Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Who's Got the oldest Firehouse in Westchester ?

24 posts in this topic

The Old Centennial (Peekskill) firehouse got me thinking. Who has the oldest operating firehouse in Westchester County?.

Do any stations have brass poles in place. What year was your building built? Was your firehouse moved from another location?

I know the old Ardsley Firehouse was a school a gazzilion years ago. Share some information about "the Barn." Thanks.

While probably not the oldest, Rye Fire Headquarters on Locust Avenue was originally completed in 1908.

From our department history...

In 1907, Mrs. William Parsons offered a piece of land on Locust Ave to act as the Headquarters for the Department. Upon receipt of the land the taxpayers approved $40,000 to build the headquarters. The building was state of the art including an auditorium, two meeting rooms, engine room, and stables to accommodate six horses. The house had the latest in technology including ridged concrete flooring designed to keep the horses from slipping as they started to pull the heavy fire engine.

...that ridged concrete flooring was still in place until the 2005-2007 renovations. Other than a brand new high-strength concrete floor these renovations included updating the entire building to comply with OSHA, NFPA and ADA standards. Special attention was paid to making the career staff's quarters more livable. The original look of the "auditorium" (now the George Ballantoni Memorial Hall) was restored and an elevator was installed. One notable side-effect of these renovations is that Headquarters can now house only 3 vehicles (Currently E191, L25 and L26) whereas previously there was also room for E193. Luckily, when the Milton Firehouse was renovated earlier in the decade, its apparatus bay capacity was expanded to allow 4 vehicles to fit comfortably.

Do any stations have brass poles in place.

The only station I've seen with a brass pole was... damn, can't remember if it was Pelham or Pelham Manor. Hadn't been used for years, but it was still there.

Mike

Well I'm not in Westchester but we do still have a brass pole. What makes our pole interesting is not that we have it, but that when our Firehouse was built in 1963 (yes it is that new) the second floor was an unfinished attic. When it was finished in the 1980's the members wanted a pole. Stamford FD was tearing down to old 3 Company on the west side and replacing it with a single story station, so they did not need the pole, and we were able to get it. I have heard that it was to tall and that a piece had to be cut off to make it fit.

Now the funny part about this, is a retired firefighter from Stamford wrote a book a few years ago about his time at 3 Company. I've known him and his family since I was a little kid and when he came up to take pictures for the book, I ran into him again. He was going to go to 1 Company because they had a newer pole and he wanted a picture of a pole similar to the one he slid. I was able to remind him that I could do better than that and get him a picture of the actual pole that he slid. That photo and one of our gear hanging on the wall made it into his book.

Do any stations have brass poles in place. What year was your building built?

My old firehouse, Daniel P. Hays Hose Co in Pleasantville still has the pole but it is not used. The house was built in 1927 and alot has been done to preserve as much as it's original look.

what about that firehouse in sleepy hollow? i think it houses rescue or engine 86. the firehouse is apart of the villages historical society. the upstairs still has some original furniture and even opening the bay door (swing open, barn style) must still be opened manually...t's not exactly a simple process.

maybe a shfd member can tell us how old it is.

Hastings on Hudson's Protection Engien 44 fire house was built in 1876 and still in use today.

My old firehouse, Daniel P. Hays Hose Co in Pleasantville still has the pole but it is not used. The house was built in 1927 and alot has been done to preserve as much as it's original look.

Hays Hose is one of the nicest fire stations in the state. If you ever get the chance to visit it, by all means do so.

Peekskill's Cortlandt Hook & Ladder still has a brass pole which is still used the building was built somewhere around the 1800's RWC130 might be able to help with the year im not to sure.

By actual physical age or by mentality?

By actual physical age or by mentality?

You could actually measure by both where we're from ALS! LOL

You said it dude not me...but I'll get blamed for it anyway I'm sure...lol.

The Old Centennial (Peekskill) firehouse got me thinking. Who has the oldest operating firehouse in Westchester County?.

Do any stations have brass poles in place. What year was your building built? Was your firehouse moved from another location?

While not the oldest, Yonkers' Station 6 is up there. YFD Station 6

Constructed in 1901, it has a classic façade. During a renovation in '62 the brass poles in 2 locations were removed and aluminum poles were substituted.

There are brass poles in Stations 1 and 12 - I'm not sure whether they're still in any others.

Edited by batt2

If my memory is working both Oak Street and South Fulton fire houses in Mt Vernon both had poles. Don't know if they are still there or in use even. Also Oak street was the early 1900's. Pre 1910. Dadbo correct me if I am wrong.

If my memory is working both Oak Street and South Fulton fire houses in Mt Vernon both had poles. Don't know if they are still there or in use even. Also Oak street was the early 1900's. Pre 1910. Dadbo correct me if I am wrong.

Are there poles in those trailers FDMV is using?!

Not sure how old it is, but our Grand Street firehouse was the original Croton Schoolhouse.... around the turn of the century I think...

Maybe xchief2x knows when it was built and can chime in.

I could be wrong, but i think Sta 1 in New Rochelle has brass poles... At least it looked brass last time I walked by it to wash the ambulance!

Where the old Hendrick Hudson libary used to be was the old montrose fd. Not sure when it was built. Maybe chiefmcfuzzy can help out or Hudson.

I could be wrong, but i think Sta 1 in New Rochelle has brass poles... At least it looked brass last time I walked by it to wash the ambulance!

Sta. 1 has 2 brass poles (1962)

Sta. 2 Has 1 (3 others were removed prior to the mid 1980's) (1922)

Sta. 3's were removed prior to 1987 (1910)

Sta. 4's were removed prior to 1987 (1911)

Sta. 5 is a ranch (1962)

what about that firehouse in sleepy hollow? i think it houses rescue or engine 86. the firehouse is apart of the villages historical society. the upstairs still has some original furniture and even opening the bay door (swing open, barn style) must still be opened manually...t's not exactly a simple process.

maybe a shfd member can tell us how old it is.

that would be en85,s qts not eng-86.

eng-85 qts around 1920,s ??

I believe Ardsleys old fire house pre demolition was an old school house. Not sure what year it was built in someone in Ardsley maybe able to help.

Sorry John, can't help you with that one. Believe it or not it was a firehouse when I was born, maybe we can check withour dept historian he might know.

Sorry John, can't help you with that one. Believe it or not it was a firehouse when I was born, maybe we can check withour dept historian he might know.

Hastings L22 building was built in 1863 & is still in use. No brass poles

Hastings L22 building was built in 1863 & is still in use. No brass poles

That was as well a school house prior to being a fire house, Are we seeing who has the oldest building thats now a fire house or oldest firehouse from time of construction?