Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Engine1

EMT Bravo Muster Engine

29 posts in this topic

So I was giving this some thought and wanted to post it and get some responses. There are ALOT of members on here and I was wondering what the chances of us all chipping in and buying an EMT Bravo "Muster Engine" off ebay are? We could designate it the "official" EMT Bravo engine and it could show up to parades, Musters, maybe even training events, parties, etc? At the going rate, and based upon the number of members, it would probably only cost everyone $1 or $2 and we could get a decent engine off ebay. I'm sure we could find a local dept or member who would be willing to house the engine, and we could workout how it will be driven etc.

Maybe it can even be lent out to departments for mutual aid or as a reserve if their engine is down for PM.

Just an idea for thought.

I was thinking this would be better suited for the forum. :lol::lol:

Click Here

I have one in my attic....I will donate it ;)

I have one in my attic....I will donate it ;)

Sweet, Just need some decals. :lol:

This would be a lot harder to accomplish then you think. What about insurance? I wouldn't want to be involved with it being lent out to departments. Think about the liability if something happened. What about maintenance costs? who is going to pay for stuff like that. In my oppinnion this is just a pipe dream.

Fascinating idea but the thing that will probably prevent it from happening is liability and insurance requirements.

EMTBravo would have to insure it if it carried the corporate name and I don't think it could ever be used as a front line piece of apparatus for liability reasons - but hey, I'm just the grammar police. What do I know? :P

Posts #7 and #8 just about hit it on the head, totally forget about lending it out for an in service rig. I own 4 rigs and have owned old fire engines for 35 years. Insurance whon"t even let you ride anyone other then in a seat, risk who going to take it? plates who's name? repair's who's going to pay?. great idea, good thought, but no way! :blink:

Just Get A Suburban And Put EMTBravo On IT Put Some LIghts And Some Scanners in it. haha

After some thought I guess we could not lend it out to depts or put it in service, but i think it is still quite a do-able idea. It can simply respond to parades and parties and such. It can take as many passengers as there are "seats." Just a thought - It would bring EMTBravo to a whole new playing field.

I propose that we buy the following. It is a Mack / Baker Aerialscope and reasonably priced. We can even loan it out to other departments in need of a ladder if theirs is down, or being repaired, or if they are purchasing a new one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-MACK-C...ercialQ5fTrucks

Do you have any specific departments in mind?? ;)

If the insurance and liability issues could be sorted out - I think it is a pretty good idea. I'm not in favor of loaning it to other departments, but as a Muster Truck it would be perfect. That Mack/Baker would be GREAT! Always loved the look of those.

Question: If the truck was purchased outright (paid in full) - it would only need liability insurance, and not collision correct?

[edit] Also, would it have to be registered with DES as a tower-ladder / ladder / spare?

Edited by DonMoose

Are there even any muster around to take it to ? The only muster I know of is the Engine 260 muster and I think there is one on Long Island too.

It probably would only need liability insurance, and no, it wouldnt need to be registered with DES since it would be a privatly owned vehicle. I dont think insurance would be as much of an issue as it seems. I think there are alot of loop holes that we would see would make this more realistic then it seems. Also, The vehicle would say EMTBravo Muster Ladder or whatever, so it wouldnt actually say "fire dept" on it. Seth, what are your thoughts on the "muster Engine or muster ladder?"

:P

Also, would it have to be registered with DES as a tower-ladder / ladder / spare?

It would not be registered with DES or would DES allow it to be registered

as a privately owned Fire Apparatus.

It would just be for "Show" non-firefighting use.

I THINK A MUSTER OR PARADE TRUCK WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA!

If purchasing a Fire Apparatus due to Cost, Insurance, and Liability would make

things difficult we would always rent one for a day/event and put some kind of

"EMTBravo" sign/lettering on it.

This would have to be Seth's call.

Are there even any muster around to take it to ? The only muster I know of is the Engine 260 muster and I think there is one on Long Island too.

There's no shortage of musters, shows and parades around, if you don't mind a little road trip now and then.

As for the road trip part......anybody got a CDL? You need that, too.

Now I was wondering, Being that there were a few fires over the past day or two, if the Muster Engine was around, would any dept allow it to respond for assistance, eventhough its not officially registered? I know there was alot of discussion about calling FDNY for mutual aid with "border towns and villages". The Muster engine could have responded at least with additional supplies or to assist with pumping?

Could a private individual, not associated with any fire department, assist with his or her own muster engine, simply to lend a hand?

Just a thought

Could a private individual, not associated with any fire department, assist with his or her own muster engine, simply to lend a hand?

Due to LIABILITY reasons I would have to say NO.

Maybe LEGAL reasons too? TRAINING.

- OSHA?

- NFPA?

You have to be part of a Mutual Aid agreement

with that Town, Village, City.

I'm thinking the Good Samaritan law might cover them if they are acting in good faith and assisting. Much the same way during 911 how a private owner of one of the ex FDNY fire boats provided assistance by pumping with his private boat. A muster engine owner may be able to do the same, especially if the muster engine is of high quality and well maintained.

Engine1,

Just so we are on the "same page" do you want

to start up a Muster Team/Engine or a Private Fire Department?

LOL

EMT Bravo Muster Team Engine

Now I was wondering, Being that there were a few fires over the past day or two, if the Muster Engine was around, would any dept allow it to respond for assistance, eventhough its not officially registered? I know there was alot of discussion about calling FDNY for mutual aid with "border towns and villages". The Muster engine could have responded at least with additional supplies or to assist with pumping?

Just a thought

Engine 1 just solved the whole mutual aid problem, just drive the muster engine all over the county!!

is this the first april fools joke of the year????

I'm sure some of the boys would LOVE a rig to pull up and start packing hose for them. :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.

So I know its been a while since we spoke about this last, but with the summer coming, and parades and musters coming up, we should think again about the EMT Bravo Muster Engine. I know it would be a hit in the Mamaroneck Village Parade.

Any thoughts on the Muster Engine?