Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Man found burned in apartment with no sign of fire

21 posts in this topic

Man found burned in apartment with no sign of fire

Tue Jan 20, 8:52 pm ETK AP

NOXVILLE, Tenn. – Investigators are baffled as to how a man suffered second- and third-degree burns inside his apartment — even though the only sign of a fire was a candle in the bathroom. Knoxville Fire Department crews found the 56-year-old victim inside his apartment bathroom Monday afternoon with third-degree burns to his face and second-degree burns to his hands.

FULL STORY: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_bizarre_burning

I can't help wondering if he wasn't playing with matches somewhere else, got burned, then ran home when he got burned. It just sounds very odd.

I remember those kids who were playing with gasoline in a vacant lot, I think it was in Yonkers or maybe the Bronx. They got it on their clothes, and some spilled into an adjacent OMD basement and came in contact with an open flame. The kids got burned and ran for home, the building burned, and it took a while for the full story to come out.

Edited by Stepjam

Spontaneous Combustion

Any home oxgen with a burnt nasal canulas laying around!?

spontaneous human combustion doesn't occur and oxygen doesn't burn. Seeing as how he was still alive when they found him I'm going to go with Stepjam and bet he was burned at location A and found at location B. I think just about everyone here has heard of the late great Richard Pryor. After setting himself on fire he ran for blocks until being tackled by police.

spontaneous human combustion doesn't occur and oxygen doesn't burn. Seeing as how he was still alive when they found him I'm going to go with Stepjam and bet he was burned at location A and found at location B. I think just about everyone here has heard of the late great Richard Pryor. After setting himself on fire he ran for blocks until being tackled by police.

I have transported no less then 3, including one past, VERY past Chief of the Mount Vernon FD with facial burns from smoking while sporting a nasal canula.

Just throwing it out there - but in the case cited here, my gut reaction is it occurred elsewhere.

Use of after shave? Many have high alcohol contents and can burn rapidly. Set off by candle in bathroom. Burns fairly clean. (Far reaching)

says he was found in the bathroom, we had a gentleman fall in the bathroom, up against the hot radiator steam pipe and he was burnt pretty bad 2nd and 3rd

Use of after shave? Many have high alcohol contents and can burn rapidly. Set off by candle in bathroom. Burns fairly clean. (Far reaching)

This was my guess as well, but I like the radiator idea as well.

Be on the look out for those killer candles!!! :lol:

what about the lady who cleaned her bath tub with gasoline,didn't like the smell so she lit a candle! yes it did happen,She worked in MV city hall! One of the craziest calls i was ever on!

Edited by hudson144

what about the lady who cleaned her bath tub with gasoline,didn't like the smell so she lit a candle! yes it did happen,She worked in MV city hall! One of the craziest calls i was ever on!

I heard she got promoted.

How about chemicals? Or maybe he sprayed the aerosol air freshener :blink:

Edited by Scottyk107

Spontaneous Combustion

Me and Leonard Nemoy are with you on this one :rolleyes:

I think it is important, if possible to determine the types of burns he had.

Chemical, electrical and flame burns can all be caused by certain things but do not always look alike.

Is it possible that he spilled some sort of household chemical on himself that caused these as well.

My vote would be an alcohol based liquid as well. They burn pretty hot and leave very little residue, probably hot enough to cause second and third (?) degree burns.

I have transported no less then 3, including one past, VERY past Chief of the Mount Vernon FD with facial burns from smoking while sporting a nasal canula.

Just throwing it out there - but in the case cited here, my gut reaction is it occurred elsewhere.

yeah, in the presence of oxygen facial hair and plastic tubing becomes very flammable, but how many of those burns resulted in baffling injuries. My point remains, oxygen doesn't burn it just helps other things burn faster.

Call in Mulder and Scully.......

The truth is out there

Edited by FFPCogs

Over the years I have had several elderly persons with severe upper torso burns from gas fired stoves. Two of them latter passed away. The newer gas stoves without pilot lights were the culprit. All of the incidents were the same time of day and situation. Early afternoon, elderly ladies went to make a cup of tea and sit down and watch soap operas. The gas did not light with the electric pilot and the stove top was left on high. The elderly loose the sense of smell, so none smelled the gas. Later when they didn't hear the water for tea boiling they went to see why. Being old school, they struck a match right over the stove top ( unable to smell the gas ).

There was little if any fire damage to the apartments. One of the ladies had her old lady housecoat burned off of her, changed into another, went down to the garbage room to throw the burned one away and met another old lady who lived in the bldg. The other old lady saw the skin dripping off her face and called us to respond to an "unknown medical". We later learned that she had called her Doctor and made an appointment for later that afternoon, never telling the nurse she had been severly burned.