Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

New NYS Law- "The Blue Light Bill"

29 posts in this topic

The*** has great legislative news for our members - the Senate and the Assembly have passed the “blue light bill.” The bill was sponsored by Sen. Nick Spano and Assemblywoman Joan Christensen. We are thankful that members of the New York State Legislature recognized the value of this bill, passed it and agreed to send it to the Governor, who will decide whether the bill is signed into law. This bill would authorize police vehicles to display blue lights; a combination of blue and red lights; or a combination of blue, red and/or white lights. The blue light or lights would have to project toward the rear of the police vehicle, and such lights could be displayed when the vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation.

The *** has been pursuing this legislation since the horrific death of one of our own members, ***, in December 2002. *** was completing an accident investigation in a Ford Crown Victoria parked along the shoulder of the *** when an uninvolved sport utility vehicle crashed into the rear of the patrol car. The patrol car burst into flames.Since then, the *** has been working to educate members of the New York State Legislature about studies that have shown that blue lights attract the attention of drivers better than any other color. In this way, blue lights, in combination with the current emergency light configurations, would further enhance the safety of *** and all law enforcement officers.

It appears this is a quote or article from a PBA news letter or such (too many *** for me, lol).

Ok, this will give PD vehicles legal authority to display blue lights. No change to the common practice with some PD agencies lighting schemes.

This is for police vehicles? How does it count for us Firefighters/EMS?

No change in laws for FD/EMS as I read what has been posted on this site. However, in the real world, you may get more people who will yield to you responding to a call, in the mistaken belief you are in an unmarked police car.

County, Tuckahoe, Yonkers...all use front-facing blues..grumpyff is right - if PD uses more blue lights, people may yield more often.

I saw a ConEd "Emergency Response" Tahoe the other day with a flashing blue light on the back right above the arrow stick, is this the same believe and is it legal?

PD in Rockland has been using blue lights for years, rear AND front. The public still does not care. If they don't care about a 45 foot long, 12 foot high tower ladder barreling down the road with 80 lights, 2 sirens and air horns, why the hell would they care about a blue dashlight on a Honda Civic?

I saw a ConEd "Emergency Response" Tahoe the other day with a flashing blue light on the back right above the arrow stick, is this the same believe and is it legal?

are you sure it wasn't green?

Sounds like EVERYBODY makes out. Also Some Ossining (Village), New Castle, North Castle, and Hastings PD's display front blue Warning lights.

I can only agree. Here in CT alll of our PD's run blue/red lights all the way around. Another thing that I noticed is the addition of amber wig-wag in the rear of the light bar, this is a very effective addition to the bar

studies that have shown that blue lights attract the attention of drivers better than any other color. In this way, blue lights, in combination with the current emergency light configurations, would further enhance the safety of *** and all law enforcement officers.

I don't care what you add to these cars people are still gonna slam into them. People crash into scenes durring the day, covered in fire apparatus, whatever. People see flashing lights and they lose their minds. The only lighting sceme shown to reduce accidents is all amber. People associate amber with construction areas and aren't interested by it.

I had read someplace in the past month and confirmed it, that NJ had just changed its Blue Light laws for their Firefighters.

They are now ALLOWED to:

- Proceed through ( WITH CAUTION) steady RED lights / intersections

- Stops signs, with caution as well

- Have the right of way to other motorists. (all other civilian traffic MUST yeild)

How many light years behind do you think NYS will be ?????

I think the real question is how long before someone in NJ ruins it for every one else, by blowing a red light or a stop sign causing an accident.

Presently, the laws (NYS) only address what is facing toward the front. I believe that the legal definition of display refers to being visible from the front of the vehicle. I find several parts of this debate interesting:

First, if visibility was a factor, then why is the fire service adding yellow lights to most of its's apparatus? Yellow is known to "deter" accidents and is commonly used for fog lighting and visibility. Is this information confidential or do the other emergency services just choose not to heed it? Hmmm, let's look at the down side. Yellow is not a "cool" color, and does not allow for the patriotic red/white/blue ensemble. And it makes your "official" vehicle look like a common utility or tow truck.

