Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

New Haven Firefighter Carjacked Going to Work

23 posts in this topic

This literally occured right outside my apartment building... 2nd carjacking in a few months in this area. Good thing I drive a piece of crap 93' Ford Exploder! Best of luck to the LT, and I hope they find your car soon.

There is a lot to be said for carrying a legal, licensed handgun today.

I agree 100%

Is the Brother OK? Its unfortunate for our neighbors to the East that NYS will not issue permits to carry a gun to non-residents. Ct on the other hand will issue them to residents of NYS.

I 2nd that!

One of the comments on the article reads.....

"I think it's time for FF & other 1st responders start carrying glocks.... Lock n Load"

I know we have discussed the 2nd amendment and how it is interpreted, and I doubt that carrying guns as firefighters or EMS would be feasible or for that matter, safe. Not to open a can of worms or take the thread off track, but what does everyone think about this? On another topic, how many members hold CCW permits and exercise that privilege?

One of the comments on the article reads.....

I know we have discussed the 2nd amendment and how it is interpreted, and I doubt that carrying guns as firefighters or EMS would be feasible or for that matter, safe. Not to open a can of worms or take the thread off track, but what does everyone think about this? On another topic, how many members hold CCW permits and exercise that privilege?

1. I support the 2nd along with all the rest.

2. I don't have any kind of pistol permit but I intend to obtain one.

3. AFAIK you don't get a full carry permit in Westchester without a good business reason?

4. The very LAST thing I want is for anyone to get any notion about FD and EMS being some kind of armed service. That's NOT what we're about!

Mike

Back on topic, the LTs car was recovered at a Senior complex in New Haven today. No word on whether his gear was in it.

I am a strong supporter of the right to bear arms. I feel we have a right to protect ourselves and our families.

Back on topic, the LTs car was recovered at a Senior complex in New Haven today. No word on whether his gear was in it.

I protect my assets with a Connecticut Permit to carry. I hold a few Insurance policy's in my house. You have the Glock Protection, The Smith & Wesson policy and the extended coverage for the bedroom the shotgun. There is more insurance in the safe. You can't carry enough Insurance these day's.

I protect my assets with a Connecticut Permit to carry. I hold a few Insurance policy's in my house. You have the Glock Protection, The Smith & Wesson policy and the extended coverage for the bedroom the shotgun. There is more insurance in the safe. You can't carry enough Insurance these day's.

Too much insurance is not a bad thing. The old lady wanted an alarm, I bought her a 12 gauge with pistol grip, shells alternate, 00, slug. Shoot him once with 00 then roll him over and hit him with the slug! A dead man can not testify!

Edited by roofsopen

Glad to hear the Lt. is ok and his car was recovered. This had to be a very emotional and scary thing to go through. Here is a man who has spent his career helping those in need and risking his life for the City of New Haven.

F-ING Skells, never seize to amaze me!

I am 100% for the right to keep and bear arms. Should everyone carry a firearm, no. Should responsible, law abiding citizens be able to protect themselves and their families with a firearm? Absolutely! I own a few long guns and am in the process of specing out a good home-defense 12-gauge (probably a Remington 870). People have this notion that they are always safe in their little communities. Let me tell you, crime can happen anywhere, anytime.

I spent the weekend in Vermont...great place for pro-gunners, let me tell you! I went to a few gun shops with my soon to be father-in-law and i handled several handguns without question. I was also using his Hi-Point 40. Cal. for some target practice right in the back yard, no problems there either lol. While i am for certain gun laws, they can be a bit overbearing.

Lad45der...to funny bro, great insurance policy man! That is why my fiance knows how to handle and shoot my guns and why she is currently awaiting her NYS pistol license, as am i.

If Lt. Harris had a firearm, would it have made a bit of difference in his carjacking incident? Who knows. It would depend on many factors, which at the least would be his firearms training.

Good luck getting a pistol permit to carry in Westchester. Its a joke that all the crime that is there and they have the gall to tell their residents they cannot carry!

OK fellas and gals reading here, let’s stay on the topic. I posted this to let you all know that one of our brothers was carjacked, not to start a discussion about carrying a weapon and 2nd Amendment rights (which I'm a full supporter and "from my cold dead hands!" for the record). That should be started in another topic, not here.

This could happen anywhere now whether in an urban or suburban area. Also this incident happened not far from a school zone if I am not mistaken. Instead of worrying if we should be carrying a gun, don’t you all think we should be talking and discussing more about how to prevent such an occurrence and how not to make us a target of a creakhead carjacker????? Maybe first by locking our doors, we all have cell phones maybe driving off quickly and calling for help?

OK fellas and gals reading here, let’s stay on the topic. I posted this to let you all know that one of our brothers was carjacked, not to start a discussion about carrying a weapon and 2nd Amendment rights (which I'm a full supporter and "from my cold dead hands!" for the record). That should be started in another topic, not here.

This could happen anywhere now whether in an urban or suburban area. Also this incident happened not far from a school zone if I am not mistaken. Instead of worrying if we should be carrying a gun, don’t you all think we should be talking and discussing more about how to prevent such an occurrence and how not to make us a target of a creakhead carjacker????? Maybe first by locking our doors, we all have cell phones maybe driving off quickly and calling for help?

I thought that was what we were doing, no?

