Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blue lights approved for law enforcement vehicles

33 posts in this topic

Blue lights approved for law enforcement vehicles

(Albany, N.Y. -AP, June 20, 2006) -

Expect to see some blue when law enforcement vehicles zoom past with their lights flashing.

Earlier this month, Governor Pataki signed legislation authorizing law enforcement agencies to install blue lights on the rear half of the light bars on patrol vehicles. Most police vehicles in New York state have used red and amber lights.

The addition of blue lights, long sought by the New York State Sheriffs Association, is intended to make flashing police lights easier to see. The group says studies have determined blue lights are more visible than the traditional red and amber.

The legislation allowing the use of blue lights was also supported by the state Association of Chiefs of Police. But the organization had been pushing for converting fully to blue lights, and may still continue to do so.

A state police official in Albany tells the Schenectady Daily Gazette that the agency is evaluating a conversion to blue lights on trooper vehicles.

I think this is a step in the right direction. I still see no reason why PD cars here in NY should not be allowed to have blue facing toward the front. In my own opinion all emergency vehicles should be able to run a combination of blue, red and white lights. Maybe this will happen down the line.

Some people in CSP have wanted to go back to all blue again, but currently the state is sticking with the red / blue combination since people are used to it.

If any of you have ever traveled to the rest of the New England states, you have encountered a police officer asking you to cover your lights. I hope that NY addresses this issue if the troopers go to all blue since all vollies run blue too. Hopefully the NYSP will run the same combo as CT, they area aeasier to pick out than one color.

A little off topic, but who governs what kind of lights emergency boats use, Ive seen PD with just blue lights here in CT and Even some Fire boats with blue lights as well; and some with red ones too, any input ?

I see that the Westchester County Police have them already.

but FireEngineRed in my Favor color.

FF/EMT. 4-life (4-Squaremiles,NY)

A little off topic, but who governs what kind of lights emergency boats use, Ive seen PD with just blue lights here in CT and Even some Fire boats with blue lights as well; and some with red ones too, any input ?

The last two towns in CT to have all blue were Hamden and Derby but they have converted over to the red and blue combination bars within the past 3 years.

Boats usually use blue for enforcement / rescue warning lights since red is a marker light on boats ans shipping lanes. I beleive (correct me sailors) red is the starboard marker correct? I think that blue lights for boats is set by the USCG.

Boats usually use blue for enforcement / rescue warning lights since red is a marker light on boats ans shipping lanes.  I beleive (correct me sailors) red is the starboard marker correct?  I think that blue lights for boats is set by the USCG.

Red is port, green is starboard.

A little off the topic but...

ON THE WATER

(Emergency Warning Lights)

-Blue = Law Enforcement & US Coast Guard

-Red = Fire / Rescue

-Red/Amber = Sea Tow & US Coast Guard Auxiliary

The Red/Green lights on the front of boats used as markers.

As stated... Port & Starboard sides (i.e. Left and Right)

White marker light is the rear of the boat.

I've observed Fire Boats with BLUE but when I contacted the USCG I was told that on the water BLUE is for LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY or USCG.

NOTE: If you are buzzing up and down the Hudson or Long Island Sound and you see flashing BLUE LIGHTS behind you, prob not your Volunteer Firefighter buddy...haha I'd slow down! :P

Oh no I def have enough sense about that and of couse the port/bow running lights. I was just curious as to what and if there were any designations, thanks for the info. Spend my time on the water out in the sound anyway ;)

Yonkers FD has blue strobes incorporated into their light bars.

Just Saying If Police Finally Get to run RED and Blue facing Front What will happen to Volly's Lights?

Do they have to get rid of them?

Can They still use them?

What color would the use?

The Light bar that I have in my Car Is $450.00 all LED and it would be a waste to have to get rid of it.

Just Saying If Police Finally Get to run RED and Blue facing Front What will happen to Volly's Lights?

Do they have to get rid of them?

Can They still use them?

What color would the use?

The Light bar that I have in my Car Is $450.00 all LED and it would be a waste to have to get rid of it.

To my understanding the police can only dispaly the blue in the rear. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

As to what may happen to volunteers and blue lights? Who knows. I will say this however...we have more important issues on the table than blue lights.

Ok, enough with the "What will happen to the vollies blue lights". I've said it before and I'll say it again. NYS vollies will not lose the right to use blue lights now that the NY PD's can legally use blue. Many states such as CT, the PD's use red/blue and the vollies use only blue. This topic is starting to get old and I think everyone can find a better use for their time then whinning about the PD's using blue now. Thats just my rant and 2 cents :blink:

LED light bars on personal vehicles? why whats the need? why stand out 24/7

i think there needs to be a crack down on this stuff... and what are your deptarments rules reguarding blue lights does every member get them as soon as they get in? any training done about blue lights? are they only for interior FF's? or does like the guy who just got voted in last nite now have one on his car?