Secondly, the present laws are not enforced. It wasn't that long ago, that I can recall various state/county cronies pushing the fire service to get the blue lights off of our apparatus. Legally, any vehicle that is entitled to a red light or combination of red/white lights is NOT entitled to a blue light. Other than state police vehicles, how many local or county jurisdictions obey what already exists? The blue light laws get revisited every few years or so and with predictability the politicians who bring forward the changes come from those areas not serviced by (or have disdain for) volunteer firefighters. I have no quarrel with our brothers in "blue", but how come there is never a push for the usage of EMS's green light? (See patriotic ensemble argument above.)

Lastly, the blue light is a courtesy light; at least in NY anyway. The public does not have to yield to you, if they so choose. Try visiting parts of Ohio where almost every vollie has a full light bar and HAS the right-of-way.

When we start talking about "standing down" this year, and rightly so, traffic issues are at the fore-front, maybe it's time we revisit what constitutes true emergencies and what actually necessitates a "lights" and/or siren" approach. And that includes the response to the station or to the scene with a personal vehicle. Too often the brain gets removed when the pager goes off. The bottom line is the color of the light is not going to make up for the other collective safe practices.

This whole topic of PD agencies using blue lights has been thrown around for quite some time now. To be honest, i'm glad that they are finally trying to pass it into legislation. As stated, i'm not sure how much impact blue lights will have on PD cars in regards to being more visable and helping to avoid accidents. I truly hope that they do, but who knows? Blue lights have been proven to be highly visable and anyone who has seem them will agree. So if PD's wanna put blue lights on their patrol vehicles, so be it. If its gonna help, even in the smallest bit, to avoid PD involved accidents, i'm all for it. I have many friends and family members who are PD m.o.s. and i'm all for keeping them as safe as possible!

CPFD posted the new blue light law for NJ. All i can say is WOW! Personally, i do not believe its a good idea AT ALL! It just has disaster written all over it! I mean look around this county at all the wackers out there with 20 blue lights on their cars who drive like maniacs as it is! Could you imagine if this NJ law came into affect for NY? I mean, lets face it, we all let our adrenaline get the best of us from time to time (myself included), so its probably best that NY keep their current blue light law how it is now.

and does not allow for the patriotic red/white/blue ensemble.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand where you get that from. Maybe personal experience? I sure as heck have never heard that given as a reason for pairing blue lights with red and white lights. Granted, post 9/11 many depts are putting flags and murals on their apparatus, but I've seriously never encountered anything related to a "patriotic ensemble" when referring to the lights. :blink:

As far as the NJ law, on the surface it seems to introduce confusion. Are vehicles with blue lights now "authorized emergency vehicles" if the public must yield to them and they have right of way priveledges? If so, then they should be required to sound audible devices in combination with the lights. Running silent with lights really isn't the best idea. I think the public is conditioned to expect a siren or horn in addition to the lights if they are to yield. Then again, we could argue forever about the often ignorant or indifferent attitude of the public with regard to all this.

Edited by res6cue

Prior to the bicentennial in 1976, there never was a push for police agencies to have blue lights on their units. When the light bars started to be changed over for that event, there was no going back.

I think the real question is how long before someone in NJ ruins it for every one else, by blowing a red light or a stop sign causing an accident.

I've seen various types of Emergency Vehicle literally blow through intersectons with NO due regard for the other vehicles. Which, had they struck another vehicle and a good lawyer got eyewitness reports.... they'd be sued. So it doesn't matter if your a Chief or FF it all comes down to training and experienced driving.

I HOPE that prior to a state introducing a law like this, they would also make it mandatory for the first responders to go through a EVOC course and acknowledge the possible legal actions should an AA occur.

We all know that there is a huge decline in the volunteerism and more so during normal business hours. Which could probably be the big push for NJ to enact this.

I think there could be some resistance from Fire Districts and their underwriters across New York due to added liability. Instead of having 6 possibile liabilites enroute to a MVA (3 Chiefs 1 Eng 1 Res and 1 Amb) to a call you now have 21 from responding FF's.