Had this "victim", regardless of employment, been carrying a legal firearm, I can guarentee you it would have had a different outcome. Did it turn out this time - yep...he got away safe, and later got his car back...BUT...what if he was driving and had an infant in the back seat? Would the carjacker be nice enough to let him unbuckle his kid and remove them? I bet not...

Would the carjacker be on the recieving end of some "horizontal ventilation"? YOU FRIGGING BET!

I thought that was what we were doing, no?

Had this "victim", regardless of employment, been carrying a legal firearm, I can guarentee you it would have had a different outcome. Did it turn out this time - yep...he got away safe, and later got his car back...BUT...what if he was driving and had an infant in the back seat? Would the carjacker be nice enough to let him unbuckle his kid and remove them? I bet not...

Would the carjacker be on the recieving end of some "horizontal ventilation"? YOU FRIGGING BET!

But you know what, knowing the area, having grown up in the area and knowing the dregs of society that live take up space and make the good people live there in fear you really think if you had a gun, while sitting in your car, having someone point a gun at your face, you think you would have had time to pull out your weapon before the perp shot you in the head or face?????? I highly doubt that pilgrim! He would have seen you try and reach for something and popped you in the head.

As a gun owner people have to stop living in a fantasy world thinking a gun is going to get you out of any trouble. Yah it might scare off a person but if the perp is determined especially if its a gang member who J.D.G.A.F., he is going to do what ever it takes to get your car. If I see a person pulling a fire arm, what is my instinct, protect myself. What do you think the perp would have done in that situation? 2 + 2 is four folks. Until you realize the responsibility and own a gun, don't make assumptions and live in a fantasy world, it not all Hollywood.

First thing is don't make yourself a target.

Look, I'm not gonna get into a pissing match with am Admin...... :rolleyes:

But realize when speaking here, you are speaking to mostly public safety professionals with a clue...maybe not all sharpshooting marksmen, but enough to know when to do the "fight or flight" routine.

If it were me, by myself..and you want my truck that bad...by ALL means take it! Please wreck it, but do it good...I want a shiny new one..

If my kids are in the back, not visible because of the tinted glass and you try to boost my s***...I have no problem TRYING my best to protect them.

There are techniques that allow you a fighting chance to get your firearm out and deployed quickly and effectively while sitting in your car. If you travel in bad areas, it would behoove you to learn, and practice them. They may just save your life.

Self defense starts with good situational awareness. We can get very comfortable on the same ol' drive to work each day. Always leave room in front of you to maneuver around and away (if you can) and be aware of who is around you at all times.

This is a great reminder of the need for situational awareness at all times.

Hope the brother is doing ok!

Well said x134! Having grown up in the New Haven area myself, I can affirm Izzy, that he was not in the best section of town, and while our brother definitely did not deserve to get car-jacked, the best advice is to always be alert, and have a way out. Additionally, a strong offense can sometimes be the best defense. Was the victim in work clothes? or was he in street clothes?

Bottom line is that property is replaceable by insurance, and if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way to get it. No possession is worth your life, but your life is valuable enough to be protected by any legal means.

If a legal handgun isn't an acceptable or realistic defense, then why Izzy did the Jewish Community in New Haven have armed neighborhood patrols last year? As long as people aren't going out looking for a fight, a handgun can be someone's best possible last line of defense.

Look, I'm not gonna get into a pissing match with am Admin...... :rolleyes:

Ah common, I promise not to ban ya!!! LOL Just joking of course. :P:lol:

Getting back to the seriousness:

Also trust me when I say I do respect you for your viewpoint but I disagree with you on somethings, so be it. What I don't like is how a lot of people just go off and say "if I had a gun I'd......." and Monday quarterback it. Hey if I was in the same situation and had a firearm on me and needed to protect my family then who knows what I would have done. I'm not in the position so how can I react, but there are also other alternatives as well. First and foremost is not to make yourself a target and secondly try and get yourself out of the situation before it happens.

The whole point of the original posting was let everyone know one of our brothers got into a bad situation and could have hurt him or cost him his life. Not what logistical tactics or "If I had a gun...." comments. Its not the point of the posting.

Also to answer mbendel36 question, it was only certain members of the Jewish Community who were at odds with the community policing around the Edgewood Avenue neighborhood. The group felt the need to carry their firearms while they performed their citizens patrol (many of who are well established business men in the city). Hey, the were legally licensed to carry so be it. The only reason it was brought to light was the fact they were wearing them outside of their coats, a little bit of a deterrent huh? I would say so and good for them. In CT you can carry a pistol and / or revolver concealed or unconcealed as long as you have a legal permit to carry. The only place where you do not need a permit is one's home or places of business owned by the carrier (with in reason). Also I'm not saying that a handgun is not a legal means of acceptable means of defense. Anyone who argues against that doesn't believe in our 2nd Amendment rights. And the reason they carried is not because of the crime there (though it really should have been their main reason for carrying in my opinion) but to make the NHPD chief wake up to the fact hey there are people running around in New Haven with guns by law abiding citizens to protect themselves because of the criminals that were taking up once again in Edgewood Park.

Unfortunately the topic went off base from the main point and turned into another issue. If you smart enough to pull a trigger, your smart enough to figure out something else too.

New Channel 8 reported that he did get his gear back. It was found in his car.