Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
effd3918

Winter Storms 2008

108 posts in this topic

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK... SOUTHERN VERMONT... WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND NORTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

POTENTIAL LIQUID EQUIVALENT AMOUNTS OF PRECIPITATION COULD EXCEED 1 TO 2 INCHES. THIS COULD RESULT IN OVER 7 INCHES OF SNOW... OVER A HALF INCH OF ICE... OR MORE THAN AN INCH OF SLEET BY THE TIME THE STORM ENDS FRIDAY MORNING.

LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP IN THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S. WEDNESDAY NIGHT... AND TRACK NORTHEAST THURSDAY TO THE MID ATLANTIC REGION... THEN BY THURSDAY NIGHT ACROSS... OR JUST EAST OF NEW ENGLAND... EVENTUALLY INTO SOUTHEASTERN CANADA FRIDAY. THE LOW PRESSURE WILL RAPIDLY STRENGTHEN AS IT TRACKS NORTHEAST... AND DRAWS IN MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO AND GULF STREAM

BASED ON THE RANGE OF POSSIBLE TRACKS OF THE STORM... AND THE COLD AIR THAT WILL BE ENTRENCHED THROUGH MUCH OF THE DURATION OF THE STORM... HEAVY PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN. EVEN WITH THE LOW CONFIDENCE IN THE STORM TRACK... THE STORM IS ALREADY BEGINNING TO FORM IN THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND LOWER MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY. SO... THERE IS HIGH CONFIDENCE THAT A STRONG STORM WILL FORM AND TRACK SOMEWHERE THROUGH OR JUST OFFSHORE THE NORTHEASTERN U.S.

AT THIS TIME... THE BEST CHANCE FOR ALL SNOW EXISTS FROM THE ADIRONDACKS... WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY AND SCHOHARIE VALLEY... THROUGH THE LAKE GEORGE AND SARATOGA REGIONS TO THE SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT. THE BEST CHANCES FOR SIGNIFICANT ICE AND SLEET EXISTS FROM THE EASTERN CATSKILLS THROUGH THE MID HUDSON VALLEY... NORTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT AND SOUTHERN BERKSHIRES OF MASSACHUSETTS. THE NORTHERN CATSKILLS... CAPITAL DISTRICT... AND NORTHERN BERKSHIRES COULD SEE A MIX OF SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THIS STORM IS STILL VERY EARLY IN ITS DEVELOPMENT STAGES... AND THERE IS STILL A WIDE RANGE OF POSSIBLE STORM TRACKS... THAT COULD CHANGE THE EXPECTED PRECIPITATION TYPES FOR ALL REGIONS AS THE STORM GETS CLOSER. HOWEVER... IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL INTERESTS TO STAY UPDATED WITH THE LATEST WEATHER INFORMATION THROUGH THURSDAY. WHATEVER REGIONS DO GET IMPACTED WITH THE SNOW... FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET... THERE WILL LIKELY BE ENOUGH PRECIPITATION TO HAVE A MAJOR IMPACT ON TRAVEL AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGE TREES AND POWER LINES.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

.. WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK... SOUTHERN VERMONT... WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND NORTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

POTENTIAL LIQUID EQUIVALENT AMOUNTS OF PRECIPITATION COULD EXCEED 1 TO 2 INCHES. THIS COULD RESULT IN OVER 7 INCHES OF SNOW... OVER A HALF INCH OF ICE... OR MORE THAN AN INCH OF SLEET BY THE TIME THE STORM ENDS FRIDAY MORNING.

LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP IN THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S. WEDNESDAY NIGHT... AND TRACK NORTHEAST THURSDAY TO THE MID ATLANTIC REGION... THEN BY THURSDAY NIGHT ACROSS... OR JUST EAST OF NEW ENGLAND... EVENTUALLY INTO SOUTHEASTERN CANADA FRIDAY. THE LOW PRESSURE WILL RAPIDLY STRENGTHEN AS IT TRACKS NORTHEAST... AND DRAWS IN MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO AND GULF STREAM

BASED ON THE RANGE OF POSSIBLE TRACKS OF THE STORM... AND THE COLD AIR THAT WILL BE ENTRENCHED THROUGH MUCH OF THE DURATION OF THE STORM... HEAVY PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN. EVEN WITH THE LOW CONFIDENCE IN THE STORM TRACK... THE STORM IS ALREADY BEGINNING TO FORM IN THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND LOWER MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY. SO... THERE IS HIGH CONFIDENCE THAT A STRONG STORM WILL FORM AND TRACK SOMEWHERE THROUGH OR JUST OFFSHORE THE NORTHEASTERN U.S.

AT THIS TIME... THE BEST CHANCE FOR ALL SNOW EXISTS FROM THE ADIRONDACKS... WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY AND SCHOHARIE VALLEY... THROUGH THE LAKE GEORGE AND SARATOGA REGIONS TO THE SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT. THE BEST CHANCES FOR SIGNIFICANT ICE AND SLEET EXISTS FROM THE EASTERN CATSKILLS THROUGH THE MID HUDSON VALLEY... NORTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT AND SOUTHERN BERKSHIRES OF MASSACHUSETTS. THE NORTHERN CATSKILLS... CAPITAL DISTRICT... AND NORTHERN BERKSHIRES COULD SEE A MIX OF SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THIS STORM IS STILL VERY EARLY IN ITS DEVELOPMENT STAGES... AND THERE IS STILL A WIDE RANGE OF POSSIBLE STORM TRACKS... THAT COULD CHANGE THE EXPECTED PRECIPITATION TYPES FOR ALL REGIONS AS THE STORM GETS CLOSER. HOWEVER... IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL INTERESTS TO STAY UPDATED WITH THE LATEST WEATHER INFORMATION THROUGH THURSDAY. WHATEVER REGIONS DO GET IMPACTED WITH THE SNOW... FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET... THERE WILL LIKELY BE ENOUGH PRECIPITATION TO HAVE A MAJOR IMPACT ON TRAVEL AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGE TREES AND POWER LINES.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Whoo Hoo!!! You mean I might get to see some show when we come up on Friday?????

hummmm sounds like a great thursday morning...I gotta drive to buffalo in that weather :unsure:

Depends on who you watch or listen too. Local news says possible mix and sleet on Thurs. Which is just fine by me. I'm working a 24 and the driveway will be a chore if it sits there for a time until I get home to take care of it.

F*^k snow!

I guess time will tell but I'd rather have snow instead of ice ..........

Depends on who you watch or listen too. Local news says possible mix and sleet on Thurs. Which is just fine by me. I'm working a 24 and the driveway will be a chore if it sits there for a time until I get home to take care of it.

F*^k snow!

I Agree 100% with you!!

NO NO NO, No snow!!! especially not on saturday, I'm working waaaaay up in Rosendale on saturday... it will take me an hour to get to half the places we respond to from there, like to the butt-end of Kerhonkson..... :angry: It's a half hour ride COde 3 on a dry day!!!

I smell more MVA's.

Thomas

Same for Broome

BRING IT ON!!!

Cant wait to go to calls in that weather, Hopefully we get some LOL

From close to 60 to 7"+ in 24 hours, what's this Wisconsin?????

hell..I still have huge leaf piles on my grass! I hate snow!

Latest 5 day weather report for Poughkeepsie according to accuweather

High: 54 °F RealFeel®: 45 °F

Windy with rain

Wednesday Night, Dec 10

Low: 23 °F RealFeel®: 23 °F

Periods of snow and rain in the evening with little or no accumulation; plenty of clouds

Thursday, Dec 11

High: 37 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F

Mostly cloudy; a bit of ice in the morning, then afternoon rain

Thursday Night, Dec 11

Low: 30 °F RealFeel®: 26 °F

Rain mixing with, then changing to snow, accumulating an inch or two

Friday, Dec 12

High: 36 °F RealFeel®: 21 °F

Snow possible in the morning; otherwise, cloudy and windy

Friday Night, Dec 12

Low: 20 °F RealFeel®: 14 °F

Clearing

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Sounds like some nasty weather but it's good for skiing.

Not if it's ice.

F*^k snow!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*^k snow!

the forecast will probably change 3 times before morning <_<

I'll believe it when I see it!

I second that.

How many times in the past couple years have they screwed up the forcast.

Now how many of you think that the schools will all close on the forcast alone. :blink: :angry:

I foresee them closing school...just "in case"...they have already cancelled the winter pageant in Millbrook..

