Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Firehouses: What A Mess!

28 posts in this topic

This morning I read an article on the terribible conditions of the firehouses that the Dallas firefighters have to put up with. From raw sewage to mold etc. It reminds me of the conditions that we at FDMV have to put up with. Sta #1infested with mold/mildew or should I Quote "UNACCEPATABLE AMOUNTS OF MOLD AND BACTERIA", Station #4- The question remains-is the apparatus floor going to collapse into the basement? Possibly the 2nd firehouse to be shut down because of the hazards. Station #3- infested with mice who continue to patrol the kitchen and S*** all over the place. As employees we do not have to tolerate this and if you have a problem you need to be vocal and help correct the situation. firehouses are supposed to be our 2nd home,well I know how my home is and I know I wouldn't let conditions get out of hand the way some depts let their homes get-just a thought!

Ya think the County Health Department might be interested in testing a sample of droppings for the presence of Hantavirus?

This morning I read an article on the terribible conditions of the firehouses that the Dallas firefighters have to put up with. From raw sewage to mold etc. It reminds me of the conditions that we at FDMV have to put up with. Sta #1infested with mold/mildew or should I Quote "UNACCEPATABLE AMOUNTS OF MOLD AND BACTERIA", Station #4- The question remains-is the apparatus floor going to collapse into the basement? Possibly the 2nd firehouse to be shut down because of the hazards. Station #3- infested with mice who continue to patrol the kitchen and S*** all over the place. As employees we do not have to tolerate this and if you have a problem you need to be vocal and help correct the situation. firehouses are supposed to be our 2nd home,well I know how my home is and I know I wouldn't let conditions get out of hand the way some depts let their homes get-just a thought!

The amazing thing is, why are the employees (firefighters) even going into the building in the first place? They should refuse to enter the building until the conditions are abated. Another question is; where is the unions safety and health representative? They should be right on this with PESH or the appropriate agency that handles safety & health for workers.

How come the guys in the FD don't clean it? I am sure that there is some HOUSE DUTY that you do. Unless it is that dirty.

We had some problems in our station also, front section of the floor/ drains broke in. There was no support under the old floor (rebar). It had to be repalced with four rigs in the house. We also had a big mice issue...when they start wondering around all day and all night. thanks to god both issues were taken care of.

Station #3- infested with mice who continue to patrol the kitchen and S*** all over the place.

Why not get a cat? Probaly be more effective at remidiating the problem then the administration.

I agree with gamewell get the local/county health people involved also have the Local file a grievance about sanitary conditions in the stations. The other option is have the Mayor and council spend sometime in the station and perhaps hae a meal with the troops while mice are sharing it with them

QUOTE(hudson144 @ Jun 26 2008, 11:15 AM)

Station #3- infested with mice who continue to patrol the kitchen and S*** all over the place.

When we went on MA to ST#3 That was who greeted us at the aparatus floor,but this guys number was up!!!!! He was DOA Dead On Aparatus floor. LOL :P

How come the guys in the FD don't clean it? I am sure that there is some HOUSE DUTY that you do. Unless it is that dirty.

I don't think the problems being pointed out about the physical plant of the FDMV are a simple cleaning issue. Most fire stations are kept extremely neat and clean as you pointed out with "house duty."

Mold and mildew is an issue that occurs within walls and ceilings; away from the reach of ordinary house cleaning. It is also a serious health issue for members being exposed.

The deterioration of apparatus floors throughout Westchester County is a result of age, wear and tear, and the fact that modern apparatus are two to three times heavier than original old time apparatus the stations were designed to house. Sooner or later one of these stations in the County is going to suffer a catastrophic collapse.

Rodent infestation is also within the walls, behind cabinets and kitchen appliances. No matter how clean you keep a fire station, if it is located in an area where rodents are epidemic; there is little you can do to stop them from eventually finding their way in.

I like the idea of contacting the health department, filing complaints, grievences, etc. The FDMV, and Local 107 has a bevy of issues confronting them. I wish them the best in trying to get some of their problems solved.

All it takes is one phone call...

Why not get a cat? Probaly be more effective at remidiating the problem then the administration.

That would definitely solve the problem. It did in my station. We got a station cat 2 yrs. ago and haven't seen a rodent since, not to mention the money it saved on an exterminator that wasn't helping out much.

QUOTE(hudson144 @ Jun 26 2008, 11:15 AM)

When we went on MA to ST#3 That was who greeted us at the aparatus floor,but this guys number was up!!!!! He was DOA Dead On Aparatus floor. LOL :P

Was it a mouse or one of their members? :P:lol: Alot of drivebyes in that area.

Edited by FirNaTine

The kitchen was re done not to long ago by the members, the health dept would refer you to the building dept and not get involved. Its not a question of cleanliness basically the mice are there and even the exterminator isn't helping. I guess it could be worse,we could be dealing with RATS!

The rats are are at 470 on the second floor............

