Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

New Rochelle Fire Main St. @ North Ave 12-30-91

22 posts in this topic

That was a long cold night. The fire started on the Main St side in a pile of cardboard boxes in the doorway of a liquor store.

That was a long cold night. The fire started on the Main St side in a pile of cardboard boxes in the doorway of a liquor store.

Cold, yes ! Do you have any more particulars or rundown of Companies etc. to go with the pix ?

You've got to love the old FDMV Snorkel 1 ! Yes, the truck, to what I have been told, was difficult to drive thru the narrow streets in Mount Vernon, but that Snorkel could sure shoot a blast of water from that tower. They don't make rigs like that anymore.

My apologies to R1 SmokeEater, (this is an unintentional hijack)

MV Snorkel 1? I thought Bedford Hills had the first Snorkel in the county, back in the seventies?

Not sure who had the 1st Snorkel Unit in Westchester County. It might have been Bedford Hills. I know that Scarsdale had one at one time, and of course, the Classic Mount Vernon FD Snorkel (Photos above). Does anyone know what FIre Districts in Westchester County had Snorkel Units and who still has them? :lol:

All the Snorkels in Westchester have retired.

Snorkel 1 - Bedford Hills

Snorkel 2 - Verplanck

Snorkel 3 - Mount Vernon

Snorkel 4 - Scarsdale

Then there were the Snorkel TeleSquirts:

TS 1 - Fairview

TS 2 - Millwood(E245)

TS 3 - Mohegan

Only Millwood is still in service, soon to be replaced with a Sutphen 70'.

jack you googled while I was typing in.lol

Edited by SteveOFD
FF398 likes this

I went to this job, we sent snorkel, rescue and deputy, we got there early on and that thing spread across very fast.

Tough night for Newro, but like always they did a great job.

Great video R1Smokeeater! Thanks for the memories. I lived on Centre Ave. when this fire occurred, yeah I was a buff boy that night.....

Great video R1Smokeeater! Thanks for the memories. I lived on Centre Ave. when this fire occurred, yeah I was a buff boy that night.....

I was there to. Just got off probation. Those rubber boots didn't help at all with the cold. We were sitting on deck guns on Main St. for hours getting pound by the over spray of the master streams on North Ave.

We looked like ice sickles.

Awesome photos and videos R1SmokeEater, especially the ones w/the old Tower Ladder 11 and the Vern's old Snorkel in action. Also, a fantastic job by New Roc's Bravest! It looked pretty darn cold out there.

Like I have said in the past, that Old Mount Vernon FD Snorkel was a real workhorse piece of apparatus in its day. (Hard to drive around the narrow streets in Mount Vernon, but what a great unit to have during big fires. FDMV Snorkel 1 had seen allot of action during its lifetime in Mount Vernon I think it even was at the Historic Fanny Farmer Fire, but I can't be too sure)

Awesome photos and videos R1SmokeEater, especially the ones w/the old Tower Ladder 11 and the Vern's old Snorkel in action. Also, a fantastic job by New Roc's Bravest! It looked pretty darn cold out there.

Love the gear back in "the day"......if you were a fireman...you wore black boots...black coats with yellow Reflexite..and a New Yorker....there was no mistaking a fireman back then...not like us in our multi colored, multi striped "prima donna" gear we have now!