Awesome....my day off, cooped up with a sick infant and a rambunctious 6 year old! Boy are we gonna bug the s*** out of Mommy...

Good day to head to the basment with a case of Coors Light and play trains!

...ICE STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THURSDAY TO 1 PM

EST FRIDAY...

AN ICE STORM WARNING FOR SIGNIFICANT ICING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM

6 AM THURSDAY TO 1 PM EST FRIDAY.

SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST

CATSKILLS...THE MID HUDSON VALLEY...CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN

TACONICS...BERKSHIRE COUNTY AND LITCHFIELD COUNTY...WITH

GENERALLY ONE HALF TO ONE INCH OF ICING. SOME AREAS MAY RECEIVE

ONE AND A QUARTER INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION. THIS AMOUNT OF ICE

WOULD RESULT IN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS ROAD CONDITIONS...AS WELL AS

WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES.

A MIX OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WILL START THURSDAY MORNING...

BECOMING HEAVIER IN INTENSITY THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

THERE COULD BE SOME PLAIN RAIN MIXED IN DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS

ON THURSDAY ACROSS SOME OF THE WARMER VALLEY LOCATIONS...ALTHOUGH

MOST AREAS WILL EXPERIENCE ENTIRELY FROZEN PRECIPITATION FOR THE

DURATION OF THE STORM. FREEZING RAIN...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL FALL

ACROSS THE WARNING AREA THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING. THIS

IS THE TIME PERIOD WHEN THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ICING WILL OCCUR.

IN NORTHERN AREAS OF THE WARNING...SUCH AS GREENE...COLUMBIA...

AND NORTHERN BERKSHIRE COUNTY...SLEET WILL MIX IN AT TIMES. SOME

SLEET ACCUMULATION WILL OCCUR...IN ADDITION TO THE SIGNIFICANT

ICING DUE TO FREEZING RAIN. MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO

SNOW FRIDAY MORNING BEFORE ENDING...WITH A FEW INCHES OF SNOW

POSSIBLE IN ADDITION TO THE SIGNIFICANT ICING.

LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP IN THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S. TONIGHT...AND

TRACK NORTHEAST ON THURSDAY TO THE MID ATLANTIC REGION...ALONG A

STALLED FRONTAL BOUNDARY. THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING...

THE LOW WILL TRACK FROM ALONG THE NEW JERSEY COAST TO THE EASTERN

TIP OF LONG ISLAND...THEN TO MAINE BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE STORM

WILL DRAW PLENTY OF MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO...RESULTING

IN A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION.

AN ICE STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF ICE ACCUMULATIONS

WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY

DISCOURAGED. COMMERCE WILL LIKELY BE SEVERELY IMPACTED. IF YOU

MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR

VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. ICE ACCUMULATIONS AND WINDS WILL

LIKELY LEAD TO SNAPPED POWER LINES AND FALLING TREE BRANCHES THAT

ADD TO THE DANGER.

I foresee them closing school...just "in case"...they have already cancelled the winter pageant in Millbrook..

Awesome....my day off, cooped up with a sick infant and a rambunctious 6 year old! Boy are we gonna bug the s*** out of Mommy...

Good day to head to the basment with a case of Coors Light and play trains!

if you do the coors light you wont get to go to the calls Dan :rolleyes:

if you do the coors light you wont get to go to the calls Dan :rolleyes:

Family > Calls ;)

Cancelled the winter pagent due to winter weather? Hmmmmm What will they think of next, close the town beach because it's too hot? B)

Edited by EJS1810

Family > Calls ;)

calls> coors but yes i agree

Cancelled the winter pagent due to winter weather? Hmmmmm What will they think of next, close the town beach because it's too hot? B)

no cancel the ski trip because of snow

calls> coors but yes i agree

<_< Yes the COORS must roll. I will be in the blue an yellow for the next two day's!!!! :(

<_< Yes the COORS must roll. I will be in the blue an yellow for the next two day's!!!! :(

Do 343/44 from Dover to Pleasant Valley real well i have to work the next 2 nights :(

Do 343/44 from Dover to Pleasant Valley real well i have to work the next 2 nights :(

:( Sorry, 22 south to put county! :(