Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edisonfire

Former Firehouse Locations

34 posts in this topic

I ask your assistance. Can anyone post here the locations of any former firehouses that have been vacated, the companies disbanded, the firehouse too small or unsafe etc that remain standing. They can have been converted to other municipal uses, residential or commercial purposes etc. I've been snapping pics of these former houses and their replacements. Thanks in advance. Jim

Edited by edisonfire

Peekskill, NY - The old Centennial Hose Headquarters. Closed in 1980 has been abandoned since that time. Building is scheduled to be moved from its current location across the street due to a NYS DOT bridge & roadway project on Rte 9 over Central Ave. This building was built around 1876.

Building is slated to be be restored to its original state and turned into a fire museum for the City of Peekskill. Volunteers of the Peekskill Fire Department have started raising funds to place a memorial at the refurbished site to honor all emergency responders who died in the line of duty on September 11.

Firehouse is located on the southeast corner of Water St & Central Ave in Peekskill.

Let's hope the government holds to its word and the fire service gains a great new museum in a historic old firehoue.

Port Chester,

former house of e61 and e63 I beleive, it's right on main st. maybe so other people know why it was closed down

Port Chester,

former house of e61 and e63 I beleive, it's right on main st. maybe so other people know why it was closed down

If memory serves me correctly, the building suffered damage to to a land slide of the hill behind the old majestic looking building. When it was closed I can't remember.

Buchanan - Original firehouse was on Bleakley Ave., right off of Albany Post Rd. The building still stands and is approximately 3 buildings up from Albany Post Rd. on the left. The building was occupied by various commercial occupancies, including an auto parts store. I'm not quite sure what it is now, but when you look at it, you can see where the 2 bays were (now replaced by large windows). The Buchanan Engine Co. vacated that building because it was to small and re-located to our current quarters at 3159 Albany Post Rd.

Montrose - Original firehouse is located on Albany Post Rd., accross the street (just north) of their current quarters. This building later became the Hendrick Hudson Free Library until they vacated in the late 1990's. The building still stands and is a commercial occupancy.

Briarcliff Manor has two former firehouses still around. The main firehouse was formerly at 1133 Pleasantville Road and Scarborough Engine company was located in a garage behind the Scarborough Presbyterian Church on Route 9 and Scarborough Road.

Archville still has an old firehouse located on Requa St. just in from Route 9.

The 2 original Firehouses in Valhalla are both on Cleveland street. The first one is right next to the post office,now housing a office equipment company called ESP. The second is on the top of Cleveland street, the last building on the left. It is a small one bay garage,set back off the street. The building next to the post office is not totally original. It ironically burned on a hot summer night in 1999.The night of Thornwood's 100th anniversary parade.

Lake Carmels' old Firehouse Route 52 and Barrett Hill Road.

PCFD Putnam and Mellor were shut down in the early/mid 90's. I want to say 95 or 96.

Edited by JBE

There's a few in Mt. Vernon:

23 S. 6th Ave. - Home for many years to Chemical 1/Engine 4. Later used by Truck 1 until Station III was built in 1977. Building is now privately owned.

S. 3rd Ave. between E. 1st St. and E. 2nd St. - Formerly Engine 6. I remember as a kid the old Ahrens Fox that came out of there. Engine 6 moved to Station I in the early '60's. Building now used by an oil company.

S. Fulton Ave. just north of E. 3rd St - Home to Engine 5 for many years until Station II was built in 1962. Rescue 1 operated from there until 1977 when they moved to Station II.

Other buildings that have been knocked down include:

211 S. 4th Ave. where Engine 3 & Truck 1 operated for many years. Served as fire headquarters.

Truck 3 was located on S. 5th Ave. between W. 5th St. and W. Sandford Blvd. Land is now part of a school playground.

Engine 2 occupied a house on E. Sidney Ave. between Gramatan Ave. & N. 3rd Ave. Lot is now part of a parking structure.

Buchanan - Original firehouse was on Bleakley Ave., right off of Albany Post Rd.  The building still stands and is approximately 3 buildings up from Albany Post Rd. on the left.  The building was occupied by various commercial occupancies, including an auto parts store.  I'm not quite sure what it is now, but when you look at it, you can see where the 2 bays were (now replaced by large windows).  The Buchanan Engine Co. vacated that building because it was to small and re-located to our current quarters at 3159 Albany Post Rd.

Montrose - Original firehouse is located on Albany Post Rd., accross the street (just north) of their current quarters.  This building later became the Hendrick Hudson Free Library until they vacated in the late 1990's.  The building still stands and is a commercial occupancy.