Edited by CPAGE

The amazing thing is, why are the employees (firefighters) even going into the building in the first place? They should refuse to enter the building until the conditions are abated. Another question is; where is the unions safety and health representative? They should be right on this with PESH or the appropriate agency that handles safety & health for workers.

As a firefighter, you can't just show up and refuse to work one day, that'd could be seen as a violation of Taylor law. You have to give the municipality a chance to provide a workplace for you at another location. If the municipality is dragging it's feet, that's when things get ugly.

As a firefighter, you can't just show up and refuse to work one day, that'd could be seen as a violation of Taylor law. You have to give the municipality a chance to provide a workplace for you at another location. If the municipality is dragging it's feet, that's when things get ugly.

Your not refusing to work, just refusing to go into an area which is potentially unsafe for humans. I believe your covered under PESH unless i'm mistaken, the Taylor Law pertains to Labor disputes. This would clearly be a safety issue and not labor dispute. No arbitrator in their right mind would sustain a discharge nor a charge against a group of people over a safety issue of that magnitude that was described in this thread. Of course it would help if the union got their act together and got their safety and health rep involved. Thats one of the reasons you pay dues and if they are sitting there doing nothing i think its a disgrace.

All it takes is one phone call...

To who? Ghostbusters?

I'm sure that everyone suffering with conditions such as MV or Dallas wishes it was as simple as a single phone call.

Your not refusing to work, just refusing to go into an area which is potentially unsafe for humans. I believe your covered under PESH unless i'm mistaken, the Taylor Law pertains to Labor disputes. This would clearly be a safety issue and not labor dispute. No arbitrator in their right mind would sustain a discharge nor a charge against a group of people over a safety issue of that magnitude that was described in this thread. Of course it would help if the union got their act together and got their safety and health rep involved. Thats one of the reasons you pay dues and if they are sitting there doing nothing i think its a disgrace.

If any Fire Dept. responded on an odor call and found CO of 400 ppm, they would deem the structure unsafe. They would not allow anyone inside until the problem is corrected and made safe. The mold and vermin kind of fall into the same area. Might not be as dramatic as CO in the building, but can be as unhealthy.

The mice and other vermin should not there. A good exterminator on a regular schedule should eliminate and prevent the return of them.

What is good for the general public should be good for those that protect the public.

Sure it would lower the S*** load, but then there would be dead mice all over the place (which im sure nobody would want to pick up, I wouldnt) and then they would have to deal with the smell and not only the possibility of diseases in the droppings, but now the diseases possibly coming from the dead carcass X (times) the amount of carcassas. Live mice are a big enough hazard as it is, dead mice would make the situation worse. Dont get the cat....Maybe when the problem is fixed, then the cat can maintain it.

;)

Edited by moosecfd368
use of unapropriate language

We have a cat but the mice are bigger than the cat! lol

To who? Ghostbusters?

I'm sure that everyone suffering with conditions such as MV or Dallas wishes it was as simple as a single phone call.

There is no one to call cause nobody cares!! Sad isn't it. And the mice are bigger than the cat...lol!

Heck, I think I know a way to kill a bird with two stones here (no puns...)

Get the cat. The cat eats the mice. Cat gets bigger. Cat suits up and rides as a 3rd man on the rig.

Everyone wins.

;)

Isn't Peekskill Station 2 (R134) closed due to rodents? I know R134 has been sharing a bed, I mean quarters, with E130 / 39M2.

It truly disgusts me that firefighters are expected to sleep in buildings like these, and there is little they can do about it.

Edited by Remember585

The cat RETIRED! Relieved of duty by a command decision of the Chief of the Dept. Meow!

Edited by hudson144

I think that is is terrible. We have people trying to protect or communities and save our lives, so they should be treated better. The state of texas should pay to have the mold removed and the rats exterminated.

Maybe down in Dallas they have that problem that can sometimes hit the south....right to work.....as for the brothers in MV.....I don't know....it seems like the city goverment is invincible or something....they can do no wrong and even if they did no one would be able to stop them.

Did anyone have the local Codes Enforcement Officer come take a look at the station? He/she can close the doors and put a nice red tag on the front until the health issues are dealt with, which would hopefully make the powers that be act a little faster, considering their firefighters are not allowed to access the equipment. Just a thought to help you out.

Hope it gets resolved!

Did anyone have the local Codes Enforcement Officer come take a look at the station? He/she can close the doors and put a nice red tag on the front until the health issues are dealt with, which would hopefully make the powers that be act a little faster, considering their firefighters are not allowed to access the equipment. Just a thought to help you out. Hope it gets resolved!

Moose, normally that would be a good idea, except the CEO(s) are currently under federal investigation & or indictment for a number of much more serious issues than whats going on in the FD. I don't think you will see them showing up anytime soon.

CEO(s) are currently under federal investigation & or indictment for a number of much more serious issues than whats going on in the FD. I don't think you will see them showing up anytime soon.

As Homer Simpson would say, "Doah!!!!"

:rolleyes: