Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeinet

Is 9/11 becomnig just another calendar date?

28 posts in this topic

Article is too long to paste: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-09-911_N.htm

I'm really quite stunned right now. Driving to work, I get a mix of CT and NY radio stations as I'm right on the LI Sounds in CT. The *ONLY* radio stations that held a moment of silence were Z100, and 95.5 PLJ... 95.5 even went to NYC to simulcast the memorial. The other radio stations did not even MENTION 9/11. The majority continued to play music, talk about the new rap albums that come out today, or random garble about how somebody's sister slept with their brother who ended up having the kid of their daughter who did it in the bed with grandma.

Yes, 9/11 was six years ago. How can society just be like "eh whatever" to something that was SO CLOSE to home? I could understand if I was in rural Nebraska (not to knock them) but within a 1hr radius of where it happened?

Mind boggling.

Most radio shows in this area are syndications and broadcasted through out the country and run click tapes, no real DJs. I know WPLR, WCCC and a couple others in the New Haven / Hartford area mentioned it.

For whatever reason, a majority of American's have gotten complacent. While those of us who are in Emergency Services and are constantly reminded of the event's of 6 years ago, most people just continue to go through life with blinders on. People outside of NY, DC and PA, have no idea of the devastation we incurred. TV just can't capture the reality. While we will never forget, we must ensure that nobody else does either.

Edited by SgtGumby311

Is it just me, or does it completely seem like society has completely moved on? People act like its just another day. I have a couple opinions I would like to share:

First: Why doesn't FDNY, NYPD, and FDNY EMS treat responders who have died from WTC related illnesses as "line of duty" deaths? You don't see their names being added to memorials, do you?

Second: Why aren't said responders mentioned at the annual memorial in NYC? They lost their lives directly due to the attacks...just took longer! Is it because the city administration chooses not to acknowledge their deaths as WTC related? ($$$)

Third: Why isn't September 11th a national holiday? Hint: $$$$

:angry: Society is disgusting. I have not forgotten!

Much of the general public, being narrow minded as they can get at times has no clue and no interest in the Emergency Services, They tend to take Police, Fire and EMS protection for granted. Unless you are a part of ES, you do become as was mentioned in a previous post, complacent. I know I will never forget.

im just waiting for the retailers to create the "Partiot Day Sale."

u know they wanna do it so bad, and when the timing is more proper, they will.

Edited by vacguy

****Warning Personal Rant****

Friggin Americans, yes, everyone is complacent. I am tired of hearing how we are losing soldiers for no reason in Iraq/Afganistan. I am sick of the news barraging our government in a means for "ratings". It hurts, especially after being there on 9/11 and seeing the devastation first hand! But, it is just an example of our deteriorating, selfish society, that will just keep going downhill. Not only are people complacent, but they just don't care. When was the last time someone yielded you the right of way while traveling southbound on Rte 9a in Mt. Pleasant at the Rte 117 entrance? Everyone said how much 9/11 affected them right after it happened, but how many of those people now even look at terrorism on American soil as a reality? People believe that it won't ever happen again, but then they want Indian Point closed. I can't even...I just get to angry...I'm done!

I am happy they had the memorial this morning, it was touching!

I think part of it is besides those of us in Emergency Services, the only others that feel a sense of loss are the families of those whose lives were lost that fateful day.

In watching the morning show out of LA, a reporter was in Culver City (home of CBS Studios, just north of LAX) where the FD was having a memorial service. They then cut to the reporter's taped questioning of people in the public as to whether we just need to move on. I only saw 1 person who stated we need to remember, so it never happens again. As I stated in another post in another thread, the only worry by most of the American public is that the extra security measures impact their lives because it causes longer delays in their lives.

It is a sad statement in our country, but just shows how selfish the American People have become. :(:(

And as Vacguy stated, I'm just waiting for the first 9/11 sale :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If we actually learned from history, then how would it repeat itself?

I just moved to LI NY from Florida at the end of this past April. The FL radio stations I listened to talked about it much more then the stations here did. The AM sports talk radio I listened to talked about it the entire day every year since 01. Today I figured I would hear alot more of it being so close and must say I was definitly disappointed. Hardly any talk at all, I had to resort to listening to some politcal news FM station. I would also like to know when 9/11 will become a national holiday. Kindof a joke that we celebrate Columbus Day and half of the population has that day off but a day like 9/11 everyone works. September 11th should be a to sit back and reflect on that days events, listen to the radio, watch the television and hear the storys of different people. I think a large part of it is that the average American would probably not want to go over the tragedy over and over every year. I feel its a diservice to those who gave their lives trying to get everyone out of those buildings among the others.

Too many people are looking at it as just another day. So many forget, so many just go about life as if nothing happened but complain about Iraq and the administration. If you read the thread I started with Dennis Smith's article he nailed it.