We can beat this dead horse to dust....what it boils down to is that if you want to make sure you get to the scene of the incident and get the first line or hurst tool out, live in the firehouse 24/7. Other wise when you use your blue light realize that it is just a "COURTESY LIGHT", no more than 50w and must be visible for 360 degrees according to NYS V&T Law.. It doesn't give anyone the right to do Mach 3 or disobey any traffic laws. Once in a great while you'll find someone attentive and will slow down to allow you to pass by. Other than that when you plug in the dash light or light up that christmas tree on top of your trucks, be prepared to curse and clench the steering wheel cause the person in front of you is bee bopping to some good tunes and doesn't see you.........

The bottom line is this: allowing police vehicles in NY to display blue light will reduce volunteer firefighter response times. I have noticed more willingness of motorists to yield now that they see blue on a PD car. As far as those who abuse the privilege of using blue lights, that ultimately is for their Chiefs to revoke the privilege. For those that believe that "emergency vehicle status" on Honda Civics might be a recipe for disaster, it is possible. However I would prefer that the other 99% of firefighters who are reasonable and responsible persons be allowed to respond in the least amount of time. Requiring civilians to yield to vollys using blue lights will reduce response time. What will prevent or minimise the risk of accidents lights or no is obeying the principles learned in your high school driver's education classes. Back to response time, we've all searched for the answer to reduce volly response time, here it is. Take advantage of it and drive with due caution.

I had read someplace in the past month and confirmed it, that NJ had just changed its Blue Light laws for their Firefighters.

They are now ALLOWED to:

- Proceed through ( WITH CAUTION)  steady RED  lights / intersections

- Have the right of way to other motorists. (all other civilian traffic MUST yeild)

Bad idea now you have mutiple cars responding, blowing lights its hard enough with rigs that have radios that during their responce will cross each others responce route at varrious intersections now you have blue lighted POVs blowing lights? we have seen rigs hit each other.. in my dept our units radio when they are approaching the intersections that they know the other responding apparatus will pass to prevent a accident, these law if changed will now have mutiple units responding from varrious dirrections..

i know port chester pd has blue lights in there lightbars and back window strobes

They are now ALLOWED to:

I hope we stay behind to be honest. What a dangerous law.

First off, let me appologize in advance for the rant I'm going to make. Who cares that the PD's in NY can now legally use blue lights. It's going to have no effect on vol ff's. Many other states have PD's using red/blue with no effect on the vol ff's. I feel that this forum was designed to share ideas & experiences with other ff's, ems workers, & police officers. This should be a dead issue by now so stop beating the horse. Second, stop the whining about how Vermont ff's can use sirens in their POV's or how New Jersey now supposedly lets vol ff's drive through red lights, stop signs, etc... It's like you're all trying to keep up with the Jones's. Oh look, Jone's now has this so we must have it. Thirdly, if the public won't move out of the way for a 72,000 lb ladder truck going lights & siren, what makes you think they'd move for you in your pov? I'll admit i used to be a whacker. I had the full light bar & lights everywhere. I found that i atractted a lot of attention driving down the street and that people still didn't move out of the way. I use just a dashlight andfound i get to the fire house in the same amount of time. I know some of you aren't going to agree with me but can we put this issue behind us now? There are more important issues that we can be discussing here. That's just my two cents.

They are now ALLOWED to:

Where did you read this? As far as I knew, the only truth there is that we have the right of way to other motorists.. If you can find where you confirmed it, I would appreciate it..

CPFD posted the new blue light law for NJ.  All i can say is WOW!  Personally, i do not believe its a good idea AT ALL!  It just has disaster written all over it!  I mean look around this county at all the wackers out there with 20 blue lights on their cars who drive like maniacs as it is!  Could you imagine if this NJ law came into affect for NY?  I mean, lets face it, we all let our adrenaline get the best of us from time to time (myself included), so its probably best that NY keep their current blue light law how it is now.

