Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pump Gear trouble

17 posts in this topic

While we were doing a pumping drill last night, our engine 1 (a 1975 farrar) slippied out of gear?

The pump operatior went to throttle up to increase pressure (she is an excellent pump operator) and my bro chris noticed the engine was moving. We immediately shut down and i hopped off and hoped in the cab to stand on the brakes. The truck moved about 2-3 feet, it did not jump, it gradually moved.

I was just wondering what could cause this.

Also i think it is most likely due to old age, becuase when our cheif came to inspect it, the orange (front) cross-lay decided to start charging. The valve was closed.

thanks for any replies!

Josh

Granville Engine 1

Could be a transmission problem. Something in the transfer case. There was a fatality in Westchester County a number of years ago. A young FF was pinned between two rigs crushing his legs.

You should ALWAYS chock your apparatus especially when pumping. This may help prevent the traveling you described.

Ardsley FD had a 1978 Mack that jumped out of pump more than one time. My private vehicle got smashed by the Mack in 1980.

Ardsley FD had a 1978 Mack that jumped out of pump more than one time. My private vehicle got smashed by the Mack in 1980.

We had one do that and now there is an SOP to CHOCK the wheels

Edited by Reliance

Always chock your apparatus...

Personally I would remove this engine from service until it can be inspected by a mechanic to rule out any defects that may cause it to happen again. It may slip again, or worse jump into gear and really take off.

aside from the chocks... what happened to the parking brake??? was it not applied or was there a failure of an air pressure line that would let it release as well as the PTO?? Some apparatus that had/have air actuated PTOs - that could be a potential explanation.

I just have to add that while chocking the apparatus is an obvious safety precaution, realistically the truck is going to jump the chock. Always be sure the engine is in pump not only by looking for the 5 cent green light to be on, but to see that the rpms and speedometer have risen. With the Maxi Brake on and the pump in the proper gear It is HIGHLY unlikely that the engine will slip out of pump gear and into drive AND over power the Maxi. Again I am not saying not to USE the chocks, but look at big rigs making deliveries, they have no form of chocks, and their parking brakes are sufficient. JMO.

Could be a transmission problem. Something in the transfer case. There was a fatality in Westchester County a number of years ago. A young FF was pinned between two rigs crushing his legs.

You should ALWAYS chock your apparatus especially when pumping. This may help prevent the traveling you described.

His name was Eugene Miller Port Chester FD

aside from the chocks... what happened to the parking brake??? was it not applied or was there a failure of an air pressure line that would let it release as well as the PTO?? Some apparatus that had/have air actuated PTOs - that could be a potential explanation.

[/quo

As for the Parking Brake, Depending on the Gearing of the transmission and the power coming from the engine, the brake may not hold the apparatus at a high enough rmp. I had this problem with a pumper that I was taking care of a few years back. While doing a full DOT inspection as part of my weekly truck checks, I found that when testing the parking brake, the truck would move if the rpm came up more than idle. With very little knowledge about trucks, I saw this as a problem, wrote it up, so on and so on. After the adjustment on the brakes was checked and found to be fine, the answer I got from a truck mechanic was this... The combination of the large horse power motor and the low gearing, the parking brake will not hold the truck at much more than idle. It sounds like a design flaw to me but if there is one truck with this problem, there could be others. In any case, ALWAYS USE A CHOCK. SAFETY FIRST!!!

While we were doing a pumping drill last night, our engine 1 (a 1975 farrar) slippied out of gear?

The pump operatior went to throttle up to increase pressure (she is an excellent pump operator) and my bro chris noticed the engine was moving. We immediately shut down and i hopped off and hoped in the cab to stand on the brakes. The truck moved about 2-3 feet, it did not jump, it gradually moved.

I was just wondering what could cause this.

Also i think it is most likely due to old age, becuase when our cheif came to inspect it, the orange (front) cross-lay decided to start charging. The valve was closed.

thanks for any replies!

Josh

Granville Engine 1

I think it is time for replacement.

Just to clarify, from my understanding, air pressure is required to keep the brakes off. If you have no air pressure, you cannot release the Maxi-brake.

It is an automatic transmission

We had the wheels chocked, but only from the downhill side. The park brake WAS on! I have no idea what the hell happened. But yes, it is an automatic, and it is in dire need of replacement. Our town only has about 200 permanant residence, and we dont get grants that much. Thanks for the replies!

Josh,

If money is really tight see if any neighboring departments are replacing any apparatus that are in better shape than your current unit. That, or EBAY...do a search under fire truck, pumper, etc. You can even go under EBAY motors, there is a section for fire & emergency vehicles.

Here is a direct link to EBAY Motors :Ebay motors Emergency & fire trucks

Edited by grumpyff

thanx grumpy for the link, i've really honestly tried mentioning that to the cheif, and deputy, but, its really not the FD, its more the selectman that dont see the need for them to put out more money for us. All in all our dept. isnt THAT bad. I mean, our equipment has its days, but they havent failed us yet!

There's a gizmo that controls the automatic tranny when pumping. I experienced what you're talking about many years back. It's scary! What you need is a good apparatus mechanic to check it out. Preferably from the manufacturer.