Anger

Most people outside NYC don't even realize it. Many now in our area are getting the same. Making it a holiday is not the answer. Retail will capitalize on a day of shopping. There is an answer out there some place. Start teaching in the schools. Stop the arguing about how to build at Ground Zero and just get it done.

Start teaching in the schools.

That was one of the things the news folks on the morning show I watch out of LA couldn't believe. This day is not talked about in the schools. Maybe if we all stick our heads in the sand it never happened :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is exactly how I've been feeling all day. I live in Manhattan, and I did not see or hear a single mention about September 11th today. All day I was expecting some sort of university-wide e-mail at least mentioning it, and maybe asking for a minute-long moment of silence on campus. But absolutely nothing happened. It was just another Tuesday.

my friends school in another town didnt have a moment of silence but him and his friends stod up and bowd their head at 8:46 and the teacher yelled at them and my friend called her a communist and got detention

At my school in New Hampshire they sounded the church bells on campus when the first plane hit. And that was it there was no mention about it in any of my classes today or anywhere around campus. My room mate didn't even realize untill we watched the news at 10. I think that this is disgraceful how people seem to forget.

We are bocoming a country of self centered people who take Freedom for granted, and put this out of mind and just plain forget about it, and I think it's a damn shame.

"We are becoming"

... no, I think we long surpassed the "becoming" in that :huh:

"We are becoming"

... no, I think we long surpassed the "becoming" in that :huh:

You're right, Mike. Let me rephrase that we have become a nation of self centered people who take too much for granted. All a lot of them care about is that when they dial 911 help is coming they have NO concept of what is involved.

OK, let's look at this from a different point of view. To the people in Oklahoma City, or Littleton, Colorado, the anniversaries of the attack on the Murrah Building and the murders at Columbine High School are solemn days where those affected take the time to remember. People who live in those cities may take a moment to remember, but they get on with life, especially if they didn't lose someone. I wasn't affected by either one of these events, and although neither was on the scale of the 11th, on those days, it's just another day for me.

If people weren't directly affected, it is just another day for them. Oh yeah, someone may take a moment to say a silent prayer, but the world and lives can't stop. Those of us in our line of work have to strike a tough balance. We have to move on to get the job done, and to honor our friends and colleagues, yet we can never forget the sacrifices.

Here's something to consider. A few months back, I went to pay my respects at my fathers grave on the 10th anniversary of his passing. I stayed there for a while, placed some flowers, said a prayer, and then I went on with my day. This may be going out on a limb, or this may ruffle some feathers here, but I don't think any of our loved ones, friends, colleagues who were lost that day would want us to stop everything, just as my father wouldn't want me to be sitting around moping every March 22nd. They would want us to remember them and honor them, and remember the good stuff.

When it comes to holidays, and sales, and stuff like that, as much as I think it's in extremely poor taste, not only for this day, but Veterans Day and Memorial Day, and the 4th of July, I think it's eventually gonna happen.

I hope I made sense with this little burst of conciousness.

JBE,

I don't think any of us expect the world to come to a standstill, but to have a national moment of silence at some point on the eleventh, I feel is something that should be done. I also think that those who were lost Civilians and MOS alike would not want the Country to come to a standstill. But a few moments to reflect and say a silent Prayer is just the right thing to do.

JBE I also agree with your post. I can only imagine what would happen if there were sales on 9/11 it would be same as having sales on December 7th, It would be a disgrace to all of the people who died

We are bocoming a country of self centered people who take Freedom for granted, and put this out of mind and just plain forget about it, and I think it's a damn shame.

You are correct and unforutnately I have seen this apply to some within our ranks as well.

All of this is crazy, all of our brothers and sister who died that day do not diserve to be taken advantige of. Yesterday I was here at work and everyone here at 8:46am went into the conference room and did a moment of silence, the bosses turned on the TV so they could watch the memorial service and they told them that they didnt have to do any work if they didnt want to, one of the ladies here lost her son,a cousin, and a friend she was here wearing an angel pin with an American Flag, she was the first to stand and the last to sit. I could see that she still remebered and so did everyone else. By the time I got back to the desk it was dead silence in the back room where the TV was on, after the memorial service I heard people talking about how the US needs to get out boys home and give them the proper welcome home they need. but for now many people here where I work "WILL NEVER FORGET" those who lost their lives. I know I won't.

Most people outside NYC don't even realize it. Many now in our area are getting the same. Making it a holiday is not the answer. Retail will capitalize on a day of shopping. There is an answer out there some place. Start teaching in the schools. Stop the arguing about how to build at Ground Zero and just get it done.

