Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spyda308

Empress or Transcare?

53 posts in this topic

Ok, so I just finished my EMT class last month and am waiting for my results from the state. I want to jump right into a job, get some experience, get on the streets and see where it takes me(whatever that may be, paramedic, a department, etc.)

I did some research and found that really the only two private ambulance companies that see work are empress and transcare. so basically my question is which should I go for? I'm kind of partial towards empress because I'm from Yonkers and I did my ride alongs with them. What are the pros/cons of each? Also, I want to be as busy as possible. So if you could help me that would be greatly appriciated thanx.

Edited by spyda313

Ok, so I just finished my EMT class last month and am waiting for my results from the state. I want to jump right into a job, get some experience, get on the streets and see where it takes me(whatever that may be, paramedic, a department, etc.)

I did some research and found that really the only two private ambulance companies that see work are empress and transcare. so basically my question is which should I go for? I'm kind of partial towards empress because I'm from Yonkers and I did my ride alongs with them. What are the pros/cons of each? Also, I want to be as busy as possible. So if you could help me that would be greatly appriciated thanx.

Doesn't really matter, to be honest. With any commercial company you are going to have to put your time in - IE: running transports. After some of that they will let you play on the 911 side of things.

As far as being busy, if you work for a commercial you will always be busy - but not with just 911 jobs. Depending on where you work and the system you work in with a commercial you may do a combination of 911 and transports.

Never worked for either - but its the same stuff wherever you go, more or less from where i sit.

All that being as busy as possible stuff, that may change after a month or two :P

Edited by Goose

I would also look into Westchester EMS.

Doesn't really matter, to be honest. With any commercial company you are going to have to put your time in - IE: running transports. After some of that they will let you play on the 911 side of things.

As far as being busy, if you work for a commercial you will always be busy - but not with just 911 jobs. Depending on where you work and the system you work in with a commercial you may do a combination of 911 and transports.

Never worked for either - but its the same stuff wherever you go, more or less from where i sit.

All that being as busy as possible stuff, that may change after a month or two :P

Haha damn. what other good ems jobs are there then?

I would also look into Westchester EMS.

How are they? Do they run a ton of transports?

How are they? Do they run a ton of transports?

I've never worked for them, but I understand they do a lot of transports for White Plains and Phelps. They are also a not for profit.

Go with Hudson Valley Paramedics lol

Definitly a fan of WEMS. I worked for them for two years and it was a great company.

I worked for Empress several years ago,

currently I work for TransCare.

Both Empress and TransCare are good places to work.

You will get some great EMT experience.

I also deal a lot with Westchester EMS thru

another job and they are a good company too.

At the BLS level if you want to see some "911 Calls"

I would have to say go with Empress or TransCare.

Unless you have EMT experience you will have to put your time in doing

BLS Transports at both companies, Don't sweat it! We all did.

You might also want to consider joining a local VAC.

They always need the help and it looks great on a resume.

GOOD LUCK!

I wouldn't worry about doing transports. If you have the right attitude, you can really learn alot. Especially "emergency" calls from nursing homes. If you take the time to really do a thourough assessment and read the pt charts, you will learn a ton about physiology and pharmacology. Most of these pts have multiple diseases/illnesses, not to mention a 2 page med list.

Also, by the time the nursing home does call, it often is a true emergency.

I like the trauma stuff too, but dealing with the elderly especially will teach you about compassion and caring for the patient.

I assume you already volunteer somewhere. If not, volunteer a shift or two in a busy town.

I worked at Empress for a long time - it was the most fun, exciting, and busy place ever. There were transports - ALOT of them - but they are what you make of them - they are good to practice your vitals, etc....

I also did a tremendous amount of "hot jobs" there....the potential for disaster in Yonkers in huge..and that shows it's head every so often...

WEMS overwhelmingly does transports. If you're looking for emergency jobs, its not the place to go. That said, the working environment up there is going to be better than what you'll find elsewhere.

