Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Can We Handle A Politics Forum On EMTBravo?

27 posts in this topic

Members-

Recently, I've been debating whether or not to add a politics forum section here on the EMTBravo Network. With the presidential elections coming up, and all the other policitcal issues going on, I am considering it.

But, one part of me feels that it would breed uneccesary tension between members. There's also plenty of Politics forums on the internet....but would it be beneficial to have one here on EMTBravo to discuss political issues with fellow members of the emergency services, as politics can have a different effect on us then the general public.

Can we have a forum where we can discuss politics, have heated debates, and keep it civil and respectful and not personal?

What do you think?

-Seth

I think you would have those few members who could keep it civil and orderly, but my personal feelings are that it would not hold up for very long.

Just my 2 cents.

-xfirefighter484x

The forum will not be civil

I agree...politics would probably be inappropriate here

At first, it almost sounds like a feasible idea. BUT I think while it may start off civil. it won't take long to get out of hand.

I would say no.

I don't see any point to it. It has nothing to do with this website and would probably cause more headaches for you than its worth.

As I have learned, nothing good comes from politics. People can get very passionate about there stance on things like the War, stem cell research, people being shot in the face by the vice president LOL etc. I thik that is better served on a political website. Bring it to this forum and we will be pitting brother against brother in debate unnecessarily. In the state of the Union the country has become polarized and adding politics to this forum will only result in countless attacks at each others personal beliefs. Better to keep politics out of it

Like a lot of people here, at first I thought this would be a good idea. I have seen quite a few non-politics forums that have a politics area. Then again I thought, look at how fast we snipe at each other when dealing with fire based topics that lean towards the internal political side of things. As much as I would like to think this would be different, I know it would not be. I am fairly active politically, and I think that one of the things that makes this forum work is that I don't know other posters political views and they do not know mine.

In one word

NO

However I wouldnt be against a joke forum, but i don't know if even that could remain civil

Edited by nutty1

Unless it has something or anything to do with Emergency Services, then no. If game threads are frowned upon due to their lack of purpose to the aforementioned field, then what would a politics forum do other that stir the pot?

naw, if we get in an up-roar over vac and vfd politics, i think emtbravo might actually see its first sighting of bloodshed if we introduce politics all the way up to the federal level.

NOPE

I have no problem with it and who cares whether or not its "civil." Respectful is what it needs to be. I've never been involved even in debates where it was "civil." And how would a political forum be "inappropriate" here? The fire service is ultra political...lol.

Let me rephrase my previous post, since it seems it may have left me vulnerable to so,e misunderstanding. It may well start out respectful, but in no time at all, it may well turn ugly and DISRESPECTFUL, so I remain opposed to such n area. As political as the fire service can get, I highly doubt that suhc would stay within that part of politics.

Nuff Said

Keep the politics out off "da firehouse". I don't favor a discussion here about it. Things could get pretty heated in my opinion.

Unless it has something or anything to do with Emergency Services, then no. If game threads are frowned upon due to their lack of purpose to the aforementioned field, then what would a politics forum do other that stir the pot?

Exactly my first thought when I read the original post.

You've got to be kidding me. This is, of course, the board where if you say the slightest thing that's not in line with the moderators' beliefs, your post gets deleted. On top of that, many of the posters here are immature, turning a slight comment into a bashfest or one of those ridiculous paid-vs-volunteer-I'm-on-one-side-and-the-other-sucks threads. I don't think the board is ready for a politics forum, but if you want to add some gasoline to the fire, feel free to add one about religion, too; as they say, politics and religion are two things that shouldn't be discussed at work.

Well, if you want to see someone lose there posting privileges, then go for it. Or even how much blood would we be willing to shed for what we think is right? Then go for it. But otherwise, it is only going to start trouble. It is not worth it, Seth. I don't think you want that kind of headaches.

OK, so the answer is NO, there won't be a politics forum, and this thread reinforced why. Thanks to the members for their time. This thread is now closed since a decision has been made.

WolfEMT, I'm not going to even respond (other then this) to yet another one of your invalid, fabricated complaints about this forum........

I just wanted to bump this thread to remind some members why our staff has been directed to squash political threads that have popped up.

Although some my cry censorship, I made this decision with the input of the members of this forum who overwhelmingly opposed political discussion. Which has been further proven in some of these threads.

There's many other forums to discuss politics, and giving how heated these threads have gotten, we are sticking to what the members have asked for.

As you may have noticed, at this time we are allowing 1 discussion thread of the new President Of The United States.

This thread will be closely monitored for any immature remarks and any hostility. This decision was made by the staff of this forum. Any such activity will result in posts being deleted or the thread closed.

Please note that the opinions stated on threads are the opinion of that particular member, and in no way reflects the opinion of EMTBravo.net.