People outside of the NY/DC/Shanksville, PA area are acutely aware of the significance of 9/11/01. And I think we have to remember that the nearly 3,000 people who died in the islamofascist attacks died while they were doing what we do every day--living their lives, going to work. No retailer has ever had a Pearl Harbor day sale (Dec. 7, 1942--the prior deadliest attack on the US) or a JFK assassination day (Nov. 22, 1963) sale; no one will dare have a September 11 sale.

The "media" decided not to show any photographs or films of 9/11/01 because they are, supposedly, too traumatic. I disagree. Every time someone went to the movies in the early 1940s, they saw newsreel footage of Pearl Harbor and other WWII battles. Every one who cries "conspiracy" over the Kennedy assassination digs up and shows more films, more photos. But somehow the images of September 11--the images that would keep the anger and the motivation and the memory alive--are too raw for viewing. The only place I saw 9/11/01 images yesterday was in the children's section of a library where there was a display of books.

The Pentagon was repaired before the first anniversary. The military set the goal, they found the same company in Indiana who had cut the original granite slabs, they got it done. People outside of lower Manhattan don't see the site every day, but out here in "fly-over" country it's just a symbol of partisan bickering that something, anything, hasn't been rebuilt. Yes, it is, and forever will be, a grave site, a hallowed ground. But do something about it.

And let's also not forget that the WTC was attacked in 1993, and that Mohammad Atta and his followers of Satan came back and finished the job on 9/11.

Is it just me, or does it completely seem like society has completely moved on? People act like its just another day. I have a couple opinions I would like to share:

First: Why doesn't FDNY, NYPD, and FDNY EMS treat responders who have died from WTC related illnesses as "line of duty" deaths? You don't see their names being added to memorials, do you?

Second: Why aren't said responders mentioned at the annual memorial in NYC? They lost their lives directly due to the attacks...just took longer! Is it because the city administration chooses not to acknowledge their deaths as WTC related? ($$$)

Third: Why isn't September 11th a national holiday? Hint: $$$$

:angry: Society is disgusting. I have not forgotten!

You hit the nail on the head, it's all about $$$$$$.. How about the fund that was set up to help first responders and recovery workers taht to date has spent $0 on sick people, but spend more on administrative costs/salries and denies every claim submitted. I' m having a brain fart as to the name of the fund, it was in the papers a while back.

I don't expect everything to stop on the Eleventh, but there should be some type of rememberance, even if it is just a moment of silence/rememberance. I know my kids school had a moment of silence, my daughter said it was only like 15 seconds long. Most people who were not directly affected by it have moved on and, and often feel everyone else should too. Personally September 11 did not effect me until the beginning of 2003. I became very withdrawn...I didn't want to go out(avoided places with large number of people), stopped responding to alarms, avoided friends and family, avoided anything with 9/11...movies, tv shows, newspaper and magazine articles, and even some of the threads on this board. It got to the point where my wife packed up the kids and left. I was only happy at work around people that I had worked with in the months after Sept 11. I finally got counseling both through Project Liberty, Police Organization Providing Peer Assistance, and a pyschologist. I was able to get back to together with my wife, who thought I was having an affair with my female partner, since I seemed to be happiest around her. In reality I was unable to talk to my wife about what I had been through and seen on the Pile, and in the Pit of Ground Zero, but felt that my partner would understand since she had gone through the same things at work. The medical problems began later in 2003.. the loss of sensation of smell, constant sinus infections, always feeling sick, high fevers with sweating enough to soak the sheets and blankets on the bed while getting the chills at the same time. Over time things have gotten better medically, I had surgery in November 2006 to clean out my sinuses (I know a few others from my command who have had to have the same procedure). I have regained some sense of smell, and have not gotten a sinus infection since. September 11 still feels really fresh to me., like it happened yesterday, but then again I dealt with it everyday for almost a year. I was at the site shortly after 7 WTC collapsed, did 12 to 16 hour days for two months after, and through the remainder of 2002 spent a good amount of time either on the Site security detail, or assigned to the recovery operations. Everyday at work I see the faces of the twenty three NYPD officers who lost their lives on that day. One, Ray Suarez, worked in my command until March of 2001, Mark Elllis from TD-04 I saw often, usually relieving him at 125/Lexington until the midnight tour could get there, and Glen Pettit from the Academy. The same with the posters for FDNY and Port Authority PD, as I know several people from both departments who did survive that day. I am sure that if I was not in the NYPD or some other emergency service (i.e. Joe Blow civillian) I would not have the same feelings about September 11 that I do have. Last year I wrote a Criminal Court summons, and the return date was 09/11/06. The person i gave the summons to was a cook. He flipped out about the return date, that he had to work that day, until I snapped and told him "What, I didn't know anyone that died that day? I'll see you in court, after I get out of the memorial service". Not another word was said, and I never had to appear in court.

Here is a link to Police Organization Providing Peer Assistance (POPPA): http://www.poppainc.com/

Edited by grumpyff