Transcare offers some good opportunity depending on how well you excel as an EMT. The thing is, based on the shifts you take, you'll probably end up only doing transports or only doing emergency calls. There are some notable exceptions but a clear separation generally exists. Transcare usually requires new EMT's to "put their time in" working transport shifts before they are allowed to apply for emergency shifts. It should also be noted that the emergency shifts are limited and frequently gobbled up by more experienced, senior EMT's. However, the turn over rate in EMS in this area is sufficiently high to give a new guy a chance.

Empress is unique compared to the others. A lot of people will tell you its a totally mixed system and that you'll do both emergencies and transports with each shift, but it depends on the shifts you pick up. Like Transcare, it depends on how well you excel. For the capable EMT who is willing to work hard, you can pick up ALS tours that rarely see transports. The pure BLS "Tac" shifts see a heavy mix of both. Likewise, some of the BLS Ambulance units see a heavy mix. Others (mostly Emergacare) will see very little to no regular 911.

A word about transports too, if you do get stuck doing them, make the best of it. They provide an exceptional opportunity to learn your pharmacology. This will only make you far more effective once you do advance to 911. A lot of people waste it, so my advice is not to be one of those guys. Read the paperwork front and back. Match ailments and illnesses to medications. Look up each term you are not familiar with. It pays off in the long run, especially if you decide to become a paramedic a few years down the road.

work for transcare you might work in new rochelle ;)

Get your results frist then take it from there!!!LOL GOOD LUCK

Empress or TransCare = Coke or Pepsi

Either has it's pros and cons, each has people that will swear by them and each has disgruntled current and former employees.

Interview at both of them and make your own decision based on what will be best for you.

Good luck!

No matter what company you choose to work at it will depend upon you to make the most out of your time there.

Transports are done everywhere and like others have said make the most of them and learn. Just because you have a transport out of a nursing home doesn't mean they aren't sick and Yes many times by the time the call comes in they are in some serious trouble. If you keep your eyes and ears open you will learn alot about pharmacology, especially polypharmcy, about diseases not just medical but psycological as well, your assessements need to be on the mark as well as your VS. You will learn alot about compassion and human nature and the smile you will recieve from that patient can melt even the most coldest heart. I have listened to my geriatric patients and the stories they tell will blow your mind.

911 jobs are also a learning experience but you have to move a little faster and make quick sound judgements and be able to interact and share the sandbox with other members of EMS. Remember you are part of a team and the team only works as well as the sum of the parts.......

My best advice is to ask your partner questions, ask your Medic questions, ask your patient questions, ask the MD/RN questions. Go over calls to see what you can do better next time, EMS is a continual learning experience, take advantage of CME lectures.....

Good luck on your new journey.

WEMS overwhelmingly does transports. If you're looking for emergency jobs, its not the place to go. That said, the working environment up there is going to be better than what you'll find elsewhere.

Transcare offers some good opportunity depending on how well you excel as an EMT. The thing is, based on the shifts you take, you'll probably end up only doing transports or only doing emergency calls. There are some notable exceptions but a clear separation generally exists. Transcare usually requires new EMT's to "put their time in" working transport shifts before they are allowed to apply for emergency shifts. It should also be noted that the emergency shifts are limited and frequently gobbled up by more experienced, senior EMT's. However, the turn over rate in EMS in this area is sufficiently high to give a new guy a chance.

Empress is unique compared to the others. A lot of people will tell you its a totally mixed system and that you'll do both emergencies and transports with each shift, but it depends on the shifts you pick up. Like Transcare, it depends on how well you excel. For the capable EMT who is willing to work hard, you can pick up ALS tours that rarely see transports. The pure BLS "Tac" shifts see a heavy mix of both. Likewise, some of the BLS Ambulance units see a heavy mix. Others (mostly Emergacare) will see very little to no regular 911.

A word about transports too, if you do get stuck doing them, make the best of it. They provide an exceptional opportunity to learn your pharmacology. This will only make you far more effective once you do advance to 911. A lot of people waste it, so my advice is not to be one of those guys. Read the paperwork front and back. Match ailments and illnesses to medications. Look up each term you are not familiar with. It pays off in the long run, especially if you decide to become a paramedic a few years down the road.

