Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Into The Fire

29 posts in this topic

The History Channel has a documentary coming up in October concerning the Fire Service.

"Through intimate interviews with firefighters from big-city engine companies and small-town volunteer fire departments, the film asks – and answers – the question, “Why do they do it?”"

http://www.firemansfund.com/servlet/dcms?c=heritage&rkey=353

This looks like a winner, so check it out, and be sure to mark your calendar.

Enjoy!

MODS:

If this needs to get moved to a more suitable topic forum , please do so.

Thanks,

Jack

Edited by jack10562

New intro video up on their website...looks like its going to be a great show

Ordinary People

Extraordinary Courage

A Gripping Documentary From

Academy Award Winner

Bill Couturie

"INTO THE FIRE"

Firefighters, From Big Cities To Small Towns

Airs nationally on:

The History Channel

October 13, 8PM

October 22, 4PM

this show looks really cool even though I couldnt watch the videos on their website

They actually had the premiere at 1900hrs PST today, at the Directors Guild on Sunset Boulevard right down the street from where I am staying. I caught it during my stroll down Sunset. I was actually invited to go last minute today, but I didn't have a suit or tie or a uniform with me :-(.

Here are the photos:

[attachmentid=1297]

[attachmentid=1298]

[attachmentid=1299]

It's an exciting moment for the fire service to be in the general public eye!

post-2-1159927800.jpg

post-2-1159927812.jpg

post-2-1159927821.jpg

'Into the Fire' Aims to Build Support for Firefighters

PAUL PELUSO

Firehouse.Com News

Oakland, Calif. firefighter Zac Unger stares into the lens with a grin from ear to ear as he talks about the importance of a well-aged helmet.

"Guys show off their helmets that are old and crusty," he says. "It's the worst thing in the world to have a brand new coat and a helmet that's all shiny and doesn't have any ash on it.

"You want to be able to show that you've been in there and you've taken the hit and taken the beating.

The camera switches its focus to Washington, D.C. firefighter Tomi Rucker, who helps shed light on the myth that rookie firefighters find their own ways to damage their helmets so not to be picked on.

"I used to think it was just a joke, until one day I came in and the rookie on the fire truck was sticking his helmet in the oven," she says. "I was like, 'What are you doing? We catch fires.' "

Unger and Rucker are just a few of the many faces featured in new documentary "Into the Fire" that has managed to humanize firefighting through the stories told by personalities from departments across the country.

The one-and-a-half hour film -- set to air on The History Channel Oct. 13 at 8 p.m. -- was produced by the Fireman's Fund Insurance Co. with the goal to increase the nation's familiarity and support of firefighting, according to the company's Web site.

Fireman's Fund, which launched the film as part of its Heritage program, says it will donate funds raised through screenings of the film to firefighters and fire service organizations in association with the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

At the reigns of the project was director Bill Couturie, who has directed several war documentaries including "Last Letters Home: Voices of American Troops from the Battle fields of Iraq" and "Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam." This was Couturie's first work with firefighters.

"I've done a lot of films about soldiers and war, and I'm just constantly amazed that there are people in the world who are willing to put their lives on the line, to sacrifice their lives, for us," he says in a trailer for the movie. "When the opportunity came along to do a film on firefighters, I hadn't really though about it, but it's like, 'Gee, these guys do the same thing.' "

The film's crew conducted interviews at departments in California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and Wisconsin, and came away with heartfelt accounts from 13 firefighters on life in the fire service.

The camaraderie among firefighters is obvious through the movie, and in a one segment, nicknames like Amigo, Doc, Cowboy, Big Dog, Uncle, Axe Head and The Fuzz are shown emblazoned on the tops of lockers. Many of the firefighters in film show pride in their nicknames, no matter how ridiculous they may be.

"You might not like your nickname, but the fact that someone gave you one means that they care enough about you to have thought of one," Unger says.

Michael Perry, a volunteer from New Auburn, Wis., refers to his fellow firefighter's nickname: Bob the One-Eyed Beagle. The name was given to a member of the department who is cross-eyed.

"People say that's very insensitive," he says. "I'm like, 'No.' In this group you need to get nervous if they're not making fun of you. If they're being really nice to you and polite, it's a bad sign."

The film also touches on a lot of misconceptions people outside of the fire service have about the work, including the misconceptions one has when becoming a firefighter.