Mike, was that the Buchanan Division 1 HQ or Batt. HQ? tongue.gif

You should reclaim the building for your truck & squad companies! tongue.gif

Edited by EMSCOMM80

Pawling, NY former firehouse right in the middle of town, now houses a DMV office. I wish I had my camera, I was there on Thursday, and with the renovation that is going on, you could see the old lettering above the doors. Pawling FD, moved sometime in the 80's.

Patterson FD had a house off of 311, I want to say Front Street. It's now a garage.

I know of a few in Orange County.

City of Newburgh

-Abandoned 2 bay 3 story fire house, says Chapman Steamer Co. # 2 above the doors. There is a for sale sign on it. Belive it was used up until the 80's. Corner of South St & Dubois St. Just up form St. Lukes Hospital.

-Abandoned 1 bay 3 story fire house. Broadway below Carpenter Ave. not sure of exact loc.

Walden

-Old Station 1, was 3 bay 3 story building, 1 Municipal Sq., 1st floor truck bays have been converted into Village Police Station, 2nd floor mtgs rooms have been combined and converted to village library, 3rd floor has been converted in to village courts.

-Old Station 2, 2 story 1 bay fire house, still utilized by FD for storage and some mtgs. Across from current station 2, Rt. 52 and Wait St.

Goshen

-Old 2 bay 2 story fire house, old home to Cataract Engine & Hose Co. 1. Main St just down from County Court House, across from park. Currently empty and for sale.

-Old 3 bay 2 story fire house, old home to Dikeman Hose Co. 3. On High St. off of Rt. 207. Currently home to Goshen VAC.

Montgomery

-Old 2 bay 2 story fire house, converted in to the recently opened Orange County Fire Fighters Museum. www.ocfm.us. Wallkill Ave. & Clinton St.

Orange Lake

-Old 3 bay 1 story fire house, converted in to day care center. Next to current loc. Rt. 52 & Lakeside Rd. in Newburgh.

Pine Bush

-Old 2 bay 2 story fire house, now utilized by the Pine Bush Area VAC, Center St.

Port Jervis

-Old 2 bay 2 story fire house, housed Engine 1 & Truck 7, Just down ftrom present loc. on Orange St. Right not the PJFD os raising funds to turn into a museum.

Cronomer Valley

-Old 4 bay 1 story fire house, now utilized by a private contractor, and Mobile Life Support Station 3. Rt. 32 next to current loc.

Warwick

-Old 1 bay 1 story fire house, old home of Raymond Engine Co. 2. recently vacated my FD, I belive, it is still in the possesion of the FD, with unknown plans. 7 Howe St. in the village.

In Rockland County

Spring Valley

Rockland Hook & Ladder's building used to be on North Main Street (Rt 45) just south of the railroad tracks and almost across the street from where Spring Valley Hook & Ladder is on West Furman Place. You could easily see across from one firehouse to the other. They vacated it around 6 years ago and moved further north to an old bank just south of Maple Avenue.

user posted image user posted image user posted image

Suffern

Vol Hose's building used to be on Wayne Avenue (Rt 202) just east of the Rt 59/Rt 17 intersection. In 1995 they moved to their new building at the corner of Washington Avenue and Cross Street.

user posted image user posted image user posted image

Almost forgot Pleasantville. Old firehouse on Wheeler Avenue, middle of the block , I think it is #70(not sure). FD left in 195? when the current building on Washington Avenue was constructed. After that, the building was the Villlage Hall/Police Station until they moved to the current location at the end of Wheeler Ave. Now the building is private offices, but if you look closely at the top of the building, there are small beige bricks that have Maltese Crosses carved into them.

New Rochelle has one on North Ave that was old Eng. 6 and Church St. that was old headquarters that housed Eng 2 before it went to Webster Ave.

CITY OF YONKERS

OLD STATION 2 VINEYARD AV JUST OFF ASHBURTON AV

BUILDING STILL STANDING BUT IS SLATED TO BE TAKEN DOWN

ENG 2 AND TRUCK 2 WERE LOCATED THERE

OLD STATION 8 OFF WARBURTON AV (DOWN SMALL STREET NEXT TO PS25) THIS BUILDING WAS AN OLD BARN

On NYC on W 135 street at St. Nicholas ave the old fire patrol house closed around the 1950's now a church. still has the look of a fire house.

New Rochelle has one on North Ave that was old Eng. 6 and Church St. that was old headquarters that housed Eng 2 before it went to Webster Ave.

Where on North Ave and Church St. ??

Where on North Ave and Church St. ??

The old Engine 6 is located on North Ave. just south of Wilmot Rd., where North Ave. turns to Mill Rd. It is now a private residence.