Either has it's pros and cons, each has people that will swear by them and each has disgruntled current and former employees.

Interview at both of them and make your own decision based on what will be best for you.

Good luck!

Best two peices of advice... interview at both like others mentioned its all about what you make it and what you want out of it....

WEMS= lots of transports...lots of medical knowledge with the occassional emergency

EMPRESS= Solid mix of Transports and 911 Jobs....

TransCare= Doing Transports for 6 to 12 months..lots of medical knowledge to be found.. then when you transfer over to 911 all you do is 911 and no transports. unless you need overtime.

Coverage Areas...

WEMS= mostly upper westchester and surrounding counties, with ALS 911 Territories throughout

EMPRESS= transports all over...911-in Yonkers, Mount Vernon.... and some westchester county VAC's as support staffing in the daytime..

TransCare= transports all over...911- in White Plains, New Rochelle some westchester county VAC's as support staffing in the daytime Also TransCare is part of the New York City 911 EMS System handling BLS and ALS units out of area hospitals such as Montefiore, St. Barnabas, Bronx-Lebanon, Einstein, North General, Mt. Sinai, Beth Israel South..etc...etc..

Much Luck To You Hope It Works Out Well.

Take the challenge...wrap both in paper take a sip and which ever tastes better.... :P

I don't know. I was thinking it over today and really feel like I'm just going to go with empress and learn. I don't mind all the transports, I'll just use the opportunity to learn and make the best of it. Thanx.

I worked for both WEMS and Transcare in my day. While you will do alot of transports with WEMS, you will gain alot of knowledge from the transfers if you apply yourself. I know they were mixing both GLS and ALS rigs for transports back then. I will also tell you WEMS has an excellent benefit package should you go there.

Transcare is also good. Yes you will have to work transport until you get some experience under your belt, but once you get into the 911 system, you will be doing all 911 jobs.

that being said, one thing about both of them is that the road people as well as the supervisors are really good people and good to work with.

I would also suggest you try and get into a VAC to get some experience under your belt.

Good luck,

joe

go with empress

Why would you say that??

I'll go with FDNY EMS...

I worked for both WEMS and Transcare in my day. While you will do alot of transports with WEMS, you will gain alot of knowledge from the transfers if you apply yourself. I know they were mixing both GLS and ALS rigs for transports back then. I will also tell you WEMS has an excellent benefit package should you go there.

Transcare is also good. Yes you will have to work transport until you get some experience under your belt, but once you get into the 911 system, you will be doing all 911 jobs.

that being said, one thing about both of them is that the road people as well as the supervisors are really good people and good to work with.

I would also suggest you try and get into a VAC to get some experience under your belt.

Good luck,

joe

I know they were mixing both GLS and ALS rigs for transports back then.

GLS = Geriatric Livery Service :) j/k Joe!

Why would you say that??

I'll go with FDNY EMS...

There is no FDNY class coming up, they cancelled the last one. FDNY is nice but if you don't plan on doing this for the rest of your life there are plenty of other agencies to work for that offer much of the same.

There is no FDNY class coming up, they cancelled the last one. FDNY is nice but if you don't plan on doing this for the rest of your life there are plenty of other agencies to work for that offer much of the same.

I agree with goose, i don't plan on doing ems for the rest of my life.

I don't see why FDNY EMS is not a good option even if you do not want to make it a career. They offer a FREE medic program... where else can you get an offer like that. Base salary and BLS overtime while you do mon-fri with weekend and holidays off. You can get a lot of experience there without making it your career.

I know that classes are currently POSTPONED... but we all know that isnt going to last very long. EMS is way understaffed, you arent going to see a freeze on hiring like you might see on the fire side (unfortunately)...

JBJ

19Boy1

Why would you say that??

I'll go with FDNY EMS...

I wholeheartedly agree, benefits, a union and a pension is what you need in this economy. Also their training in the TOPS program at the EMS academy is second to none. They will reteach you EMT and more. Though the job sucks at times it is the ONLY place to work EMS full time, whether as a career or waiting on another civil service list.