"You show up for your first fire and it's everything you hoped it would be," Perry says. "The pager goes off, you run to the building and you get the big shinny trucks and turn on the flashing sirens and you go out and there are big flames and you spray water and knock it down and it's all very glamorous and exciting.

"And then, oh, you got three hours of clean up. You've got to rip apart soggy walls and pull out wet insulation. That's not much fun anymore."

Glendale, Calif. Fire Captain Niall Foley recalls a mistake he made as a rookie while fighting a fire from a building's roof.

"I'm the rookie so I'm towards the back," he says. "I can't see anything. All I can see is the guy in front of me. â€Â¦ There's a reason you walk in line, there's a reason you sound out in front of you. There's a reason for all of that and you know all of this in your head, but you're the new guy, you want to prove yourself, you're all excited.

"So we're walking in a straight line, everyone is sounding out, and I can't see. I took one step out of 'in line' and put my leg though the roof."

Perry described a fire department as one big family, and that when someone messes up, they'll hear about it.

"The number-one game here is ego-deflation," he says. "If you mess up you should print up a press release and make sure everyone gets a copy, because the only thing worse than them hearing about it is them finding out about it about a week later."

Unger compares the scenes from Hollywood blockbusters such as "Ladder 49" and "Backdraft" where firefighters are shown heroically busting into buildings and making effortless rescues.

"Fire is totally chaotic," he says. "Mostly you're just stumbling through. It's like someone took a wet towel and put it over your head."

In one of the final segments of the documentary, the 9/11 terrorist attacks are profiled as viewers are reminded not to forget the sacrifices made by firefighters that died day and by firefighters across the country everyday.

One of the main goals of the film is to help raise funds to help purchase equipment such as thermal imaging cameras, a device featured in the film, for departments that can't afford them. Couturie expresses the need for support of fire services so that firefighter deaths are prevented.

"Often times they die for us," he says. "They shouldn't have to die for us. They should have the resources, the manpower, the training and the equipment they need to do their job and then go home to their families."

Tonight Bump

8pm

AFTER 34 YEARS AS A FIREFIGHTER BOTH AS A PROFESSIONAL AND A VOLLY, SOMEBODY GOT IT RIGHT, GREAT SHOW!

I have to say "Into The Fire" was an awesome documentary.

It really hit home!

Did anyone happen to notice when the 9/11 part came on

what time it was 9:11 PM.

Kinda gave me the chills.

KUDOS INTO THE FIRE!!!!

Yeah that was definitely a good one. Basically completely devoid of cheesy, stereotypical cliches, thankfully. I really liked the guy from Wisconsin, especially the story he tells of the guy with the "NO FEAR!!!" sticker on his helmet. We all know "that guy". laugh.gif He got it right though, as far as the glory part being only a small fraction of what we do overall.

excellent show! made me very emotional... i did not notice that the 9/11 part came on at 9:11, its on at midnight again and I will watch it again! all in all very well done!

that was a great show it, had its somber parts, i had tears when he talked about the little kids and the baby. abd 9/11. ut it showed a great side of what we do. and if this was primetime more people would watch. and mabey thed pull over when we roll bye

thatll probally never happen.

stay safe

sr71

You see why can't they make a show like that. Very cool Kudos to the history channel for what they did. I just wish it was a show not just an awesome documentary.

P.S.

I wish they did something like that for EMS. (not to steal the lime light from you Hose boys wink.gif ) But think about it how much people will think about give money to the cause. Which is great, What i want to see for EMS if something like this was to happen. More Volly's and More Money for us paid guys

Edited by ems-buff

classy classy classy... I was completely taken back my it.. great job by the History Channel. If they offer for sale.. i will be sure to add it to my collection.

the wife even teared up..

my 3 y/o daughet watched it and she did not say a word the entire time., for her.. that is amazing..

What an amazing show...i really enjoyed every last second of it.

What really got to me was the last little fact that the show threw into it...

"Every 78 hours a firefighter dies in the line of duty"

this sombering fact needs to be changed asap...like the show said, there is no reason why firefighters should give their lives up for others in the line of duty.

Top of the line technology impeded by a hundred years of tradition is no excuse for a LODD. As much as I wish and pray that there will never be another LODD, I know deep down that a fellow brother or sister will succumb to fire.