LED light bars on personal vehicles? why whats the need? why stand out 24/7

This is not meant to offend anyone here but why spend hundreds of $$$ for something that gets you nothing??? You have the same privliges on the road (none) whether you have a $50 tear drop or a lightbar larger than what's on most fire apparatus.

i think there needs to be a crack down on this stuff... and what are your deptarments rules reguarding blue lights does every member get them as soon as they get in? any training done about blue lights? are they only for interior FF's? or does like the guy who just got voted in last nite now have one on his car?

What training should there be? If you use it, you don't pass cars, don't run read lights, you stop at stop signs and follow all the rules of the road. Pretty straight foward if you ask me. If you abuse the privlage of having a blue light, you lose you blue light card and possibly face charges. Is it worth the "wacker factor"? I don't think so.

It's about time, NY and NJ were about the only two states left that didn't have a blue/red or blue combo for LE lightbars.

As a Federal Agent I am aware that blue/red is stated in legislation that it is for agencies that has multi-state jurisdiction, that is blue-red to the front. NYSP cannot run blue-red to the front and will only run it to the rear...I know that there are agencies in ny especially westchester that run blue-red but technically by federal law that is illegal. Title 18 of the US CODE states that. Also as for areas that start to run all blue, it means that vollies will end up switching to green or no lights at all, the DC area prohibits volunteers from running any type of lights what so ever.

Here is the New York State Blue Light Law as outlined by the Firemans Association of the State of New York

Blue Light Law

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, Article 9 Section 41. Colored and Flashing Lights:

The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law.

1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while return- ing from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

3. Amber lights.

a. One or more amber lights may be affixed to a hazard vehicle, and such a light or lights which display an amber light visible to all approaching traffic under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle shall be displayed on a hazard vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in a hazard- ous operation. Such light or lights shall not be required to be displayed during daylight hours provided at least two red flags visible from a distance of five hundred feet are placed both in or on the front of, and to or on the rear of the vehicle and two such flags are placed to each side of the vehicle open to traffic. Such lights or flags need not be displayed on the vehicle when the vehicle is operating, or parked, within a barricaded work area and said lights or flags are displayed on the barricade. The provisions of this subdivision shall not prohibit the temporary affixing and display of an amber light to be used as a warning on a disabled motor vehicle or on a motor vehicle while it is stopped on a highway while engaged in an operation which would restrict, impede or interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

b. In any city in this state having a population of one million or more, one amber light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned or oper- ated by a volunteer member of a civilian or crime patrol provided such volunteer civilian or crime patrol member has been authorized in writing to so affix an amber light by the police commissioner of the munici- pality in which he patrols, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the police commissioner who issued the same or his successor in office. Such amber light may be operated by such volun- teer civilian or crime patrol member in such a vehicle only when engaged in a patrol operation as defined and authorized by rules and regulations promulgated by the police commissioner and only in such a manner and at such times as may be authorized by the police commissioner pursuant to said rules and regulations.

4. Blue light. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person`s family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed, provided such volunteer fireman has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed by such volunteer fireman on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emer- gency operation.

5. Green light. One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service, or on a motor vehi- cle owned by a member of such person`s family, or by a business enter- prise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed, provided such member has been authorized in writing to so affix a green light by the chief officer of such service as designated by the members thereof. Such green light may be displayed by such member of a volunteer ambulance service only when engaged in an emergency oper- ation. As used in this paragraph volunteer ambulance service means:

a. a non-profit membership corporation (other than a fire corporation) incor- porated under or subject to the provisions of the membership corpo- rations law, or any other law, operating its ambulance or ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members thereof and their families or of the community or under a contract with a county, city, town or village pursuant to section one hundred twenty-two-b of the general municipal law; or

b. an unincorporated association of persons operating its ambulance or ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members and their families or of the community.

6. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate regulations with respect to the affixing and display of colored lights and to promulgate specifications with respect to such lights.

7. The provisions of this subdivision forty-one shall not be applica- ble to vehicles from other states or from the Dominion of Canada which have entered this state to render police, fire or civil defense aid, or ambulance service, while such vehicles are here or are returning to their home stations if the lights on such vehicles comply with the laws of their home states or the Dominion of Canada and are displayed in this state in the same manner permitted by their home states or the Dominion of Canada, nor shall the provisions of this subdivision forty-one be deemed to amend, supersede or in any manner affect the provisions of the New York state defense emergency act as now in force or as it may be amended from time to time.

8. The provisions of this subdivision shall not be applicable to the driver of a vehicle from another state or foreign jurisdiction which vehicle has colored lights affixed but not revolving, rotating, flash- ing, oscillating or constantly moving if the lights on such vehicle comply with the laws of the state or home foreign jurisdiction in which the vehicle is registered.

