Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon Running With Only ONE Truck Company

49 posts in this topic

I just learned that Mount Vernon has been running with only ONE truck company since Sunday! I am shocked. I really can't believe that things just continue to get worse....it's really like nobody cares about these guys.

Ladder 2 (1998 Seagrave 100' RM with problems of its own) is the ONLY truck company in service to the entire City Of Mount Vernon right now, running out of Station 3.

Ladder 3 is out of service, for mechanical reasons. For those keeping count, that's the very worn out E-One RM Tower. The "new" Seagrave Aerialscope, and the 1970 ex-West Harrison Mack Aerialscope, are also both out of service for mechanical reasons. Mount Vernon FD does not have any spares to put into service.

For those that don't know, Mount Vernon FD has one, way overworked mechanic who has basically no budget. To my knowledge, nobody from FDMV has requested to borrow a spare truck, or looked into renting one. They no longer have the spare rescue, which could have at least been run as a city-service ladder. So, no idea when the situation will be rectified, and as always, lives are at stake for no comprehendable reason.

The mutual aid companies that frequent Mount Vernon and 60 Control should keep in mind they're now the 2nd due truck companies to Mount Vernon, no longer the third due truck.

I can't believe that stories like this continue to come out of MV- when will it end?

What about loaning NRFD Ex Ladder 14, the Old Ex Yonkers FD Ladder 78 to Mount Vernon?

Does anybody know if FDMV got their 2nd truck back in service yet? Just wondering where my weekend will be spent. :rolleyes:

Starting to wonder where my weekend will be spent too FirNaTine?? I hopes its at the pool and not in the Vernon!!

Battalion 18

Well Ill add my 2 cents ( I havent been in trouble for awhile )

Ive been on vaca so I only know what I was told, L-3 Hyd. problem, L-2 has sensors screaming in the cab but its OK, so the bosses say. I really no longer care what this circle jerk place does, its all done with mirrors any way. When we note a problem, were complaining, when we ask for spare equipment they send us to the garbage hep, our own guys no longer say boo on anything because their being lead down a dangerous road by incompatent leadership.

Houses closed

rigs a mess

NO spare equipment

Morale= 0

But if asked everything is OK

I cant understand how New Rochelle does it, time after time.

I and most on this job love it for what it is ,a nobel and awsome job, gives a person a sense of worth, what is going on in the zoo is killing us and because of troubling divides we cant see the place for what it is, a terrible accident waiting to happen.

Jloftus

L-2

Starting to wonder where my weekend will be spent too FirNaTine?? I hopes its at the pool and not in the Vernon!!

Battalion 18

WF - On the way down maybe stop at the Hess Sta. - Large with Milk and Sugar

This is unreal. Someone is gonna die, and it is gonna be one of the brothers! How things like this can happen over and over in that department, and nobody gets in any hot water over it is beyond me.

What about loaning NRFD Ex Ladder 14, the Old Ex Yonkers FD Ladder 78 to Mount Vernon?

true it was there for some time in new rochelle but not anymore. it is back in yonkers. new rochelle has a new L14 .... the old L12

I can sympathize with MVFD. Our Dept. just went through a spell where our #1 Engine AND Spare were down. We had to resort to borrowing from another town to cover calls. The Town had been told for a while about the possibility of that scenario. And they ignored it. Luckily, the budget passed and the FD somehow found funding for one new engine and one used one. We'll have to wait and see what pans out.

It's amazing what a little negative publicity will provoke a Town Govt. to do, lol.

Edited by FyrFytr998

true it was there for some time in new rochelle but not anymore. it is back in yonkers. new rochelle has a new L14 .... the old L12

Then why not ask YFD Leadership to borrow one of their spares or a neighboring Dept.? What's the worst they can say, No. We all have no problem running over there on m/a time and time again to help out. What's the difference.

Yonkers has Spare Ladders 76, 78, and 79 along with Spare TL 77 (not counting the Old Spare Ladder 78 that was on loan to NRFD). I am sure that YFD can afford to lend out 1 of these to FDMV

This is a shame....I'd really like to know what's going on in the Vern....

Why can't the 3rd largest city in the county, (8th largest statewide) get it right?

Who is the Commissioner? and what fire-department credentials does the Deputy Commissioner bring to the table?

This is a shame....I'd really like to know what's going on in the Vern....

Why can't the 3rd largest city in the county, (8th largest statewide) get it right?

Who is the Commissioner? and what fire-department credentials does the Deputy Commissioner bring to the table?

