Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest ksneubec

Blue Lights On PD Vehicles

71 posts in this topic

Those of you not familiar the NYS V&T Law Section 375 "Blue Lights" 

it was revised in 2001. No limitations on blue strobes, where the light is facing, or how many candlepower it has, however it does still limit you to one blue light.

Hoping this wasnt directed just at me, my earlier statement was based on the old law, which did have limits on number, wattage, and type of light. Sorry for the confusion.

This is not true... the use of umarked cars is legal for V & T's.  The state and county PD dont use them by choice. But they are allowed to us unmarked vehicals if they want.

There was a bill (or executive order) signed by Gov. Pataki approximately two years ago limiting the use of unmarked cars. The reason for the law was because of police impersonaters hijacking cars.

I believe it was an Executive Order and only applies to State Police Vehicles

Correct RWC....

"Such blue light may be DISPLAYED by such volunteer fireman on such a vehicle ONLY when engaged in an emergency operation."

Depending on how technical you or the officer writing the ticket wants to get....Unless you are responding on a call, the light should not even be visible.

And as for getting out of a ticket because you were written by an officer displaying blue lights. Let me know where and when your trial will be...because I have to hear the judge's response.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

If you find a copy of the executive order or bill that was passed i would be honnored to see it... But i can almost garentee you wont because there is none.

If you find a copy of the executive order or bill that was passed i would be honnored to see it... But i can almost garentee you wont because there is none.

What are you basing your information on?

I can't find the exact law BUT here it is right from the NYSP web site: http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/FAQs/Traff...Roadway_Travel/.

Specifically the last Q & A:

Q.  I heard that New York State Police can not use unmarked vehicles to stop a motorist for routine traffic enforcement. Is this true?

Yes, this is true. 

However, unmarked vehicles can be used: 

In conjunction with marked vehicles to conduct routine traffic enforcement. 

To effect a stop, if a driver actions are risking the safety other motorists. 

For the record, I stand corrected, according to the web page, it only pertains to NYSP.

and that is there choose....there is no LAW...

What are you basing your information on? 

Along with being an explorer with the fire department i am an explorer with the police department. i asked an officer this question and this is the answer i got.... it is NYSP choose to not use unmarked vehicals...its not a LAW

you also forgot to put in the last line from the website....

All other municipal agencies (sheriff's, local police, etc.) can use unmarked vehicles in traffic enforcement.

Just for reference, just some bills that are/were active in the NYS Assembly.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A04382

Restricts the use of unmarked or concealed identity law enforcement vehicles by the state police and designated state departments and offices

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A08369

Prohibits the use of unmarked police vehicles to routinely stop motorists for vehicle and traffic law violations, with exceptions

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S00954

Restricts the use of unmarked or concealed identity law enforcement vehicles by the state police and designated state departments and offices

Thanks Seth!

It's Executive Order #35 issued on April 17, 1996.

Ffdexpler I did not forget the last line. Read the last line of my last post:

For the record, I stand corrected, according to the web page, it only pertains to NYSP.

Hi Guys, new to the board. Quick question. Do you, working as a vollie, have to notify your auto insurance company that you are using vehicle to respond to calls? Either through company policy or state law? Just curious. And BTW the next time you get pulled over by a Radio Car with blue lights. Take a stand...demand an explanation from the Officer....j/k stay safe

Since I'm on a roll today in a bad mood...how bout this guys. They put the blue lights on there for safety to cover more spectrums of visibility. Before you worry about the police cruisers how bout worrying about this:

1. Get your own members to follow the law first and stop using the I volunteer so I'm owed something mentality.

2. Get your departments who don't to get you physicals. It may save your life regardless of what some may think.

3. Then get a fit test as well for those of your depts. that don't, that might just save your life.

4. Sit down and revamp your training programs that might just save your life.

5. Sit down and use the energy complaining about a courtesy light which won't save your life and write some SOG's for your dept. that just might.

6. Use the same ire to discuss and find a solution to the communication problems which again might save or cost you your life.

7. Pick up your IFSTA manual and review a chapter on basic tactics, something may save your life or make you more efficient.

8. Go to your local marine recruiting office and tell him that Marines are the toughest SOB's on the face of the earth. They may just save your life someday by killing some terrorist.

9. Get out of the firehouse and do something, like college courses, etc. it may save your life someday and your marriage. For some of you that live there you may get out and actually realize there are more then just the 3 woman at the firehouse.

10. If they take away blue and green lights is it really that much the end of the world? How bout the droves that use no lights, which I often do not use mine, I think its silly sitting at a red light with a light flashing for 30 seconds. You'll still get there, I'd like to see it that they can only be used if you are respondign to the firehouse to pick up a apparatus and then people would know its not some yahoo flying around blinding people for a wire down but going to pick up a emergency vehicle.

Now that I'm done with my rant, and it was very therapuetic, take notice that I could care less if they wanted to use pink purple or polka dot lights. Who cares, there are issues a lot more important to our safety then some police department using blue lights. Especially when I've seen more yahoo's with full light packages on their cars long before blue lights on cruisers were popping up. Give me a break guys. And yes I do have a blue light in my car for where I live (some guys I work with won't like that but oh well) and I could care less who else is using them. Get real with issues before you worry about a light in your vehicle.

