Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

1980's & 2008 Photos - 60 Control Console KED281

33 posts in this topic

Operator - Billy Watson working as the voice of 60 Control back in the 1980's

post-23-1222822726.jpg

wow-blast from the past! I can remember working there the night the FALN blew up the union carbide building down from the police academy.At that time there was no police academy and when the bomb blew the concussion came right up the hill. The door was open and I felt the blast. A crazy night for sure. Back then we had only one operator on duty. In many instances if a mutual aid fire was active a operator was called in on OT. Most of the time we logged fire calls throughout the county,called the depts for MVA's on the parkways/highways. The first FD in was Pound Ridge then many followed. Croton falls,goldens bridge ,south salem to mention a few. Over the years communications operator came and gone and was a stepping stone for many of us. Alot of laughs and yes a great place to meet many from all over. The nights were brutal staying awake.Eating no doze and drinkinf coca cola left your heart beating and it was tough because many times you were alone by yourself. Hudson--- #609 1983-1986

One of the first things you learned to do was to be able to repeat 46.26/46.14 to the 33.96 portable. This was necessary so when there was only one dispatcher on duty, you could run down the hall to the bathroom when nature called. #615 1986, # 545 1974-1986

Edited by LTNRFD

I first visited 60 Control in the area of 1987 or 1988. My Dad was Chief at the time (2081) and we were in the area, my sister had cut herself somehow and we stopped at 60 for some bandages or something. I am not positive, but I think 602 and 606 were working. Very cool memory.

Now, I am "one of them" since April 2002. In the short time I've been here, we've taken on many more responsibilities, handled thousands of calls, I've made many friends and have learned so much. There's been a lot of people here and gone in my little stint here, and I am sure I'll see more during my career.

Here's to all the 60 Control Dispatchers - past, present and future!

23:45 / 642 :lol:

LTNRFD-yes,and the garbage can was always available! lol

Twenty years before this topic date, we volunteered as dispatchers at Westchester County Fire Control, which was housed in a small office on the third floor of the White Plains Fire Headquarters.

We used a small radio base station, Dictaphone recorder and hand written log book. Our wall mounted status board consisted of tags for all county fire apparatus which were manually placed on hooks to show their status.

Our modern move was to the new Westchester County Parkway Police station at Hawthorne Circle, where an office was provided for Fire Control.

We sure have come a long way!

Maybe one day the salary structure will reflect the dedication of the dispatchers, their duties and responsibilites, and the vital role they play in the field of emergency response. Improved salary and benefits, including a 25 year retirement plan, not only reduces job turnover, but boosts morale.

Keep up the great work!

Maybe one day the salary structure will reflect the dedication of the dispatchers, their duties and responsibilites, and the vital role they play in the field of emergency response. Improved salary and benefits, including a 25 year retirement plan, not only reduces job turnover, but boosts morale.

Keep up the great work!

I second that.

Fairview FD (Greenburgh) Desk as it appeared in the 1970's to 80's. Automatic alarms received direct to HQ's.

post-23-1222898641.jpg

One of the first things you learned to do was to be able to repeat 46.26/46.14 to the 33.96 portable. This was necessary so when there was only one dispatcher on duty, you could run down the hall to the bathroom when nature called. #615 1986, # 545 1974-1986

You forgot to mention "Pray the phone does'nt ring" !!

#616 1986-1987

Edited by JAD622

Keep up the great work!

Well said Chief

:rolleyes:

This brings back memories. I rember how it was to move the large painted washers on the board which showed, who was were, who was out of service, etc. It sure made a difference when compouters were finally used. Also I learned how to use a lot of index cards

Disp # 509

Can any one take a picture of new set up console so we can compare to the old console for people who have not seen the inside of 60 control.

it is amazing how the time has changed in techonology.

THIS IS 2008 LT DESK

Which screen do you play 'Pong' on ?

Very Cool ....

I guess it cant be that hard if they let Munson play with it (it has to be on breakable) Just playing John but thanks for the clear up on what every screen does. VERY COOL Take the typing test next friday so maybe one day I will be setting behind one of those screens.

Now that is a supervisors desk. No stupid cartoons and newsclippings and stuffed animals on the desk. That looks truly professional.

Thanks for posting the current console. Very interesting , I'll stick to a pump panel instead.

Keep up the great work at DES.

dear god

You're not kidding. Counting this screen I am using to type on, I have 11 other computer screens at my desk alone. I use 6 of them during the course of the day. The rest is just window dressing as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, 420, what's wrong with a few clippings here and there?? I think it adds to the warmth of the place. Keeps it from looking so sterile.

Edited by JBE

You forgot to mention the mic. on the console--taken from White Castle

Just another PS to this, I am not a fan of these computer controlled radio consoles. They are incredibly touchy and I prefer the simpler press one button for this, another button for that, and boom done.

Tim..............any pics of "611"??

Spoke to 653 tonight. Very pleasant experience.

Spoke to 653 tonight. Very pleasant experience.

Still young and not jaded yet. Give em time.