You can find this article on page 459 of the Fire Service Laws of the State of New York 2005 Edition. You can purchase your copy today by calling the FASNY Office at (800) 2FASNY2 or in the store section of this website under supplies.

http://www.fasny.com/archives/2005/07/except_1.aspx

Here is the New York State Blue Light Law as outlined by the Firemans Association of the State of New York

http://www.fasny.com/archives/2005/07/except_1.aspx

thats what i ment by training giving out a copy of that to the members and just reading through what its all about and tellin how the priverlage can be revoked by the chief or whom ever....

i know some depts just give out the light and the blue light card....

and "One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department"

does that light bar count as only one light?

As a Federal Agent I am aware that blue/red is stated in legislation that it is for agencies that has multi-state jurisdiction, that is blue-red to the front. NYSP cannot run blue-red to the front and will only run it to the rear...I know that there are agencies in ny especially westchester that run blue-red but technically by federal law that is illegal. Title 18 of the US CODE states that.

Can you provide a link to the section of the US Code that states that? I searched through and read all of Title 18 and found nothing. Also searched the rest of the Codes and again, came up with nothing. Thanks.

thats what i ment by training giving out a copy of that to the members and just reading through what its all about and tellin how the priverlage can be revoked by the chief or whom ever....

and "One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department"

No.

As a Federal Agent I am aware that blue/red is stated in legislation that it is for agencies that has multi-state jurisdiction, that is blue-red to the front. NYSP cannot run blue-red to the front and will only run it to the rear...I know that there are agencies in ny especially westchester that run blue-red but technically by federal law that is illegal. Title 18 of the US CODE states that. Also as for areas that start to run all blue, it means that vollies will end up switching to green or no lights at all, the DC area prohibits volunteers from running any type of lights what so ever.

The colors of lightbars would come under state jurisdiction, as do all vehicle and traffic regulations...

Thanks for the port / starboard correction before.

Lights for emergency vehicles and first responders are outlined by the states.

QUOTE(HFD23 @ Jun 26 2006, 08:42 PM)

No.

4. Blue light. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter as provided for in this paragraph.

Unless the VTL was revised, A lightbar could be construed as one blue light as long as there is no speaker or other separation in the middle.

OK, I have a couple of questions here. As many of you know, I'm from Jersey. My town runs on its new police cars front-facing Red/Blue on its lightbars. NJ law is similar to NY law when it states that "one blue light may be affixed to the motor vehicle" of a volunteer fire fighter, and only digresses from NY law when it also includes EMS personnel as being allowed to display blue (as opposed to green in NY). Being that many police departments are now displaying front-facing Red/Blue combinations, in addition to some departments that have had the combination already in use for a year or so, why is everyone getting into such a tither about the speculation that vollies won't be able to display the ONE light that they are allowed to display? (Notice I said "ONE:" I'll get into my two cents about more than one in just a second.) NJ has had such combinations in use for close to two years and there has been no change in the law, and since NJ law is pretty similar to NY law in what it allows and so forth, I honestly do not anticipate seeing any change to NY law as it relates to what colors, if any, volunteer fire and EMS personnel will be able to display. Instead of getting all upset and carrying on saying, "Oh my god, the cops have blue now so that obviously means that we're out of luck now when it comes to lights" worry about any change of law when and if it happens. This thread has gone on long enough.

Now, on to rant number two regarding more than one light and the use of lightbars that look rather hideous on POVs. I have "one single blue light" affixed to the windshield of my POV and it does nothing. Furthermore, I have a lightbar, a siren, and an airhorn on my ambulance and that does nothing, too. The only difference between my vehicle and the ambulance is its application in relation to vehicle and traffic regulations, but if the guy in front of my bus isn't going to yield to my emergency vehicle, then he certainly isn't going to yield to my personal vehicle, either. Why spend all that money on a lightbar only for it not to work and for you to look like a fool?

And finally, no where within the USC nor the CFR does it state anything about what colors are legal on light bars. That is a states rights issue and has been delgated to the legislature of each state since it deals directly with each respective state's vehicle and traffic regulations. I do, however, believe there is a section of either the USC or CFR that deals with FLEO vehicles, but not state or local PD/FD/EMS vehicles.

And it goes ON.......................AND ON.....................................AND ON................

Edited by ONLOCATION

Yup...discuss issues and occurances that kill us or can make you a better firefighter and you get 10 posts.

I will attatch a link to the US CODE site..... in addition the Federal Government standards do not reflect those set by individual states, ie:lights, that is why we run blue-red any where in the country especially NY since that is where we spend alot of time. The federal Law Enforcement are not required to follow state laws since we have juridiction and authority over all the states, so basically we can run blue-red where-ever and when-ever we justify... This issue has been argued by many states but many local communities police departments do not want us using blue-red lights but the bottom line is we have the final say, (ie ny,nj and vt are not fans of LE using the blue-red combo)

I personally feel that one or two blue lights for volunteers is plenty, and they should be happy that ny allows that, many states do not let the volunteers have any lights at all! which is a way is good beacase there are alot of idiots out there that drive like maniacs to fire scenes with there light on and should not have a blue light at all.

Yup...discuss issues and occurances that kill us or can make you a better firefighter and you get 10 posts.

I couldn't agree more