The Church St. firehouse is about 2-3 buildings in from Main St. opposite the parking garage. It is now used as a French Baptist church.

Edited by GFD538

At least two of our former stations in Belltown (Stamford) are still standing. 11 Leonard St a 2 story 2 bay station was closed in 1963. It now houses the TR Molgano Landscaping Co. And there is an old barn on Toms Rd, next to a forgotten old cemetary, which was I think our original station. It has long since been converted to a private house and is owned by the parents of one of our past members. It is down a long driveway and can't be seen from the street.

Of course Stamford's old Station 2, at 678 Pacific St is still standing, but since most of the South End is about to be redeveloped who knows how long it will be there for. I've heard it will be saved for some type of new use but we all know how well historic buildings do against "progress"

On Lockwood Av, north of Cove Rd in Stamford, is also the Firehouse that never was. It was originally built for 4 Company, but never occupied by the Stamford Fire Department. It was the home to the now disbanded Stamford Auxiliary Fire Department until 1978. The 1950 Mack Engine that the SAFD used is now at the SFRD Mechanical Division and is used for various public events. The Building is a private club now, I think it may be a greek american club but I am not sure.

Patterson FD had a house off of 311, I want to say Front Street. It's now a garage.

Looking at the Historic Patterson website, the first fire house was on Main Street(now Route 311) near Locust Street, and is now used as storage. A picture is shown here :http://www.historicpatterson.org/Exhibits/ExhThenAndNow.php The picture is about 16 photos in, each photo has a before and after shot of Patterson. It also says elsewhere in the website that Patterson FD move in 1968/69 to a new building which eventually became the current Town Court/Library, when the fire department moved across Route 311 in 1991.

There is also video of Patterson from 1960, and there is a small shot of Patterson FD about 7 minutes into the film at http://www.historicpatterson.org/Exhibits/ExhOurTown.php

Edited by grumpyff

Also in New Rochelle is the old house at union ave and 3rd or 4th street. It's on the left heading from webster ave.

Carmel Firehouse used to be closer to the center of town, I believe on Fair street very close to the corner of 52 and Fair Street It escapes me exactly which building held it, and I don't remember when, but their current HQ, if I remember correctly was tha A&P store at Route 52 and Vink Drive.

Also in Port Chester,

110 Willett Ave. between N. Main St. and Marvin Pl., this was the home of Reliance Eng. & Hose Co., No. 1 ( Engine 60) and Harry Howard Hook & Ladder Co., No. 1 ( Ladder 31 & Tower 2) from Jan. 1866 to fall 1907. It also housed the fire alarm system. From 1907 until 2006 it had served as the village rooms and later the building department.

It was sold this spring to a private owner who has gutted it and will be using it for commercial space.

Don't forget the "Tin Shed" where E61 was located while the new South End firehouse was being built.

All over the city of Bridgeport old firehouses can be found. Two of the most notable are Engine 14 now a Police Precinct and the Fmr Quarters of E7 L11 on Fairfield Ave, now a boxing gym. Also in the E3/E4 area off wood ave another abandoned firehouse can be found. Also Bpt. is in the works of building a new Firestation for E10 L10 on Boston Ave, their current firehouse on Putnam St. is worth driving past to get a view of some great old architecture still being used today.

Tarrytown:

The Masonic Building at 54 Main St, Tarrytown, housed Hope Hose, Conqueror Hook and Ladder and the Tarrytown Police Dept until 1964. At which time a new fire station was built at 50 Main St and a new police station at 150 Franklin St.

Elmsford:

The building on South Central Ave (opposite La Stazione), Elmsford, housed the Elmsford Fire Company until 1957. At which time a new fire station was built at 144 East Main St.

The building at 7 North Lawn Ave, Elmsford, housed Live Oak Engine Co. until 1968. At which time a new fire station was built next door at 5 North Lawn Ave.

Carmel Firehouse used to be closer to the center of town, I believe on Fair street very close to the corner of 52 and Fair Street It escapes me exactly which building held it, and I don't remember when, but their current HQ, if I remember correctly was tha A&P store at Route 52 and Vink Drive.

The old firehouse on Fair St is now the Knights of Columbus hall. You can still see where the bay doors were. The current firehouse on Route 52 was origianlly a Grand Union which moved to the Putnam Plaza shopping center in the late 70's

post-17-1159244578.jpg

I pass by a Firehouse in the Bronx all the time on Jerome Ave & 183 ST

it's now a FDNY EMS Station. What Firehouse was it?

Just curious.... Anyone know? rolleyes.gif