If you have a 'wacker out there with 20 blue lights" you have more of a problem then you think. It is up to the Chief Officers of the Department to police this issue. They issue the "Blue Light Authorization Card" and they should be the one to pull it for someone with 20 blue lights on their car.

We are our own worst enemy on this issue. Everyone continues to rant on an on about why police should or should not get the use of blue lights/lenses while we constantly break the existing laws regarding use of colored lights, both on our private vehicles and on Fire Apparatus. No matter how you spin it, blue lights on Fire apparatus are a violation of Article 375 of the VTL.

If you have a 'wacker out there with 20 blue lights" you have more of a problem then you think.  It is up to the Chief Officers of the Department to police this issue.  They issue the "Blue Light Authorization Card" and they should be the one to pull it for someone with 20 blue lights on their car.

We are our own worst enemy on this issue.  Everyone continues to rant on an on about why police should or should not get the use of blue lights/lenses while we constantly break the existing laws regarding use of colored lights, both on our private vehicles and on Fire Apparatus.  No matter how you spin it, blue lights on Fire apparatus are a violation of Article 375 of the VTL.

I know of no one that would issue a UTT for it though....

If you have a 'wacker out there with 20 blue lights" you have more of a problem then you think.  It is up to the Chief Officers of the Department to police this issue.  They issue the "Blue Light Authorization Card" and they should be the one to pull it for someone with 20 blue lights on their car.

We are our own worst enemy on this issue.  Everyone continues to rant on an on about why police should or should not get the use of blue lights/lenses while we constantly break the existing laws regarding use of colored lights, both on our private vehicles and on Fire Apparatus.  No matter how you spin it, blue lights on Fire apparatus are a violation of Article 375 of the VTL.

Our dept doesn't issue BLue Light cards. In fac tI have no id from my current department. I do however have a BAC from my former department.

Most the time I don't use it anyway. Maybe if I'm parked up on the road at a scene ...

Ok, I have both a blue light and a green light. I also have a rear facing light in the window. I only use my green light if Im going to a REAL emergency such as a cardiac call, resp. distress, and so on. As for my blue light, it is rarely used. Lets face it the majority of the fire calls we get have no reason for me to be screaming down the road with forty five blue lights on my car like I'm Captain F*n America like some jollys do. Very few Fire calls we get are REAL emergencies. Most are false alarms or minor incidents. Now don't get me wrong If I hear a confirmed structure fire or a MVA with entraptment come over my pager I can safely say that its an actual emergency. Unless its a confirmed major incident I don't need the light. Plus there are plenty of people who are usually closer than I am anyway. I know the hobbiests want to be on the nozzle and all but its not worth killing somebody over responding to the scene. Some people get so caught up in it there is no way to make them realize what they are actually doing. Having firefighting as a hobby will always be the number one reason why we can't have a blue light rule like Jersey. "buffs" ruin it for everyone else who just want to help. As long as there is some glory and exitement there will always be volunteers responding with there own personal light show. As for the 94 year old grandmother who fell while home alone... well she can just stand by.

Edited by paratrooper75

Not too long ago we had a certain Mayor order the parking authority to change its warning lights(on the roof) to blue. He thought the public would perceive that their were more Police Officers on the road. We ( the Union) advised them they were in violation of the law. It went ignored. Several tickets later they went back to the old color scheme. ALL emergency vehicles have the right of way while responding to a call. However that does not entitle them to operate recklessly. When I was in patrol and responded to MVA's involving the FD and cars if the AI deemed the FD to be at fault he was issued a summons. Nothing personal just business. The idea is to arrive safely in order to render assistance and you cannot do that if you crash into some poor shmuck that panics when the red menace is barreling down on them. If you stop or slow down safely enough to navigate through an intersection and someone drive's into the side of you thats a different story. MVA's are not too difficult to figure out whom is at fault. I understand everyone wants to get their and help but don't put yourself in a position where your going to be sitting in the hot seat five years from now explaining your actions to a jury. I have seen friends go though it and I wouldn't wish it my worst enemy.

Rick