Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester County DES's New Utilities

21 posts in this topic

These look AWESOME! Who staffs these when needed, and when/what do they respond on?

They even have Q's on the bumper!!! The only thing I don't like is that the lightbar is so far back...seems like there isn't a whole lot of front/response lighting.

Who outfitted these?

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/westchester.../utility_3.html

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/westchester...utility_76.html

Thanks to LFD171 and his awesome site for the photos!

I guess they followed the acronym KIS Seth. They're Keepin It Simple. :lol:

On Utility 76, there are AIR HORNS on top of the cab. Didn't NFPA 1901 outlaw this many years ago?

I also agree on the lightbar placement. A little too far back for being a forward lightbar.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

Those things are beasts and they are ugly...I thought they had pickups for towing stuff? Well...who drives them?

Link site blocked at work, can anyone post a pic? MFY's ugly post has me curious!

And in regards to the airhorns.....the horns in our bumpers dont work from all the road crap they get hit with....I am ALL for back to the roof with them!

As far as the chassis is concerned (GMC Kodiak). Does anyone know the pros/cons of using a Kodiak and other than Brewsters new source truck and what looks like Harrisons ambulances, has one used/bought the Kodiak for emergency services and what did you think.

As far as the chassis is concerned (GMC Kodiak). Does anyone know the pros/cons of using a Kodiak and other than Brewsters new source truck and what looks like Harrisons ambulances, has one used/bought the Kodiak for emergency services and what did you think.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, so maybe someone can fill me in. Why does Westchester DES have so much apparatus / vehicles? I just dont see the point if there are dozzens of local FD's. What are they trying to accomplish / what is the reason they are "building their fleet" ? It just seems more then strange to me?

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, so maybe someone can fill me in. Why does Westchester DES have so much apparatus / vehicles? I just dont see the point if there are dozzens of local FD's. What are they trying to accomplish / what is the reason they are "building their fleet" ? It just seems more then strange to me?

Yeah I agree the only time I hear grasslands fire brigade being dispatched is for a fire alarm at westhcester medical center and that's in Vallhalla anyway isn't it. I understand having specialized equpiment and trucks there such as the gators and hazmat trailers and all the teams trucks like hazmat and technical rescue but why does the fire training center need there own fire department?

Sounds like more Westchester taxpayer waste at its best.

or we had to do something with the money our lawmakers were able to get for homeland security and defense.

These look AWESOME! Who staffs these when needed, and when/what do they respond on?

They even have Q's on the bumper!!! The only thing I don't like is that the lightbar is so far back...seems like there isn't a whole lot of front/response lighting.

Who outfitted these?

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/westchester.../utility_3.html

http://public.fotki.com/lfd171/westchester...utility_76.html

Thanks to LFD171 and his awesome site for the photos!

they are nice truck and your right the lightbars are to far back

I have seem more than a few of these kind of trucks with lightbars that far back. I think I might have something to do with visibility and the light bar but I do not know as I have not seen these in person nor do I know everything about the Kodiak line.

I have seem more than a few of these kind of trucks with lightbars that far back. I think I might have something to do with visibility and the light bar but I do not know as I have not seen these in person nor do I know everything about the Kodiak line.

yeah but on our source truck the lightbar is kinda close to the front so I don't know what the deal is with these.

http://www.lakecarmelfd.org/trucks/1731.jpg

The main con is when they roll the roof collapses and crushes the occupants. NFPA 1901 committee is debating if commercial cabs should be phased out for this reason.

The main con is when they roll the roof collapses and crushes the occupants. NFPA 1901 committee is debating if commercial cabs should be phased out for this reason.

Nothing a PROPER EVOC class wouldn't prevent.

Mike

Nothing a PROPER EVOC class wouldn't prevent.

Mike

Then we can save a few bucks and remove seat belts, airbags, and the expenses surrounding special alloys and construction used to enhance crash protection. A simple steel box is much cheaper to make. Safest driver in the world can still get popped by some idiot who ran the light, intox, wrong way, swerved, lost control in bad weather, suffering a medical emergency, and on and on. There are many causes for vehicle accidents far and beyond reckless driving. POV tags one of these by the rear wheels and over it goes. So, no its not something an EVOC class can prevent.

I feel kind of stupid asking this, but what will these be used for?

The white utility...utility 76 will be used to pull the county trailers.

As for the red one, since it is marked "Fire Brigade", I would guess that it is for the Grasslands Fire Brigade and replacing the previous utility 3, a 1985 Chevy Van.

I have to join the band wagon on the county purchasing too much equipment. Yes these are great trucks but how about those dozen or so chevy colorados they just got as well as all the other large suv/s?

I feel kind of stupid asking this, but what will these be used for?

-Yea, What he said ! Glad my County taxes went up............

air horns are not allowed? didnt know that.

Os, they may look ugly but remember they can pull alot more then a pickup truck can. Those trucks are extreamly BAD A$$!!!

Great Photos by LFD.

Where is Engine 8 kept? For all the classes i have taken i have never seen it at the fire trainning center.

If You Live In Westchester And Your Taxes Have Doubled In The Last Ten (10) Years Look No Further Than Andy Spano Giving Free Reign To A Bunch Of ' BUFFS ' Currently Running Westchester County DES. They ARE Spending Your Tax Dollars Like Water While The Governor Pleads That There Is A Huge Deficit In The State Budget. It Is VERY SAD, Everybody At Westchester County DES Likes To Boast About Their New Equipment ( i.e. Field Comm, Haz-Mat Unit, Collapse Unit, etc. )

Not To Mention ALL The New Vehicles Driven By The Commissioner And Many Under Him. I Hope The Next Chief Of Westchester County DES Is Chosen From The Professional Rank Fire Officers Living In The County, Not Someone

Who Rubbed Elbows With The Rich And Famous In Port Chester/Rye/Rye Brook.