Commissioner was fired, Deputy Commissioner? Her background is basically in the military. Has Chief Everett ever gone to bat for the men of FDMV? New Rigs, additional manpower and funding is critically needed to bring FDMV to "minimal" levals of fire protection needed for the 7th largest city in NYS. State and Federal Politicians need to step in and provide funding and support for FDMV that is critically needed. Use the money that the Feds are giving another city in westchester for extras. Its like driving a fleet of Sea Ray Cabin Cruisers alongside a "sinking" dingy and doing nothing about it. REGIONALIZATION IS THE ANSWER (INCLUDING NEW ROCHELE AND YONKERS)

Its like driving a fleet of Sea Ray Cabin Cruisers alongside a "sinking" dingy and doing nothing about it.

Not sure I understand the analogy you are trying to make here?

Sea Ray Cabin Cruisers are junk.

REGIONALIZATION IS THE ANSWER (INCLUDING NEW ROCHELE AND YONKERS)

New Rochelle can for the most part handle their own and Yonkers definitely doesn't need to regionalize, neither should FDMV. The City Fathers need to step up and fix the problem and not depend on other municipalities to constantly bail them out. You want to regionalize, regionalize the smaller Volunteer and Combo Depts. that only have paid Chauffers. Regionalize Eastchester/Scarsdale; Pelham/Pelham Manor; Town of Mamaroneck/Larchmont and Rye/Rye Brook/Harrison/Port Chester. No reason a City like MT.Vernon should have to Regionalize. Enough already!

FDMV to "minimal" levals of fire protection needed for the 7th largest city in NYS.

New Rochelle is #7

1) NYC - 8,008,000+ (8,214,426 estimate as of 2006)

2) Buffalo - 292, 648 (276,059 estimate as of 2006)

3) Rochester - 219,773 (208,123 estimate as of 2006)

4) Yonkers - 196,086 (197,852 estimate as of 2006)

5) Syracuse - 147,306 (140,658 estimate as of 2006)

6) Albany - 95,658 (93,963 estimate as of 2006)

7) New Rochelle - 72,182 (73,446 estimate as of 2006)

8) Mt - Vernon - 68, 341 (68,395 estimate as of 2006)

9) Schenectady - 61,821 (61,560 estimate as of 2006)

10) Utica - 60,651 (59,082 estimate as of 2006)

11) Niagra Falls - 55,593 (52,326 estimate as of 2006)

12) White Plains - 53,077 (57,081 estimate as of 2006)

Based on 2000 US Census

As I have mentioned in the past,one of the busiest depts in the area and many discrepencies daily - Bring in the outside firm to investigate the depts deficient operations and correct them before somebody gets killed!!! When you have a $800,000 truck sitting in the firehouse and not in service somebody needs to take charge and rectify the problem and get the damn thing in service!!!

Edited by hudson144

As I have mentioned in the past,one of the busiest depts in the area and many discrepencies daily - Bring in the outside firm to investigate the depts deficient operations and correct them before somebody gets killed!!!

What outside firm?

There are consultants who will come in and perform studies, but those are based on what the hiring party (read the city) want. If they want a true evaluation or they want a cover up, its all up to how a consultant is hired.

There are no governmental reviews for fire service in NYS. Some financial, hiring and safety components are covered, but not what is needed here.

New Rochelle can for the most part handle their own and Yonkers definitely doesn't need to regionalize, neither should FDMV. The City Fathers need to step up and fix the problem and not depend on other municipalities to constantly bail them out. You want to regionalize, regionalize the smaller Volunteer and Combo Depts. that only have paid Chauffers. Regionalize Eastchester/Scarsdale; Pelham/Pelham Manor; Town of Mamaroneck/Larchmont and Rye/Rye Brook/Harrison/Port Chester. No reason a City like MT.Vernon should have to Regionalize. Enough already!
PAID CHAUFFERS those are fighting words, and I am ready anytime you are. Oh thats right I only drive, the fire goes out when I park on it.

PAID CHAUFFERS those are fighting words, and I am ready anytime you are. Oh thats right I only drive, the fire goes out when I park on it.

PCFD ENG58...I understand your rise in blood pressure. I think most of the guys that are on the job in any one of the departments around here don't fully understand the workings of the other departments. Most career FF think they know how it is in other departments, but they don't. Some quotes today were 'how does NRFD do it', 'what is going on in the vern', 'regionalization is the answer'. Until everyone understands how every department operates and the particular problems, hazards, demographics, etc, a department faces, you will get these comments. If every one will keep an open mind and be willing to see the other side, and they just maybe might learn something.

Capt Nechis has been a very valuable resource in getting the right info out in these forums. I think he has educated many of us as to how things are now and where they can be 1 year, 5 years and 10 years from now.

Don't be mad, they know not what they say......

PCFD ENG58...I understand your rise in blood pressure. I think most of the guys that are on the job in any one of the departments around here don't fully understand the workings of the other departments. Most career FF think they know how it is in other departments, but they don't. Some quotes today were 'how does NRFD do it', 'what is going on in the vern', 'regionalization is the answer'. Until everyone understands how every department operates and the particular problems, hazards, demographics, etc, a department faces, you will get these comments. If every one will keep an open mind and be willing to see the other side, and they just maybe might learn something.

Capt Nechis has been a very valuable resource in getting the right info out in these forums. I think he has educated many of us as to how things are now and where they can be 1 year, 5 years and 10 years from now.

Don't be mad, they know not what they say......

Thanks Mark

Some really good discussion on this important topic. maybe there is no real long term answer for "the vern" but one thing is clear. FDMV was (not sure if they still are) down to only 1 ladder company, and Chief Everetta and the Administration should have or needs to step it up and ask other department in the county to loan FDMV a spare ladder truck. Yonkers FD comes to mind simply because, on paper, they have the spare equipment to lend to them.

PS - What happens to the men who were/are scheduled to work a Shift on Ladder 3 and only Ladder 2 is in service? Do they just sit in the station and not respond to calls? Do they not come in? Are they using Spare Engine 1 just so that manpower goes to each call (even though it is not the type of rig you want responding to a call)?

How can 1 department secure the funding to keep and maintain a Standard Fleet of 10 Engine Companies, 1 Squad Company, 4 Ladder Companies, 2 Tower Ladder Companies and a Rescue Company (with 1 Collapse Unit and 1 Foam Unit in reserve) as well as having 3 Spare Ladders, 1 Spare Tower Ladder, 1 Spare Rescue, 4 Spare Engine Companies and other Special Operations Apparatus and another can't get keep 4 Engine Companies, 2 Ladder Companies and 1 Rescue Company, with 1 Spare Ladder Company, 1 Spare Tower Ladder and 1 Spare Engine? The make up of these 2 cities are not that different, with major industry located in each city, as well as maintaining old residential dwellings. 1 city can get the funding and the other cannot.

As many many career and volunteer firefighters have said many times over on this site. God can only hope that it does not take a tragedy in Mount Vernon to bring attention to local, state and federal politicians that something is "wrong in the vern" I am sure that Insurance Agents are ready to pounce on the city should something horrific happen.

Hey E-58, too bad they have no idea about the amount of fire that you have seen in your career. You are not a driver but a true Firefighter, its in your blood!

Some really good discussion on this important topic. maybe there is no real long term answer for "the vern" but one thing is clear. FDMV was (not sure if they still are) down to only 1 ladder company, and Chief Everetta and the Administration should have or needs to step it up and ask other department in the county to loan FDMV a spare ladder truck. Yonkers FD comes to mind simply because, on paper, they have the spare equipment to lend to them.

PS - What happens to the men who were/are scheduled to work a Shift on Ladder 3 and only Ladder 2 is in service? Do they just sit in the station and not respond to calls? Do they not come in? Are they using Spare Engine 1 just so that manpower goes to each call (even though it is not the type of rig you want responding to a call)?

How can 1 department secure the funding to keep and maintain a Standard Fleet of 10 Engine Companies, 1 Squad Company, 4 Ladder Companies, 2 Tower Ladder Companies and a Rescue Company (with 1 Collapse Unit and 1 Foam Unit in reserve) as well as having 3 Spare Ladders, 1 Spare Tower Ladder, 1 Spare Rescue, 4 Spare Engine Companies and other Special Operations Apparatus and another can't get keep 4 Engine Companies, 2 Ladder Companies and 1 Rescue Company, with 1 Spare Ladder Company, 1 Spare Tower Ladder and 1 Spare Engine? The make up of these 2 cities are not that different, with major industry located in each city, as well as maintaining old residential dwellings. 1 city can get the funding and the other cannot.

As many many career and volunteer firefighters have said many times over on this site. God can only hope that it does not take a tragedy in Mount Vernon to bring attention to local, state and federal politicians that something is "wrong in the vern" I am sure that Insurance Agents are ready to pounce on the city should something horrific happen.

The problem is Mount Vernon has been grossly mismanaged on all levels of government for as far back as I can remember, and I'm sure probably a bit longer than that. Yonkers has always had a reputation as a corrupt town but it is a corrupt town where agendas are actually accomplished. While far fetched, I always thought the best thing for the residents of Mount Vernon, would be for it to be annexed by one of its more successful neighbors such as Yonkers or even NYC.

I would think they fill out the remainder of the rigs with the proper manpower like 4 and 4

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't think I'd hit a nerve. I guess I should have said Professional Career Firefighters, who are assigned as Motor Pump Operators and Ladder Co. Chauffers. Relax!

Just a reminder to all. This topic has been going good so far, but let's keep it professional please. Lets stay focused on the topic at hand.

It's all about the money.