Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY To Purchase Ferrara Ladders?

119 posts in this topic

I met a Ferrara rep today, who stated they are about to close a deal with the City Of New York for the purchase of 100' rear mount aerial ladders. He stated they were the low bidder and due to the City's economy, they wanted to save as much money as possible on this purchase.

Any truth to this?

I personally don't see them going away from Seagrave, as they've made a tried-and-true product for many years.

It all comes down to either sex or money and I doubt Bloomberg is getting any so I can see then dumping Seagrave for a lower bid.

that will be cool looking and more storage on the trucks. B)

Given all the problems with Seagrave service FDNY has seen with their Aerialcopes in the last few years, this does not surprise me. AFAIK the Ferrara engines FDNY have, are performing the job, and given the economic problems, the city is trying to save where ever it can.

Seagrave mechanics are amazing, the rigs, horrible. You have to see the gross incompetence we witness when the mechanic comes to repair the truck an 06 TL and the engines new 09. Just last week the mechanic came to fix the AC, apparently the factory FAILED to connect the drains, how basic can you get! I do not think Ferrara will get the contract, the one ferrara we had we donated back to New Orleans after Katrina, the few others are at I think 26 engine and 54 and one maybe downtown. The new Engines are over 600k a piece, total BS, but apparently it is because of the 5 year warranty the city mandates in its contract.

You can soon add an additional $30K for the emissions required on trucks.

Seagrave mechanics are amazing, the rigs, horrible. You have to see the gross incompetence we witness when the mechanic comes to repair the truck an 06 TL and the engines new 09. Just last week the mechanic came to fix the AC, apparently the factory FAILED to connect the drains, how basic can you get! I do not think Ferrara will get the contract, the one ferrara we had we donated back to New Orleans after Katrina, the few others are at I think 26 engine and 54 and one maybe downtown. The new Engines are over 600k a piece, total BS, but apparently it is because of the 5 year warranty the city mandates in its contract.

The disconnected AC drain was also a problem with our 2006 Engine. Overall I think the rig was built strong, just a couple of minor things that can be chalked up as human error. Reminds me of the old saying that you never wanted to buy a GM product built on a Friday!

Every truck has it's issues, and I think Seagrave is designed for NYC. With a fleet so large, you're going to have issues, no matter what. I believe Seagrave is one of the most durable trucks out there.

NYC has always run an open spec bid. The catch is over time FDNY has developed certain demands that unless you're all ready building them its harder and more expensive to start adding. Thats how Ferrara got the Satellite pumpers and HM1 and Pierce got the Rescues. FDNY doesn't include propriety technology in their bids, but there are certain things some companies can't do, like the aerielscope ladders. I don't know the actual FDNY spec for their TL's, but I don't see it going anywhere else any time soon.

I know the one big killer for most builders on the TL spec is that the waterway may not be on the underside of the aerial. This limits the basic design to Sutphen and Seagrave/Scope. I think someone just came out with a version to comply? Maybe Ferrara? I'll have to poke around. This might be some push back aimed at Seagrave to remember that they can be replaced unless they straighten up. It seems like there are far more complaints in the last few years than ever before? Maybe it's the internet allowing us to spread the word so far and wide?

i think it would be pretty wierd seeing a ferrara ladder in the city. i think they should try pierce cause that rescue 1 is a beast. and all city trucks get a beaten after a while cause all the work they see and those roads in the city are a discrace. i wish they still had the mack cf's, they where very nice trucks. but engine 54 is a nice ferrara i can see them having ferrara engines but not ladders. they should have demos come to the city from any fire appuratus company and see what they like the best and go for the low bidders.

I think they (Ferrara) will do fine. As for "see what they like and go for the low bidders". It just doesn't usually work that way. I wish I could road test a Range Rover and get it for the price or a Jeep Liberty and warranty of a Hyundai. The fact of the matter is what FFs like best and what is the most versatile and cost efficient are typically diametrically apposed. Example: modern helmets vs traditional helmets. Anyways back to the rigs what works in one spot in the city may not work in another. Hence the appartus design must be able to do minimums in every part of the city.

don't get me wrong they are beautiful trucks, but anyways good luck with the new rig hopes it serves ur department very well

The city has a spec. That's all there is too it. With such a large fleet and many years perfecting (or trying to) our rig configuration, they've decided what works best and that's that. Who cares who's name is on the front. That makes no difference, they're all the same. It depends who's going to meet a tight spec as far as tooling for production goes. It's not about specific parts, but about size, shape and layout.

FYI, no one has anything good to say about the Ferrara engines due to smaller interior dimensions.....for whatever reason.

Also, my Co.'s rig is about 7 years old. It sucks. Rides terribly, has rust EVERYWHERE and is slower than dog sh&t......peddle to the floor everytime.

Edited by M' Ave

i think it would be pretty wierd seeing a ferrara ladder in the city. i think they should try pierce cause that rescue 1 is a beast. and all city trucks get a beaten after a while cause all the work they see and those roads in the city are a discrace. i wish they still had the mack cf's, they where very nice trucks. but engine 54 is a nice ferrara i can see them having ferrara engines but not ladders. they should have demos come to the city from any fire appuratus company and see what they like the best and go for the low bidders.

That is a good idea for test runs with different rigs

That is a good idea for test runs with different rigs

nice theory, but not so practical. No one makes a rig for the city to demo. Everything we use is very specific, no one "just makes one".

Edited by M' Ave

So if they award Ferrara the contract, they will be getting a Spartan Chassis, TCM cab and a Smeal aerial for a truck.

Yes I'm being a smart you-know-what. :P

It is quite comical that only two of us posting on here actually work on these rigs, yet you all seem to care.

It is quite comical that only two of us posting on here actually work on these rigs, yet you all seem to care.

there you go taking all the fun out it now what am i gonna read about geez

A fire truck is a fire truck. It is the men who are riding the fire truck that put the fires out not the truck.

A fire truck is a fire truck. It is the men who are riding the fire truck that put the fires out not the truck.

Yeah but if the Truck can't do what it's suppose to do once at the scene, then what good are the Men?

dose any one know what tower ladder is getting replace.

Look for the 1997 and 1998's to go first.

Look for the 1997 and 1998's to go first.

There might even be some 96's out there.

As for Seagrave being the most rugged I think the newest gereration of rigs seem to be crap. I won't even go into the pumpers. What number of rigs in the last few years need new radiators? And when they go for service your not going to see the rig for a month minimum. You can't go to a box without seeing a spare that seems to have increased.

seems to hold true for just about every manufacturer depending on who you ask. Are fire apparatus heading down the same road as the car industry. Every company has a multitude of models often with few if any significant differences and manufacturers are more concerned with production volume than quality.

There might even be some 96's out there.

As for Seagrave being the most rugged I think the newest gereration of rigs seem to be crap. I won't even go into the pumpers. What number of rigs in the last few years need new radiators? And when they go for service your not going to see the rig for a month minimum. You can't go to a box without seeing a spare that seems to have increased.

If there are, they are spares. Just in my neck of the woods, I have seen 46 Truck and 37 Truck both running spares.

A few companies by me have been running spares for awhile now with no idea when their getting there rigs back.

The Oldest Tower Ladders in front line are 1997's TL-138, TL-46, TL-21 are in line for new rigs if they ever arrive. The order from Seagrave keeps getting pushed back due to redesign of the Aerialscope part now called AerialscopeII. The last TL'S the FDNY got had many problems with the Bucket controls and were out of service more than in for a long time, seems like they have finally found out problem and corrected. These were the 06 year TL'S, none have been delivered since then.