprains/strains, eye injuries, and lastly burns to the ears, neck, knees and wrists. The majority of members are back quickly, but many of these are potentially serious. With any injury you have to get it taken care of then. Waiting can potentially make proving the cause of debilitating injury harder at times.

The majority of the injuries are rarely serious. Most common injuries we see are shoulder and knee sprains/strains, eye injuries, and lastly burns to the ears, neck, knees and wrists. The majority of members are back quickly, but many of these are potentially serious. With any injury you have to get it taken care of then. Waiting can potentially make proving the cause of debilitating injury harder at times.

Don't forget heat exhaustion, dehydration, and smoke inhalation although you may not be calling them "injuries". Sometimes I think the newspaper makes this sound worse than it is - firefighters becoming dehydrated or suffering from heat exhaustion (not a big surprise in the environment) and being treated either on the scene or at the hospital makes the news as "injured" when in fact they're back to work in a matter of hours.

This is a general comment and not specific to the fire of May 21 as I have no personal knowledge of that incident or injuries [/disclaimer].