Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Manhattan - High Rise Fire w/ Collapse - FF LODD's

79 posts in this topic

So far this seems to be the only news outlet reporting possible LODD's. Lets hope they are wrong.

Unfortunately it's been confirmed. 1 member from Ladder 5 & 1 member from Engine 24 (same house) it was just on Fox News also.

I was really hoping that report was wrong. A sad day for the FDNY and the fire service as a whole. :(

WABC news reports that there are now 2 firefighters transported from the scene in cardiac arrest.
:o !!!!!!

Abandoned skyscraper near ground zero burns, in danger of collapse

The Associated Press

NEW YORK — An abandoned skyscraper was in danger of collapse after a seven-alarm blaze ripped through the building near ground zero and critically injured at least two firefighters, police said.

Officers at the scene were preventing nearby residents from returning to their homes even to rescue pets, telling them that authorities were concerned the former Deutsche Bank office building, vacant since Sept. 11 turned it into a toxic nightmare, could fall.

Two firefighters were critically injured while trying to reach the fire at the building, fire officials said. One firefighter suffered cardiac arrest and another smoke inhalation. A third suffered minor injuries to an ankle, fire officials at the scene said.

“We heard this crashing,” said Elizabeth Hughes, who saw the fire start from her rooftop deck across from the tower. “And then a huge fire that went up three floors fast. It was massive. ... Oh my God! I can’t even go in and get my cats.”

Hughes called 911, grabbed some of her things and ran, she said.

The blaze began about a dozen floors up in the tower and was burning on multiple floors at the building. Construction crews had already dismantled 14 of the building’s 40 stories — reaching the 26th floor on Tuesday. Some firefighters used stairs to reach the burning upper floors; others smashed out the building’s windows to let more air in to reach the blaze.

More than two hours after the blaze was first reported, the blaze was declared a six-alarm fire. Officials continued to push onlookers further back from the building and set up a command post on the West Side Highway. Officials could be seen poring over a map of the area.

The cause of the fire was unknown. Smoke pouring from the burning building was visible from midtown Manhattan and the New Jersey side of the Hudson River.

The acrid smell of smoke, which hung over the neighborhood for days after Sept. 11, returned to lower Manhattan along with the wail of emergency vehicles. More than three dozen fire vehicles, with more than 160 firefighters, responded to the blaze as pieces of burning debris fell from the building to the streets.

Scaffolding on the sides of the building was aflame as police shut down streets in the area around ground zero.

The building at 130 Liberty St. has become a constant headache for redevelopers in the nearly six years since the attacks. The 1.4 million square foot office tower stood as a downtown Manhattan eyesore, contaminated with toxic dust and debris after the World Trade Center’s south tower collapsed into it.

Efforts to dismantle the skyscraper were halted by a labor dispute last year, along with the ongoing search for the remains of attack victims.

More than 700 bones and fragments were discovered in the contaminated skyscraper from mid-2005 to June of this year, including some positively matched this year to a previously unidentified victim. The last bones found at the building were in March, leading city officials to conclude their search three months later.

There was another weeklong shutdown of work in May, when a 22-foot pipe fell through the roof of a nearby firehouse from the 35th floor.

Two years ago, redevelopment officials said the building contained excessive levels of seven hazardous susbstances, including dioxin and lead. As part of the tear down, a dozen air quality monitors were installed in the area around the building.

Officials did not immediately comment on whether the smoke at the scene contained any toxic chemicals. A spokesman for the Empire State Development Corp. said the agency, which is overseeing redevelopment at ground zero, was working with emergency officials to assess the impact of the fire.

Very sad day indeed :( ...may these brave men rest in peace & a speedy recovery to injured members.

RIP Brothers!

5-5-5-5

Thoughts and prayers to the families. Rest in peace

My thoughts and prayers are with thier families and FDNY brotherhood. A very sad day indeed.

Jim

RIP, My prayers are with all those involved.

It almost feels like there are now 345 deaths from 9/11

What collapsed? - I have been busy and unable to monitor.

Per wnbc.com:

One of the firefighters killed was identified as Joseph Graffagnino, 34, of Brooklyn. A firefighter for eight years, he was a member of Ladder 5, which lost 11 members on Sept. 11.

God Bless him, his family and his brothers who tried to save him.

God bless the brothers who died in the performance of their duties in Manhattan. This is a very sad day, the hallowed grounds of the Sept. 11 attacks claimed enough of our brothers, to take two more doesn't seem fair. Let them rest in peace and never be forgotten.

JVC

As per WABC (channel 7) FF Graffagnino was covering E-24. Other firefighter is only identified as a 23 year veteran, pending notification to family.

RIP brothers

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by an OMA physician or medical officer response? And does fall-back have another meaning other then the obvious one? Also what are the different levels of NYPD mobilization and what do they mean? Thoughts and prayers to the firefighter.

-Jared

I'm not sure if it has changed but up until a few years ago, on multiple alarm calls, the on duty Medical Officer doctor is transported to the scene to meet up with the Fire Department ambulance to do on scene triage.

Rest in Peace my brothers, you'll always be in our thoughts and prayers

i applogize for going off topic but was there a fatal all hands in brooklyn where a civilian died? Sorry about the typing im not home and the keyboard im using is no good.

Yet another day of tragedy for the FDNY and the entire Fire Service. Thoughts and Prayers to the families of these dedicated heros, as well as our FDNY brothers and sisters. Speedy recovery to the injured.

Take up, Borthers. May you Rest in Peace. Thoughts and prayers to their families and fellow members of FDNY.

From newschannel4.com:

The other firefighter was identified as 23-year veteran Robert Beddia, 53, a member of Engine Company 24.

God Bless.

We're approaching 0100 and units are still going into the scene for relief purposes. Heard E84, E58, L30, S270 among others.

Heart goes out to all the familys,friends and fellow brothers.

Citywide message just made announcing the two Brother's deaths.

Very sad day.

Damn not again....RIP Brothers

RIP brothers, thoughts and prayers with the families and FDNY.

May the souls of these firefighters Rest In Peace. And may the Lord be with their families, friends, and brothers in service!

When I saw the photos in the NY Post this morning it reminded me of the night of September 11th when a number of Empress personal sat on the South side of the Amex building facing this structure and fire was pouring out of almost every floor. Without the scaffolding you would not be able to tell the difference. Very very sad day!

Yet another very painfull day for the FDNY.. RIP Brothers and many Prayers to their Families and their fellow Firefighters...