What needs to be changed immediately is our own health. How can we possibly help others, when our own are dying of heart attacks and suffering from numerous cardiovascular diseases and ailments while on duty. Times have changed ladies and gentlemen and it is time to beat this outrageous number of LODD's by fighting fire with fire. Insist at your next company meeting or station drill that an exercise program is set up. The program does not have to turn you into triathlon runners, but merely keep you is good enough health to get the job done at the most efficient rate possible.

It would kill me, and I'm sure every other member on this board and in the United States, to know that someone close to home died in the line of duty because of a heart attack on scene. If just one of our own can be saved by a simple exercise plan, wouldn't that be enough?

The show was well done. What about the guy who moved to Hudson NY because he liked the truck they had. If the truck breaks down will he move back?

What really got to me was the last little fact that the show threw into it...

"Every 78 hours a firefighter dies in the line of duty"

this sombering fact needs to be changed asap...like the show said, there is no reason why firefighters should give their lives up for others in the line of duty.

Well said, I saw that fact too and it is shocking. Currently to date this year there have been 74 LODD's. Last year there was 106. The numbers have to continue to go down, and hopefully someday the goal of 0 can be reached.

I noticed he was an ex chief too "the guy on hudson) was a good program

I really liked it too!

I especially enjoyed listening to that guy from Oakland talking about the helmet in the oven thing. That was funny. I also like the "scary shower" thing.

Is it me, or do you guys feel really, really bad for the guys from Ipswich? Man, I hope he knows he did nothing wrong, he just happened to be first in for something awful. I can't believe their staffing!!!!!

I missed that last part about the LODD info cuz' I was on a run, that's definitely something we have to change!!!

Excellent, EXCELLENT program, I will definitely watch it again.

"Where's your No Fear sticker now, Spanky?"

Hate to admit it....but when I was 16-17 I had one of those too, then one of my best mentors told me if it is how I really am, then I am going to get myself and others hurt. Ripped it off the next day...

The show was well done.  What about the guy who moved to Hudson NY because he liked the truck they had.  If the truck breaks down will he move back?

I don't blame him for moving they have a really nice truck

I only saw the first half of it, during the midnight repeat. I hope to catch whenever the repeat is. I echo the thoughts that have been posted already. Finally someone got it right. While I don't have the career frame of reference, it did look like they got it right all the way around.

I caught the midnight rerun. AWSOME, AWSOME show!!!! Two items hit me hard. I was in the ER when the doc came out and told a family that their son/brother, who was also a member of CFFD didn't make it from a PIAA. On a side note almost 20 years to the day we lost another young (both were 18 y/o) member. The total devastation was something I hope I NEVER see again. The other part was about the baby. Been there too. Although ours was a little different since we knew the kids were in there, but nothing we could do. We didn't know until later, we were litterally walking on them during the fire suppression as they were buried under the rubble. Not a good way to start off New Years Eve.

I wasn't really too impressed with the show. It was very sad, even depressing, but that is the reality of the lives we lead.

I felt it scratched the surface of what the public needs to be aware of. I felt it was very vague when it described why understaffing is so dangerous, and other issues. Although this film is better then nothing, the power used to get it produced, on the air on a major channel, a better message could have been sent to the public. 9/11 was a major, major tragedy in the fire service, but so was the Worcester 6, and the Fathers Day fire, etc etc etc. I wish they had gone more into the everyday fire that kills as well. It did a good job of making the public see the sacrifice we make, but it didn't educate them about what our job really involves.

By the way, a ton of that footage was from LAFD and it's incidents, and shot by Juan Guerra. You can more of that footage on his very graphic DVD's "Emergency Care In The Streets". He is a freelance news videographer in the LA area and some of his work can also be seen on LAFireVideos.com

I'm also suprised they didn't talk to more people in the fire service, like Chief Goldfeder.

Also, that gentleman from Oakland FD is Zac Unger. He wrote a book entitled "Working Fire: The Making Of An Accidental Fireman". It's a good read:

http://www.zacunger.com/

I'm still waiting for the documentary that shows the lives of career firefighters and the challenges they face. Maybe I will have to form my own production company and make it myself.

I don't blame him for moving they have a really nice truck

Please tell me your joking.

The last airing scheduled will be Saturday 10/22 @ 4PM.

Just a reminder, the re-run airs this afternoon at 4pm.

I noticed he was an  ex chief too "the guy on hudson) was a good program

He was indeed, one of our best ever. Miss that guy.........