Auto insurance policies differ from carrier to carrier.

I do not know of any specific requirement to advise the carrier that you are using your personal vehicle to respond to calls.

If you are authorized to use a siren or red light on your auto, you should have you and your vehicle added onto your departments insurance policy.

If you are in NY and have an accident in your POV, regardless of fault, most insurance companies will not make that a chargable accident against your policy to raise your rates (if they don't drop you). I am not sure on assigned risk policies.

alsfirefighter, although I don't always agree with some of what you post, You said it all in a nutshell in this one. GREAT POST DAMMIT!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>

Good Post ALSFIREFIGHTER VENT VENT !!

FYI While watching the news @ noon I saw that a NYPD ESU truck has a half red half blue set up.

does it honnestly really bother you wut color lights they have on there cars??? does it hurt u?? it shouldnt bother you... it is not hurting u so don worry about it.

I think that this arguement is kinda a waste of time, but for the sake of adding my two cents, I agree with the thought that WHO CARES, the more blue thats out there the better it is for us, establishing greater respect for blue lights.

I dont care who has them, just making an observation

This topic has been thrown around way too much, its kind of silly, at least in my opinion. But alsfirefighter, you should be in bad moods more often, your venting made alot of sense lol! You were straight-foward, honest & didn't hold back (not that thats different from when you're in a good mood lol).

I've said it before...who gives a good god damn what color lights are on a PD vehicle? And by the way als, i too feel like a complete a** when i actually use a blue light & sit at traffic lights & have everyone stare at me lol! Anyway, i have alot of friends in law enforcement & if blue lights on their patrol vehicles make them safer, then i'm all for it! Do you think that police officers sit around and b**** about FF's having blue lights & EMTs having green lights? I highly doubt it! What about FD Chiefs & EMS officers having red lights/sirens, do you think PO's get their panties in a twist over that? No, because we're all in this wonderful world of emergency services together! Most PD's don't go out and ticket guys with way too many lights than they're suppose to have, right? So if they're not bustin' our chops, lets not bust theirs! For all you buffs out there with the light bar, grille lights, deck lights and whatever else you may have, just know that the PD's can start really cracking down if they want! Don't get me wrong, i have a blue light too, but i don't have any expectations when i use it, most of the time i don't even bother turning it on.

As alsfirefighter said, firefighters have alot more to worry about than the PD's using blue lights. Instead of bitching about this nonsense stuff, do more fire training, take classes, anything to better you as a firefighter, because this certainly won't help.

Next time you see a PD vehicle with blue lights, you'll realize why they use them, they're bright as hell, hence making the police officers' jobs safer!

For those of you who hate seeing PD cars using blue lights, don't go to San Juan, Puerto Rico! Their cars have red & green light bars, very festive for the christmas season!

There's traffic lights in Buchanan?

All good points. A lot of points that people are agreeing to, but not exactly following through with.....

Talk the talk? Can you walk the walk??

Some great points have come out here. I agree with those who say that if blue lights on PD vehicles mak em safer then GO FOR IT. But IMO the best points were those regarding what might happen if you break POs balls Juts remember they have a bigger hammer to slam on yours so be careful! The other of the better points was instead of wasting time bitching about the small stuff look around for ways to better yourselves! You people who have nothing better to complain about must have very simple lives and not do a whole lot if that bothers you that much. Look around there are a lot of people out there with much worse problems. Why don't you spend some of your free time to seek those people out and do something to help make their lives better! There, Now I'm done rambling!

Remember 585 wrote:

Heh Heh.

I dunno, Captain whacker...still got all them lights in your ride???

Long live West Comm. Miss me???

Remember 585 wrote:

Heh Heh.

I dunno, Captain whacker...still got all them lights in your ride???

Long live West Comm.  Miss me???

I miss you like a bad rash pal!!!

I have downgraded the buff-mobile. Its all "incognito," or as my favorite animated idiots used to say "in-burrito." ](*,)

There is 1 light in Buchanan right?.....that and a circle.

Is there a dentist?

I know there are several vets.

Oh come on ALS...you know i'm on your side, no need to make fun of me or my town lol! And as for Remember585...there are actually 6 traffic lights in Buchanan lol! Two of them are between my house and the FH, and they are 2 blocks apart, same road & set so that when 1 turns green, the next one turns red...what a bummer lol! Now that i'm a Lt, i gotta go to the FH to ensure that the rigs get out, but they usally get out before i get there (not such a bad thing). And like theres that many more in Croton lol? We have the circle, you guys have the dummy light, really not much difference! And yes there is a dentist in Buchanan, but no, not any vets. I believe you're thinking of Verplanck that is dentist-less lol!

As stated, numerous times, it is a courtesy light! Coureous people move out of the way to let us pass. I think this topic is a little old to be stirring up again ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I THINK IF THE COPS CAN USE BULE LIGHTS MAYBE I WILL PUT

RED AND BLUE ON MY LIGHT BAR AND A SIREN MAYBE THEN THEY WILL PULL OVER WHAT THE HELL THE COPS DON'T OBAY THE LAW WHY SHOULD WE

Haha, yea, I am with you 648. I guess some people just like to stoke the coals.