Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grumpy

Gasoline prices

21 posts in this topic

Any one have an idea why gas prices went up between ten to fifteen cents suddenly? ( Westchester Co.)

Israel invaded Gaza, pissed off all the Arab nations, so they are pawning their anger off on us, because Israel mostly uses American weapons and aircraft.

Fuel oil too is on an upward climb...I need to top off my tankS before it gets bad again!

Fuel oil too is on an upward climb...I need to top off my tankS before it gets bad again!

220.9 as of yesterday Dan not sure who you use 2 weeks ago it was under $2

220.9 as of yesterday Dan not sure who you use 2 weeks ago it was under $2

I told Bob to ignore the garden hose leading from taylor's to my basement! :P

This is all based on the instability in the middle east. Any time there has been trouble prices go up. Speculation about interuptions in supply.

Not to mention that the wonderful OPEC nations slowed production not once but twice, they were saying that it was costing more to produce then it was selling for on the open market.

I saw a news report a few weeks ago that said any price below $50/barrel is costing them money. They will continue to cut production until crude prices level off in the $50 range.

Edited by LAD19DER NY

All this crap over a BS sovereign nation the US created (basically flat out stealing the land from Palestinians) after WWII because we felt the world needed to do something to right the wrongs of the Nazi party. Israel is not even the size of Vermont and the Gaza strip is HALF the size of Putnam county, why the name of pete do we allow this to effect our pocketbooks (rhetorical question).I think the Pope and other Christian religions should stake a claim over there too because the area was the stomping ground of Jesus Christ as well. Then the US spinelessly abstains at the UN hearing when they vote on ordering a cease fire....

Seems like we should pay more for fuel over that right?

All this crap over a BS sovereign nation the US created (basically flat out stealing the land from Palestinians) after WWII because we felt the world needed to do something to right the wrongs of the Nazi party. Israel is not even the size of Vermont and the Gaza strip is HALF the size of Putnam county, why the name of pete do we allow this to effect our pocketbooks (rhetorical question).I think the Pope and other Christian religions should stake a claim over there too because the area was the stomping ground of Jesus Christ as well. Then the US spinelessly abstains at the UN hearing when they vote on ordering a cease fire....

"The stomping ground of Jesus Christ ?" Would you care to rephrase that ?

Actually the british created Israel

The British did, under the guise of the UN. But the US has unconditionally supported Israel since then. I personally believe its ridiculous. 23% of this nation's foreign aid goes to Israel, which is one of the wealthiest nations in the world. The fact that they require US weapons is a travesty. IMI (Israeli Military Industries) is one of the better military industrial complexes in the world, but you still see IDF forces using F16s, AH-1s, AH-64s, M16s, et cetera. I firmly believe that the Manhattan skyline would look significantly more developed today if the US didn't support Israel with all these weapons in the way that it does.

oil went back up to $ 50 dollars a barrel but then leveled off and backed down. At the Super Value on Tuckahoe Rd. in Yonkers, regular went from $ 1.81 up to 1.89 in a day and then back down to 1.83 the next day, I don't get it but it is what it is.

I just read some of the above posts regarding Israel and its creation, etc. What everyone needs to realize is that Israel is the only country on the arabian peninsula that is truly keeping Iran in check. these countries all want to destroy Israel but in reality they fear it. We need to support Israel in their fight against hamas and the PLO and the other muslim extremists because lets face it, they are not only enemies of Israel thay are our enemies too.

nice a history lesson as well as firefighting information :lol:

Israel is far from a wealthy nation. They get about 3 billion a year from the US, half economic and half military. They pick up another few hundred million a year in contributions from charities around the world. If the aid drys up Israel goes bye bye.

Regardless of wether or not you agree with Israel's policies concerning buffer zones, resettlement, and travel restrictions you can't knock their desire to stop terrorists from hurling rockets and mortars into their country. They abided by the cease fire even though the Palestinian government did little to stop the terrorists. We're leading two wars on foreign soil to stop terrorists that the in place government would not stop. How can we criticize them for doing the same thing? Did they provoke these attacks, thats an entirely different argument.

You also cannot blame Israel for the attacks on America. Israel is a convenient rallying cry for extremist muslims. They hate us for who we are and what we stand for. If it wasn't for Israel they'd find another reason to come after us. I'll be honest, I don't care what happens over there. Israel has screwed around and flexed their muscle as much as they could for years. Many of their policies at one time or another served little purpose than to inflame the Palestinians. The Palestinian people celebrated 9/11 in the streets, so I have hard time mourning their loses. I will never celebrate in the death of innocent civilians, but I can very easily not care.

Edited by ny10570

Crude is still something like 43 a barrel. Lack of demand is keeping the crude price down and OPEC can't do anything about it right now. What may be driving prices is Russia having shut down delivery to Europe in its ongoing spat with the Ukraine. With the price of oil down, Russia which is almost entirely an oil revenue based economy, is staggering.

While it is so much fun to blame the Arabs, consider that it is the American oil industry that reaps the windfall profits at our expense when prices spike. Exxon recently had profits of 11.7 billion a quarter... that's three months.... The US oil industry is more than happy to have us blaming the mid east for our problems as they haul our money to the bank.

Round those numbers... 12 billion for 3 months....... 4 billion a month......say just under a billion a week, and that's just one company........ damned Arabs.

Last night I bought gas at a station that a week ago was $1.80 and now $1.99

Basically it is the rise and fall of the barrel price that drives gas prices. However, as we all know, the price goes up much faster than it goes down.

Fuel oil for your home is another problem. The price is more closely tied to the barrel price. However, last spring when it was wholesaling for around $4/gal and they were predicting $5/gal for this heating season, a lot of people panicked. They pre-bought, they locked in prices, they bought price cap contracts, etc. The delivery companies had to buy contracts to ensure they could deliver what people were asking for. For a delivery company, a contract is 42,000 gals at a set price. Many companies bought these contracts at around $4/gal. Then the prices plummeted. When you have to sell oil that you paid $4 for, but can't charge that much, you also have to raise your margin on the oil that you buy at market price. This is why we are paying $2.50 +/- when the rack price has been as low as $1.35 recently. The rack price went up $.25/gal over New Years day and the following weekend.

I just drove the New Jersey Tpk. Gas is 1.52 in Fort Lee, 1.57 on the Tpk and 1.54 in Southern NJ.

Saw it was on the way back down. A local station was $2.04 Thursday, today it was back to $1.99